Octogenarian update

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Mobster

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by Mobster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:45 am

I watched this great video of Ernestine Shepherd yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhIJlVcf2Q

Also 80+

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Mobster wrote:I watched this great video of Ernestine Shepherd yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhIJlVcf2Q

Also 80+
Great call Steve, much respect to Ernestine Shepherd! I've seen some stuff about her on Facebook, she's a very inspiring woman. :)

http://ernestineshepherd.net/

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for the reminder about this wonderful lady.Not only did she turn her own life around but she has continued helping others to do the same.A real inspiration for sure.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:40 am

DannyBoy wrote:
colinkbell wrote:Hi Peter, I hate to be that guy, but I can't find your articles mentioned?
Thanks
Colin
Here you are Colin:

Arnold Betts a Lifetime of Physical Culture

Deafness of the Mind Triumph of the Spirit
Very inspirational these 2 men! Arnold is in fantastic shape for 81, I am only 31 but I really hope to continue to train my whole life. I use barbells and dumbells but it's very interesting to see the use of cable expanders, I think I'll have to look up what they can help achieve.

The second article doesn't work and I can't find it on the site? I think it may be broken "deafness of the mind" does not load.

Fantastic website, it just keeps giving. I'll have to sign up to the library :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:48 am

Hi Tom,
All of my articles are now in the library so please sign up,you will be glad you did.Once in the library, to read Deafness of the mind,click on authors index then Y and you will find a list of articles i have written there.You have started training at a great time in your life and if you continue there is no reason why you should not be able to do so for the rest of your life,with adjustments of course,as many members on the forum are doing.Anyway you have come to a good place with members who have many years experience in a wide range of strength and PC activities.BTW i will be in the UK shortly and training with Kevin in his backyard shed.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Here is another 80 year old still showing how it is done.Berliner Wolfgang Sadowski is in training for the 2017 European masters weightlifting championships.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_PyRwwx8ws
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 am

peter yates wrote:Here is another 80 year old still showing how it is done.Berliner Wolfgang Sadowski is in training for the 2017 European masters weightlifting championships.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_PyRwwx8ws
Thanks Peter. Much good fortune to Mr. Sadowski in the competition and in breaking the world record for over 80s.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 am

Hi guys,
yesterday i had spent a wonderful afternoon with a very remarkable man and his wife. Mr. and Mrs,Carl and Audrey Linich. I have known about Carl for many years first reading about him in Strength and Health magazine many years ago and have recently got to know him on the Iron History Forum.Carl has had extensive experience in several PC disciplines.Wrestler, weightlifter,bodybuilder also dipping into track,hand balancing,tumbling etc.Carl was Policeman for many years and also taught self defense classes for over 25 years. He has known many famous wrestlers and strongmen over the years and was a good friend of Andy Jackson until Andy's passing. Carl has a very nice collection of old time barbells/dumbbells including Jackson made. He began collecting globe barbells after a visit to Sig Klein's NY city gym where he was taught the finer points of the side press and bent press, a Klein speciality.Now in his eighties Carl is healthy, bright,intelligent with a positive outlook on life, even though a severe back injury several years ago makes it difficult for him to walk now.However he was told that he would not be able to walk at the time but defied that prognosis. While Carl and i spent a few good hours talking training and PC personalities, i also had a lovely conversation with Audrey.We men tend to forget the amazing role our wive's, girlfriends and mothers play in supporting our strange past times. I am certainly glad i was able to meet and visit with this wonderful couple, and wish them many more years of being in each others company.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:53 pm

peter yates wrote:Hi guys,
yesterday i had spent a wonderful afternoon with a very remarkable man and his wife. Mr. and Mrs,Carl and Audrey Linich. I have known about Carl for many years first reading about him in Strength and Health magazine many years ago and have recently got to know him on the Iron History Forum.Carl has had extensive experience in several PC disciplines.Wrestler, weightlifter,bodybuilder also dipping into track,hand balancing,tumbling etc.Carl was Policeman for many years and also taught self defense classes for over 25 years. He has known many famous wrestlers and strongmen over the years and was a good friend of Andy Jackson until Andy's passing. Carl has a very nice collection of old time barbells/dumbbells including Jackson made. He began collecting globe barbells after a visit to Sig Klein's NY city gym where he was taught the finer points of the side press and bent press, a Klein speciality.Now in his eighties Carl is healthy, bright,intelligent with a positive outlook on life, even though a severe back injury several years ago makes it difficult for him to walk now.However he was told that he would not be able to walk at the time but defied that prognosis. While Carl and i spent a few good hours talking training and PC personalities, i also had a lovely conversation with Audrey.We men tend to forget the amazing role our wive's, girlfriends and mothers play in supporting our strange past times. I am certainly glad i was able to meet and visit with this wonderful couple, and wish them many more years of being in each others company.
Regards,Peter.
Thanks for sharing this Peter. I wasn't familiar with Carl Linich, but he sounds like a great guy and a great example of living the physical culture lifestyle. :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 am

Just received an email from Arnold Betts in New Zealand. Next year Arnold will be celebrating his 85th year and over 70 years of training. He tells me he is still improving on the strands and trains 5 days a week still with both strands and Maxalding. He goes by the day and how he feels and adjusts the intensity accordingly, and says that this ability to adjust is one of the benefits of the Maxalding system.Recently he found the initial letter he received from Court Saldo which began his training in Maxalding and a friendship with his trainer.Arnold is living proof that a person can continue to train into senior years as long they adjust to needs. Arnold mentioned that far from depleting energy this combination gives him energy while maintaining strength and muscularity.Wishing Arnold many more years of happy training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates