Octogenarian update

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Post Reply
peter yates
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:49 am

I recently received a new years greeting form Arnold Betts from New Zealand.Arnold will be 84 this year and informs me his training is going well and he is still making progress with his spring expanders, which along with Maxalding is his main training method these days. Arnold also takes long walks and keeps his brain active with Spanish language lessons. To learn more about Arnold and his life check out my article "A lifetime of Physical Culture" on this site.
Another man in his 80s and still going strong is Kevin Fitzgerald who is still using some commendable poundage in his training sessions.Kev trains twice weekly on a combination of barbells and bodyweight exercises plus daily walks with Sammy his dog. Kev has had a very interesting life and you can read more in my article "Deafness of the mind,triumph of the spirit" on this site. Both men have trained their whole lives and show no sign of slowing up.An inspiration to us all.
This quote seems to apply quite well to these gentlemen and others of a similar age who are still training. "We do not stop playing because we become old,we become old because we stop playing." Keep playing with the iron.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

User avatar
Harry Hayfield
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:17 pm
Location: Llanrhystud, Ceredigion, Wales
Contact:

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Please pass on our Happy New Year wishes to him and his family and ask if he would be willing to post any pictures of his physique (as I cannot think of many 80 year olds who are training)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

User avatar
colinkbell
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 am
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by colinkbell » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi Peter, I hate to be that guy, but I can't find your articles mentioned?
Thanks
Colin
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

peter yates
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:44 pm

colinkbell wrote:Hi Peter, I hate to be that guy, but I can't find your articles mentioned?
Thanks
Colin
Hi Colin, no problem.Sorry i am not savy enough to put the links but you can do it this way.1 click on PC library, 2 click on writer's circle,3 click on title index then scroll down until you find the articles.You may also find a lot more that you have not read yet.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:Please pass on our Happy New Year wishes to him and his family and ask if he would be willing to post any pictures of his physique (as I cannot think of many 80 year olds who are training)
Hi Harry, there are several photos of both Arnold and Kevin accompanying their respective articles.Arnold at i believe 81 and 82 and Kev at 79. When i visit Kev and we train he keeps up with me pound for pound and rep for rep.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:31 pm

As we are on this topic i was wondering if anyone else out there knows of anyone still training at 80 plus. I know of several who are in their 70s still engaged in various forms of physical culture and who will hopefully be still doing so when they pass the 80 mark. Kicking things off with two that i know of. Carl Linich,weightlifter, strongman,wrestler and collector of iron game memorabilia, still going strong at 80. Our very own David Gentle is another who has passed the 80 mark and has been training all of his life and still at it, favoring the cables.Big respect to these men. So any others out there?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 am

peter yates wrote:I recently received a new years greeting form Arnold Betts from New Zealand.Arnold will be 84 this year and informs me his training is going well and he is still making progress with his spring expanders, which along with Maxalding is his main training method these days. Arnold also takes long walks and keeps his brain active with Spanish language lessons. To learn more about Arnold and his life check out my article "A lifetime of Physical Culture" on this site.
Another man in his 80s and still going strong is Kevin Fitzgerald who is still using some commendable poundage in his training sessions.Kev trains twice weekly on a combination of barbells and bodyweight exercises plus daily walks with Sammy his dog. Kev has had a very interesting life and you can read more in my article "Deafness of the mind,triumph of the spirit" on this site. Both men have trained their whole lives and show no sign of slowing up.An inspiration to us all.
This quote seems to apply quite well to these gentlemen and others of a similar age who are still training. "We do not stop playing because we become old,we become old because we stop playing." Keep playing with the iron.
Regards, Peter.
Thanks for the update on Arnold Betts & Kevin Fitzgerald, Peter. Very inspiring, much respect to them! :)

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 am

colinkbell wrote:Hi Peter, I hate to be that guy, but I can't find your articles mentioned?
Thanks
Colin
Here you are Colin:

Arnold Betts a Lifetime of Physical Culture

Deafness of the Mind Triumph of the Spirit

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:58 am

peter yates wrote:As we are on this topic i was wondering if anyone else out there knows of anyone still training at 80 plus. I know of several who are in their 70s still engaged in various forms of physical culture and who will hopefully be still doing so when they pass the 80 mark. Kicking things off with two that i know of. Carl Linich,weightlifter, strongman,wrestler and collector of iron game memorabilia, still going strong at 80. Our very own David Gentle is another who has passed the 80 mark and has been training all of his life and still at it, favoring the cables.Big respect to these men. So any others out there?
Regards,Peter.
The first to come to my mind is the legendary Bill Pearl, who's still training & going strong at 86! One of my all-time favorites! :)

peter yates
Posts: 2697
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:48 am

Hi Danny, thanks for this.A real legend and what bodybuilding and healthy lifestyle is all about. I heard recently that he has Parkinson disease but is still training. A man of value and a man of courage,God bless him.
Peter.
Peter Yates

Post Reply