ULTRA-RARE SANDOW BARBELL FOUND

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

peter yates

Re: ULTRA-RARE SANDOW BARBELL FOUND

Post by peter yates » Sun May 07, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Tom,
Fantastic find and great story behind it.Thank you so much for sharing it with the forum.I look forward to seeing them in the flesh so to speak.Any news on the French bells?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom Balchin

Post by Tom Balchin » Mon May 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes, re French bells, I have a number of contacts in France, and one of them has put me in touch with a former pro bodybuilder called Patrice, who has some really nice globe barbells and dumbbells. We're off to France for a few days next month and I hope to be able to meet up with him to see if I can purchase these from him, and also a view a similar collection owned by one of his friends (which is not for consideration of sale)... here is his collection.. some very nice old bells!

Tom
Attachments
2017-05-09_00-55-22.jpg
2017-05-09_00-55-22.jpg (351.87 KiB) Viewed 9972 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue May 09, 2017 5:33 am

Hey Tom,
It will be good to go over and meet those guys and see what they have.It will be a good connection and may lead to further acquisitions in the future.BTW i sent you a couple of emails about visiting when i am over but not sure if you got them.Could you let me know please.Thanks.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Amazing as always Dr. Tom!
---------
~Dave

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue May 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Tom Balchin wrote:Thanks guys!

Yes, re French bells, I have a number of contacts in France, and one of them has put me in touch with a former pro bodybuilder called Patrice, who has some really nice globe barbells and dumbbells. We're off to France for a few days next month and I hope to be able to meet up with him to see if I can purchase these from him, and also a view a similar collection owned by one of his friends (which is not for consideration of sale)... here is his collection.. some very nice old bells!

Tom
Great stuff Tom, I hope you're able to acquire these globe barbells & dumbbells! :) What part of France will you be going to?

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon May 15, 2017 3:38 pm

Well don't be envious guys but i will be going down to see Dr.Tom and his amazing collection on my trip to the UK next month.From there i will be going further south to visit the one and only David Gentle and get a glimpse of his outstanding collection of PC memorabilia. What a trip to be able to meet up with these two great guys and have the opportunity of seeing up close two of the best collections of their type.Very grateful for their welcoming generosity.Of course i will also be meeting up again with my old pals Gil Waldron and Kevin Fitzgerald and other good people. Photo will be taken and as usual a write up when i get back.Looking forward to it.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 am

peter yates wrote:Well don't be envious guys but i will be going down to see Dr.Tom and his amazing collection on my trip to the UK next month.From there i will be going further south to visit the one and only David Gentle and get a glimpse of his outstanding collection of PC memorabilia. What a trip to be able to meet up with these two great guys and have the opportunity of seeing up close two of the best collections of their type.Very grateful for their welcoming generosity.Of course i will also be meeting up again with my old pals Gil Waldron and Kevin Fitzgerald and other good people. Photo will be taken and as usual a write up when i get back.Looking forward to it.
Regards,Peter.
Sounds like it'll be a great time Peter! I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy visiting! :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks mate, will do.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:54 am

Thanks to Tom Balchin for a wonderful tour of his barbell museum and great workout too.I was able to get up close and personal with the Sandow barbell among other absolute gems in Tom's possession.There really is something palpable being in the midst of all that iron game history.Tom has done a great service in rescuing and rehabing them for future generations to enjoy. Photos will be forthcoming.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates