Important Website Announcement

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, DannyBoy, drob357

Important Website Announcement

Postby drob357 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Dear Members,

The HOPC website is currently undergoing renovations while changes are made to its Library and navigation system. You may encounter webpages that are temporarily unavailable or have been permanently moved to a new location. The Forum will not be affected by these changes although you may experience temporary problems uploading images during the transition period.

It was recently brought to my attention by members that they are receiving an error message stating the HOPC website is not secure. I've asked the hosting company to ensure that the SSL certificate we purchased last year has been installed properly. This situation should be resolved shortly.

I will post an announcement when the work on the website has been completed. Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
Diane Robert
Site Administrator
http://www.davidgentle.com
drob357
Site Admin

Re: Important Website Announcement

Postby peter yates » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi Diane,
thank you for letting us know about the changes,Explains why i could not view something earlier. Patience is a virtue and i am sure the site will be even more amazing once the changes occur. Gratitude for the wonderful work that you do.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Tue May 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Monumental task . The volume coupled with the quality is astonishing . Anyone with an
e-book possibility should quote on Diane's services under the e-book publishing flag in
the store section .
sticksb

Postby drob357 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:25 pm

I am pleased to report that the work involving the HOPC Library has finally been completed. After much deliberation a decision was reached to establish an annual Library membership fee of $14.95 to help fund our operating costs. For more information and/or to join the Library, please visit our homepage https://www.davidgentle.com and click on the link under "Special Announcements".

Thank you.
Diane Robert
Site Administrator
drob357
Site Admin

Postby Harry Hayfield » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Could I ask if the $14.95 is in American currency (£1 = $1.28) or Canadian currency (£1 = C$1.74), is in addition to or separate from the existing annual membership and, just in case I cannot afford it immediately, could I pay for it via the sales of my retelling of "Around the World in Eighty Days" ably illustrated by Chris and the Victorian themed exercise book that he is also very kindly illustrating?
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby peter yates » Wed May 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi Harry, the fee is in Canadian Dollars, this now replaces the old membership.Please PM Diane directly with your other questions.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby peter yates » Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi Diane,
Thank you for the update, and so glad you were able to come to a solution to deal with the needed site upgrade. In any field most people only see the end result, yet often fail to realize the enormous amount of work and sacrifice needed to attain said result.There are some of us who do know the time,work,energy and personal finance that you have contributed to make this site into the amazing contribution to the history of Physical Culture that it is. I for one am only glad to pay the price of a coffee and sandwich to have access to such a rich depository of information, much of which is not available elsewhere.So glad the site now has a means to continue,and so grateful for all the work you have done.I hope others feel the same.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby drob357 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Thank you Peter for your kind and thoughtful comments. I hope members will enjoy using the library on a regular basis.

Kind regards,
Diane Robert
Site Administrator
drob357
Site Admin

Postby DannyBoy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Diane, congratulations on completing the work on the HOPC library and thank you for all the time & effort you put in, I think $14.95 is a very good & fair price for an annual membership to all the HOPC library has to offer. As soon as my next credit card cycle begins (June 14th) I'll join, I hope that's alright. :)
DannyBoy

Postby drob357 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Thank you Danny!

Kind regards,
Diane Robert
Site Administrator
drob357
Site Admin

Return to Announcements