Tiger Joe Robinson dead aged 90

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Internalfitness

Tiger Joe Robinson dead aged 90

Post by Internalfitness » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 pm

I think Joe has been mentioned on this forum a few times - so when I saw this I thought I would post it here.

"His family announced the news, revealing he passed away following a short illness."
Joe and Primo.jpg
Joe and Primo.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 11534 times

Harry Hayfield

Re: Tiger Joe Robinson dead aged 90

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:55 pm

And a peplum star to boot:

Taur the Mighty (1963), Thor and the Amazon Women (1963) and Ursus and the Tartar Princess (1961)

Other appearances include:

Carry on Regardless (1961) where he playd Dan Grimsby who was a boxer with the following involvement: "Lefty Vincent, a boxing friend of Bert pops into the office. He requires four helping hands to act as seconds for his fighter Dynamite Dan. When they get to the venue, Dan is obviously terrified by his opponent, Mickey McGee so pretends that Gabriel has sprained his finger. The fight is off, but Gabriel is incensed by McGee that he takes him on in the ring, and wins!"
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks for posting Richie and sorry to hear of it,but glad to know he had a long life. Harry I watched that movie with my sister a week or so ago in the UK. Gabriel was played by Charles Hawtry who was not by any stretch of the imagination well developed,but that was part of the fun.The carry on films were certainly not politically correct by today's standards but very funny all the same.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 pm

There's another allusion to physical culture in "Carry on up the Khyber" when the British delegation arrive at the Khasi's palace and are announced by a clear parody of the Rank organisation emblem (a muscular man hitting a massive gong), the joke being their version is not and the Khasi's not very happy about it causing him to declare "Rank Stupidity"
Rank Stupidiity.jpg
Rank Stupidiity.jpg (15.8 KiB) Viewed 11522 times
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 am

Sad news, but Joe Robinson sure lived a long life. I've seen him in the 007 movie Diamonds Are Forever with Sean Connery & Charles Gray, The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll with Paul Massie & Christopher Lee (it was a very minor role), and probably the best movie he was ever in; The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner with Tom Courtenay & Michael Redgrave, a really superb film. He was a professional wrestler once upon a time too, European Heavyweight Champion back in the early 1950s.

May Joe Robinson rest in peace and may God bless & comfort all of his family & friends.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 am

Sad about joe, When I was just a lay about yob after i left school, i decided to take up wrestling as i used to watch it down the local Stadium in Southampton. Joe with his brother whos name escapes me, used as a side line to teach wrestling or more often Ju jitsu and i went to his classes for about six months in Portswood, near Soton in some school gym I think his brother was Doug who died earlier. anyway. A nice bloke you could not wish to meet, very handsome. trouble is i had to learn how to fall and what i thought was boring stuff, i wanted to get on with beating people up. but he did teach me some great bits and pieces, mainly good hip throws finishing with an arm breaking lock for submission, which came in handy when having a ding dong with the trouble and strife (Mobster will translate) I also went to Jimmy "Judo" Noices clubs, he was a miserable sod, so that did,nt last long.I am sure i told you the story of how wrestlers always look after each other, i.e. b and b if in the district etc. Noice had The French Angel staying with him, he also had an annoying neighbour always scrounging milk or tea off him. so door gets knocked by neighbour on the bum again, Jim says to the Angel (Tibbet) who had a head about 2ft long, to answer her. Angel opens door, neighbour feints at sight of the monster, and Noice is never bothered again for milk, sugar or indeed anything. try it , it works. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 am

Love your stories David.However i am sure it is Rosemary who would be putting on the submission hold in any ding dong that was to occur.Also do not forget i left the needles with her so all she has to do is make a nice little voodoo doll. :lol:
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:27 pm

David Gentle wrote:Sad about joe, When I was just a lay about yob after i left school, i decided to take up wrestling as i used to watch it down the local Stadium in Southampton. Joe with his brother whos name escapes me, used as a side line to teach wrestling or more often Ju jitsu and i went to his classes for about six months in Portswood, near Soton in some school gym I think his brother was Doug who died earlier. anyway. A nice bloke you could not wish to meet, very handsome. trouble is i had to learn how to fall and what i thought was boring stuff, i wanted to get on with beating people up. but he did teach me some great bits and pieces, mainly good hip throws finishing with an arm breaking lock for submission, which came in handy when having a ding dong with the trouble and strife (Mobster will translate) I also went to Jimmy "Judo" Noices clubs, he was a miserable sod, so that did,nt last long.I am sure i told you the story of how wrestlers always look after each other, i.e. b and b if in the district etc. Noice had The French Angel staying with him, he also had an annoying neighbour always scrounging milk or tea off him. so door gets knocked by neighbour on the bum again, Jim says to the Angel (Tibbet) who had a head about 2ft long, to answer her. Angel opens door, neighbour feints at sight of the monster, and Noice is never bothered again for milk, sugar or indeed anything. try it , it works. David Gentle
HA! Great stuff David, I always enjoy these stories of yours. Thanks. :)

Was Joe Robinson a regular attendee at the British Wrestlers Reunion?

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:32 am

Hi Danny, no joe only came about twice,, but he still looked fabulous and of course we had a chat about "The good old days" when wrestling at least looked genuine, none of those baby face slaps and at times even "blows" that actually miss. they need to rehearse more..back to Joe, He was in Kid for Two Farthings, but also for as while did sort of imitation Tarzan set of movies for a French company. I didnt realise he was 90. We get a lot of former movie stars or even current ones as wrestlers often play the "bad guy" in films. The owner of the pub we go to is Wayne Bridges former world champion, who was genuinely asked to do the early Bond movies. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:35 pm

David Gentle wrote:Hi Danny, no joe only came about twice,, but he still looked fabulous and of course we had a chat about "The good old days" when wrestling at least looked genuine, none of those baby face slaps and at times even "blows" that actually miss. they need to rehearse more..back to Joe, He was in Kid for Two Farthings, but also for as while did sort of imitation Tarzan set of movies for a French company. I didnt realise he was 90. We get a lot of former movie stars or even current ones as wrestlers often play the "bad guy" in films. The owner of the pub we go to is Wayne Bridges former world champion, who was genuinely asked to do the early Bond movies. David Gentle
Oh yes, I'm familiar with Wayne Bridges. He held the World Heavyweight Championship multiple times during the 80s, trading it back & forth with John Quinn and Kendo Nagasaki. I've heard of his pub, The Bridges, but obviously I've never been there. He married a bodybuilder, correct?