MY LIFE IN THE IRON GAME

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

MY LIFE IN THE IRON GAME

Post by peter yates » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 am

Hi guys,
i have just finished a darn good read which i heartily recommend to anyone interested in the history of the iron game which i believe means most of us on this forum. This book deals with bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman from the 1960s through to the 1990s and written by a man who excelled in all three activities, while simultaneously occupied in a difficult and stressful job as a fireman.Ray Nobile won numerous regional,Scottish, British,European and World titles in all three disciplines during his long competitive career. His book mentions many famous competitors with whom battled for honors yet became good friends with. It had been some time since i had seen photos of Ray and i was once again struck by how powerful and rugged his physique looked, even as a powerlifter with increased weight he still had a great shape. This is an E-book and at 5 Euros is the price of a couple of cups coffee but is an enjoyable, entertaining and interesting read that is worth much more.You can purchase the E-book from the site Strength-old school.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Re: MY LIFE IN THE IRON GAME

Post by David Gentle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 am

Pete, the name Ray Nobile sound very familiar to me as i was still power lifting in S.A.W.L.A. at that time, can you give me any dates so i can look him up in my back issues of Health and Strength, I have a picture in my head and my pal, David Webster would have k nown him for sure if he came from over the boarder. David. by co incidence, i have another mate name of Noel Nobile or le, and he, a former opera singer was also a great lifter, he is still around about 93 in a home where i visit him, he gave me his collection, masses of mags which i treasure, he was also a bawla REF.David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Ray thick as a brick with good hair ...
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 9245 times

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks Peter, Ray Nobile's not someone I was familiar with before your above post. I found this great photo of him squatting.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:09 am

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
The point where bodybuilding & powerlifting met . Ray Nobile and Ron Collins
symbolized all around strength and great physiques . Two of my favorite weight men.
Ronnie good friends with Dr. Ken and loved to visit the states .Ron shown here looked very much
like Ray .

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 am

Rays done it all, is an unbelieveable guy,and is in crazy shape still today, a true legend...
---------
~Dave

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:07 pm

sticksb wrote:
IMG.jpg
The point where bodybuilding & powerlifting met . Ray Nobile and Ron Collins
symbolized all around strength and great physiques . Two of my favorite weight men.
Ronnie good friends with Dr. Ken and loved to visit the states .Ron shown here looked very much
like Ray .
Indeed, Ron Collins was a really great powerlifter and had a great physique to boot. A great guy too I understand, Eamon Toal always speaks of Ron in the highest regard.

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:25 am

DannyBoy wrote:Thanks Peter, Ray Nobile's not someone I was familiar with before your above post. I found this great photo of him squatting.

me squating 320kgs for reps coached by chris maitland.year was 1980.loved that york t shirt. bought it in ohio when i was competing in the 79 worlds.couldnt buy these shirts in scotland at that time.chriss was a british odd lift champion in the mid 50s.also a scottish competitor in the olympic lifts.his speciality in the odd lifts being the bent press.chris and jim moir were training partners.jim moir emigrated to cannada in the late 60s. opened a gym in torronto.he won his class at the world powerlifting champs in 1980,held in arlington texas.jim was the person who made me want to try powerlifting.in 1975 chris and i drove to birmingham,england to watch the worlds.it was there i was introduced to jim who was competing.as he had family in glasgow we drove him there after the comp.4 hour drive but he taught me a lot about the powerlifts etc.the 75 worlds was the first power show i had ever seen.i had seen larry pacifico in iron mag mags,but to see him lift in real life was amazing. little was i to know i would be 2nd to him at the 1978 worlds in findland.great guy we are still friends to this day.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:35 pm

sticksb wrote:Ray thick as a brick with good hair ...
Hi Chris, in Britain the phrase " Thick as a brick," can have a very different meaning,however i am sure Ray knows exactly what you mean. :lol:
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:33 am

yes peter i know exactly what you mean :lol: