MY LIFE IN THE IRON GAME

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

raynobile

Re: MY LIFE IN THE IRON GAME

Post by raynobile » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:36 am

sticksb wrote:Ray thick as a brick with good hair ...
me at 17 years of age winning jnr mr scotland.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi Ray, was this first time you had won the title and how many contests had you been in before this? Also what body weight were you at the time? Your Physique looks more mature than your years and we have spoken of this before, but i suspect that your Italian heritage had something to do with that,as the Italian guys i trained with seemed to mature early and build muscle quickly. John Citrone also comes to mind as although not a big guy he was very strong and densely muscled.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:17 am

hipeter,yesthis hi peter yes this was the 1st of my 3 jnr scotland wins, bwt 12 stone or so.competed since 15 yrs old. won a few local shows before this. don dorans trained me for 4 years after my first win.he had moved back to his native scotland then.used to visit him at his home in prestwick.on his advice i became a maxalding pupil.this taught me muscle control which was beneficial for my posing routine.as you know,having read my book,i mentioned don and his help in my contest prep.he was way ahead of hiis time regarding training and nutrition.one of the nicest people i have ever met. regards, ray,

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:33 pm

This is fascinating reading. For me, anyway, i think strength training these days has got too heavily business marketed. I love reading how you guys got the job done with no frills! Thanks,Colin.
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:09 am

Hi Ray, I love the fact you trained under Don Dorans. I also trained under his guidance and as you say, he was years ahead of his time. His mail order course was the most genuinely personal of the lot. After making great progress for the first course, i eventually trained under him personally for about 2 years. Later we met at one of the Oscar dinners and became great friends, his wife was also a lovely lady and we all kept in touch until his sad demise i wrote his obit in Health and Strength. I still have all his letters , hand written, and courses and now and then run through them using far lighter weights that i did at the time. I also wrote several articles based on his ideas, eg. A unique strength system, which i gave him full credit for, its on the site somewhere.(I put 100lbs on my best bench press using it over about six weeks) I know he got on well with Arnold when he first came over and trained with the Bennetts/Bob Woolgar dynasty. Great memories, great bloke. David Gentle. p.s. funnily enough you mentioned Maxalding, i trained with Don AFTER coming off the maxalding course, ran by Court Saldo, another true gentleman and again his course was designed for the individual, i just liked the idea of someone else providing me wit a schedule to do, rather than changing around every week as i once did when buying the old Weider mags, every issue they brought out had a new system, so we dropped the one we were doing and used the next one, thus not giving any schedule chance to work. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 am

yes david,don was way ahead of his time as regards training,nutrition and engineer of unique equipment.his flying machine,not an areoplane :lol: ,was fantastic and his recumbent leg press equaly so.i was the guiney pig to try these out.in 1968 i was an instructor in the nordic health studios in glasgow. don turned up to sell these machines to the owner, so i had to try them out.needless to say they were bought right away. going out now but will tell another story of don experimenting with vitamin e.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:02 am

Hi Ray and David, great hearing your personal reminiscences about this wonderful trainer and his innovative ideas. From what i know he was designing equipment before it was used in the USA but did not get full credit for it.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 am

don trained me for most of my jnr wins.when he moved to scotland, it was to the coastal town of prestwick.this was 50miles from my home.he was training me for the 1970 jnr mr scotland .every second saturday i would visit him at his home,this would be to let him see my condition.one saturday when i arrived, his housekeeper told me don was out cycling on his bike. but that he would be back in 15 minutes.sure enough he came cycling up his driveway. he told me that he had done a 10 mile time trial.now this was 2 oclock in the afternoon.this was his second 10mile time trial of that day.his first being at 8 that morning.he had done this in order to find out the benefits of vitamin e for endurances purpose.on his first run he never took any vitamin e.on his second run he took a big dose of vit e .he knocked off 3 minutes off of his morning run. don was 60years old then.as i said he was way ahead of his time regarding nutrition. decades later the atkins diet came out and the ketogenic diet became popular with bodybuilders. don was advocating this years before. example.....he had me eating 2lbs of lambs liver and a dozen eggs daily, spread over 4 meals, all fried in butter.this i followed for 12 weeks before my contest.if i got hungry then i could have raw chicken liver blended with eggs and pure orange juice.it worked wonders on my physique and i won my contest easily,another time i will tell you about liqued liver and amino acids, which later became popularised in the mags in the 80s. don had me taking those in 1969.direct from his brother who was a pharmacist.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks Ray, yes many people talk about Vince and his dietary approach but Don was as you mention doing it much earlier. Also just another example of the all round approach to training versus the all show and no go boys. Thomas Inch was i believe also a good cyclist.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates