PAUL WYNTER PASSING.

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

peter yates

PAUL WYNTER PASSING.

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks to Ray Noble i just received this sad news.It is always hard to report the passing of one of the iron game greats but having to report on someone who had such an impact on my early training makes it even more difficult. Paul Wynter,born October 28, 1935 and died January 14, 2019, was one of the top bodybuilders of his generation. Although only 5' 8" tall and a top weight of 185lb, he looked much bigger and was famed for his symmetrical and balanced physique. He was contest regular and i think the first time i ever saw him was on the weekly TV show Holiday Town Parade in the Mr. Adonis competition which i think he won.Often placing high in the NABBA Mr. Universe, it was not until 1960 when he won the Professional title overall with Henry Downs taking the amateur title. He once again took first place in 1966 with Chet Yorton winning the amateur title.Following his bodybuilding career he starred in some Sword and Sandle movies with the likes of Gordon Mitchell and Mark Forest. Although from Antigua in the Caribbean he made his home in Manchester with wife Mary, a local girl. In the early 2000's they were attacked in their home by a knife wielding assailant who Paul managed to subdue but received a punctured lung in the process. However he survived that attack.I believe he was living in Scotland when he died.Does anyone else have any other information or memories of this great bodybuilder?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Re: PAUL WYNTER PASSING.

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 pm

I believe that he lived in Manchester at one point in his life within the last 20 years or so as Greater Manchester Police wanted to give him a community service award following a robbery at his house but he refused when the defendant was found not guilty.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi Harry, correct, he lived in Moston which is near to where our friend Kev Fitzgerald lives.Kev has a story of when Paul came in to a local pub where Kev and some of his roofing mates were having drink. Paul placed a 56lb block weight on the bar and said he would give 10 pounds to anyone who could press it 20 times with one hand. Of course Kev's mates anticipating a free drink egged him on and also of course he made short work of it winning the money.Paul took it in good humor and had a drink with the lads.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Chuck Pendleton (Gordon Mitchell) and Wynter appeared in Mitchell's
first peplum film "Atlas and the Cyclops" and remained close friends
for the rest of Chuck's life .This first wave of peplum stars shared
success and constantly looked out for each other opportunity wise.
Paul has one of the greatest physiques in bodybuilding history .Lat
spread shot from his Mr. Universe win iconic ...

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:14 am

Real sad about Paul, he was one of the famous trio, i.e. Louis Martin, Earle Maynard and himself. Last time i saw and spoke to him was way back at one of the later OHF AWARDS. A quiet and humble man possessed of one of the world greatest bodies and with the power to go with his muscles.He really looks amazingly fit and with a million dollar suit on, great man , sorely missed. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Oh bummer! The "greats" are passing everyday! We're losing all the notable bodybuilders from the Golden Era and before. Truly sad!

I remember the first time I saw a photo of Paul was in some workout manuals my buddy had when we were in high school in the mid 1970's! There was a course he purchased, mail order, which was a serious "push up" course with various pushups and bodyweight exercises contained in it. There were ten booklets in all and I do believe this was a UK publication. In one of the booklets was a photo of Paul posed in a "lat spread". I recall noting how thick his lats were. They were wide as well, but the thickness of his lats was incredible! I've always been curious about how he trained. Anyone have any information on how Paul trained that they'd care to share??

RIP to one of the greats!

Cheers folks!

John

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 pm

[attachment=0]IMG. Based on what I've read
Heavy high rep leg pressing
BB hack + front squats on a board
Toe press on Leg Press machine
High rep heavy flat benching
many sets of chins + very heavy single DB pullovers
DB press (heavy)primary delt
Alternate DB curls
high rep sit-ups on an incline
When in the movies Paul was a push-up/pull-up/free squats
and heavy dumbbell curl/press trainer on the patio gym he
Pendleton and Degni put together on the Via Venuto ...
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (82.07 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:43 am

We featured a fine sketch of Paul on the cover of issue 1/2003.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:17 am

Re Pauls, training, that was one good thing i liked about the old Health and Strength mag, whoever won the current Mr Universe would in the next few issues, have detailed articles on the how and why they trained to win. The York mag Strength and Health did the same, thats why for e xample Bob Hoffman sponsored his guys to come over to the uk and enter theUniverse show,(back in the early days, the yanks came over on the QueenMary and other liners over the pond,meaning a week of nice mal de mare and as Grimek once told me, just inky dinky little dumbells to train with, hence some U.S champs lost a lot of bulk((Clancy Ross)) just when they wanted it most.) and of course he did the same back home in the usa with The Mr America. Ole Joe, had nowhere to go, so he invented his own organisation and eventually came out with the Olympia. all part of the muscle wars interesting years. I Must be honest and admit i dont have a clue most of the time who has won what, with so many associations, almost like boxing and wrestling, all trying to be the top dogs, trouble is,there are too many chiefs and not enough braves now, nor is there anymore a genuine international standard sought from the various countries judges.So competing bodybuilders must be confused as to what it is exactly the judges want for the winners to demonstrate.? David Gentle, p.s. I like the old saying."If You can't please everybody, then you may as well please yourself"
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 am

Hi David

Sixty Years on there are Inky Dinky BIG Dumbells and an array of Technogym gear in the gym on the QM2.

I liked the leg press as squats (60 years on) creak too much now.

The downside is whilst you may gain some muscle mass you can lose an arm and leg from the cost!

And as you imply, 7 continuous days on a ship is too much, however luxurious.

Glad I flew out.

Regards
Handson
Attachments
Queens Grill QM2.jpg
Queens Grill QM2.jpg (756.32 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Technogym Gear QM2.jpg
Technogym Gear QM2.jpg (652 KiB) Viewed 3711 times