Octogenarian update

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:33 am

Just heard from Arnold Betts in New Zealand where just like most other countries self isolation is in place. Arnold is nearing 90 and does not seem to be slowing up.Going grocery shopping early in the morning when the time is reserved for seniors, training at home with his cables and Maxalding, chopping wood for the winter and taking a walk at night when no one is around to get his daily 10,000 steps in.An example to us all.So good to hear that he and his wife Mary are both doing alright at this time.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 am

great to hear your friend is doing well peter. 90 years young and a great example of age being a number.total respect to arnolds life style.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:08 am

Thanks Ray, i will pass it on. Did you ever read the article in the Library "A lifetime of Physical Culture?" That tells some of his story.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 am

i will read it later. just bought a complete gym yesterday. in the process of transfering the equipment to my barn. 600 kgs of weights 3 olympic bars, polaris lat machine, 2 benches incline and flat leg extension machine dipping bars adjustble dumbels.and loads more.all heavy duty equipmant.
Attachments
new gym.jpg
new gym.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 2166 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:34 am

Hey Ray, that is terrific mate.Did you get them used or new? Will be a workout just setting things up. Please post photos when you have everything in place.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:15 am

they are used. got them from a friend in the next village who is going back to england. he brought them over when he moved here 10 years ago. he purchased them from a gym closed down in cornwall.he was a martial artist. he has lots of boxing and other equipment. lots of stuff that judo and karate athletes would use. bags ,gloves etc. 64 square meters of high quality matting which as you know are used to soften the fall when thrown.however i am only interested in the weights and machines. spent ages today dismantling the lat machine and leg extension. going back tomorrow for some more.i reckon it will take a few more days to get everything installed. i will post photos when all is done. regards, ray.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:56 am

I suppose the winner of the oldest most active guy has to go to dear old Poppa Joe Assirati, when martial art author, champion and my friend Lee Morrison went to visit Joe near the Elephant and Castle, we went out for a meal at a local pub, on the way, and Lee already wrote about this in Iron Game History, Joe would do calf raises on the kerb, various stretches and bends, and a sort of beginners version of press ups from off a wall, he was 98. and died soon after, when i wrote his obit in Muscle Mob at the time our own Mobster, Steve was editor. Joe also gave us a song. I also visited him with Steve as he will recall. Joe really was one of a kind. p.s as Peter will know, i am currently writing a piece on Joes cousin Bert, the infamous wrestler, and i had to dig out his files and of course came across all the letters Joe had sent me which almost brought me to tears so beloved a man was he. David Gentle.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Just using this thread to welcome to the site a gentleman who has proven that regular exercise both of resistance training and cardio-vascular types,plus good nutrition and positive mental outlook,adjusted to fit the needs of the individual, will reap dividends throughout one's lifetime. Clarence Bass, now an octogenarian, has done something that few others have. That is document his journey at various stages of his life,both with regular medical assessments and photographic evidence. If there is a fountain of youth,Clarence has found it,and it is available to anyone.Check out his website "RIPPED."
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:47 am

Sad to report the loss of one of my octogenarian friends and sometime training partner Kev Fitzgerald. Kev and i would train together whenever i visited the UK and he could still kick my butt in his 80s. A few weeks ago he found out he had late stage lung cancer related to working with asbestos.He attributed his life time training to his never being sick, while those he worked with died soon after retirement.Thankfully he went quickly and peacefully in his sleep.Condolences to his family and friends.I will miss him.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates