Octogenarian update

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Handson

Re: Octogenarian update

Post by Handson » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 am

Hi Peter

I noticed this article online just now.
Moral of this tale?
Don't mess with octogenarian powerlifters!

Regards

Handson
Attachments
Old Powerlifters Never Die.jpg
Old Powerlifters Never Die.jpg (236.72 KiB) Viewed 11921 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks for this Hanson,
interesting but our old mate Kevin Fitzgerald just had his house broken into. He was woken early one morning by his faithful dog Sammy[AKA Russel the muscle] going crazy,he knew something was up so grabbed a shoe horn,[ doesn't own a gun,] once downstairs he saw a guy in the kitchen who looked terrified to see a snarling dog and a thick set naked man brandishing what looked like a knife. The guy turned and jumped back through the broken window.Lucky for him that Kev and Sammy did not get hold of him.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 pm

peter yates wrote:Thanks for this Hanson,
interesting but our old mate Kevin Fitzgerald just had his house broken into. He was woken early one morning by his faithful dog Sammy[AKA Russel the muscle] going crazy,he knew something was up so grabbed a shoe horn,[ doesn't own a gun,] once downstairs he saw a guy in the kitchen who looked terrified to see a snarling dog and a thick set naked man brandishing what looked like a knife. The guy turned and jumped back through the broken window.Lucky for him that Kev and Sammy did not get hold of him.
Regards,Peter.
Wow, I'm sorry that happened, but for sure glad to know Kevin is alright. Much respect to Kevin and God bless him. I hope the police find the guy who did it.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 am

Thanks Danny, Kev is fine but i do not think the thief would have been if Kev had got hold of him.He is still one tough, strong dude.Unfortunately i doubt if he will get caught unless it is in the actual act. So much of this happening often after drug money and the police are stretched thin. Still i hope he does get caught somewhere down the line,sooner than later.
Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:47 am

Odd Haugen shared this on his Facebook page a couple days ago:

This gentleman isn't an octogenarian, but actually a nonagenarian and his name is John Gilmour. This photo is from when he was 92, he's now 95 and still continues to compete as an AAU powerlifter.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks Danny, he looks great, reminds me of Karl Norberg. Do you have any further information on his background?Would love to know more about him.Maybe we should call it octogenarian and beyond update. :D
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:33 am

DannyBoy wrote:Odd Haugen shared this on his Facebook page a couple days ago:

This gentleman isn't an octogenarian, but actually a nonagenarian and his name is John Gilmour. This photo is from when he was 92, he's now 95 and still continues to compete as an AAU powerlifter.

Wow! Very inspiring. Shows how much weight training can keep your quality of life going as we age. Hes in better shape than some of my friends in their 30s

Handson

Post by Handson » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Inspirational indeed.
Lateral delts look good.
See also the YouTube video of his 209lb ‘cold’ bench press at AAU meet at age 91.
Handson.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks mate, will do.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 am

peter yates wrote:Thanks Danny, he looks great, reminds me of Karl Norberg. Do you have any further information on his background?Would love to know more about him.Maybe we should call it octogenarian and beyond update. :D
Regards,Peter.
Hey Peter, John Gilmour reminds me of Karl Norberg as well now that you mention. I was able to find this article on him from The Mercury News; https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/04/07/ ... o-his-90s/

And here's the video Handson mentioned:

youtu.be/a8jZqsb1RUM

Mr. Gilmour is impressive and an inspiration.