JP Muller My Army and Navy System

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, peter yates, Harry Hayfield

Internalfitness

JP Muller My Army and Navy System

Post by Internalfitness » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:17 pm

As a fan of Muller (many years ago I completed 'My System' and then the 'Daily Five Minutes' before drifting off for some reason) I have been keen to get hold of his 'Army and Navy System'. Spending a little more than I wanted I finally managed it! Slight disappointment in that it is mainly the use of partner where this differs from the main system - but still a great read, as with all of his works.
Muller Army and Navy.jpg
Muller Army and Navy.jpg (105.12 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
Richie

David Gentle

Re: JP Muller My Army and Navy System

Post by David Gentle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:39 pm

Mullers 2My System" books for men/women/boys etc sold by the million which proves how popular he was. its funny, but looking back, if you were to follow such a system now, you would still benefit without using up nervous energy and improve your fitness. Ive never ever seen any references to him using weights. even the book you mention is one of the rarest ones of the series. These early physical culturists certainly helped improve the social system and lives of the poor and undernourished average man, so these guys deserve credit for their early attempts to improve the average physique and health David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 pm

Very true David - I certainly felt my fitness improved when I did the 'System'. I believe a lot of Mullers work fed into modern rehabilitation exercises, which is no great surprise. Range of motion exercises, progression plans, it's all you need if you really do want to just do that 15 (or 5) minutes of exercise per day.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:51 pm

Awesome find & acquisition Richie! 8-)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:44 pm

HI RICHIE,
GREAT FIND THERE AND ALL THE MORE SO BECAUSE YOU HAVE ACTUALLY BENEFITED FROM FOLLOWING HIS INSTRUCTIONS WHICH IS THE ONLY PROOF WORTH ANYTHING. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A BIG FAN OF ANYTHING THAT WILL GET THE AVERAGE PERSON UP AND MOVING WITHOUT THE NECESSITY OF EQUIPMENT. FOR GENERAL HEALTH AND VITALITY IT MAY BE ENOUGH OR AS CAN BE USED AS A SPRINGBOARD TO OTHER METHODS.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Me too Peter!

In my brief 'gym' days I was told more than once I had an excellent 'responsive' body for weight work - sadly the mind was not of the same stuff, lol. Developing an umbilical hernia was the final straw and that is when I moved over solely to exercises that could be picked up whenever I actually felt like it. With Muller, Walter Camp's Daily Dozen, Qi Gong routines and many others, I have routines that make me feel good, pump me up, wind me down and generally do what I want at that moment in time. I am one who speaks highly of the Bullworker (having actually spent time developing a progressive and then maintenance plan) and strand pulling for strength development, although overall I think that my big strength 'secret' is the press up!

Richie

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:10 pm

HI RICHIE,
LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE ALL BASES COVERED FOR YOUR NEEDS AND ALL CAN BE READILY PRACTICED THROUGHOUT LIFE.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:54 am

Hi, If you visit my articles you will see one entitled. "Waiting for the weights" its a variety of exercises you can do without equipment, and yet still give you a tough workout, and without any expense, and the exercises can be done anywhere, anytime. take a look see. David Gentle. Just a tip, if even press ups are hard for you, do them on the stairs, gradually working down steps until on the bottom step, then the floor. High rep free squats, press ups and chins or pull ups really cover most groups. and if you are really tough, you can advance to single leg squats, one arm press ups and single arm pull ups to a bar. For the latter, use one arm to pull up, and the other hold your elbow, gradually working the helping arm away from the wrist. Another cheap bit of useful apparatus is a wrist roller, just a short piece of tube with a hole drilled in the centre, a chord dangling and a weight tied to the end, then gradually wind the weight up the chord with wrist strength only. great for forearms. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:09 pm

SO TRUE DAVID. I AM AMAZED WHEN I HEAR PEOPLE SAY THEY CANNOT TRAIN BECAUSE THERE IS NO GYM IN THE AREA OR THEY HAVE NO EQUIPMENT OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR EXCUSE. SO MANY GREAT BODY WEIGHT MOVEMENTS AVAILABLE AND REGULAR THINGS AROUND THE HOUSE CAN BE USED TOO SUCH AS GALLON MILK JUGS FILLED WITH WATER OR SAND. WHEREVER YOUR BODY IS YOU HAVE A GYM. DESIRE, DETERMINATION, IMAGINATION AND HARD WORK WILL DO THE TRICK.I DO NOT THINK ANYONE CAN OUT GROW PUSH UPS AND PULL UPS WITH THEIR MANY VARIATIONS.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Muller understood muscular physiology . It's relationship to movement and practical application
to sports (in his case skiing) . He was all inclusive with a great concern for including programs for
women , children and making training lifelong to increase quality of life . He was among the quintessential
physical culturists in history and his printed works are like gold . Will always be relevant and productive .
Living documentation .