Another one gone

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

peter yates

Another one gone

Post by peter yates » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Just heard the very sad news that my friend and former training buddy,Louis Staffa, passed away on the weekend.He was in rehab following surgery and passed peacefully in his sleep, He was 78.Now pretty much all of the early members of Darwen Weightlifting club are gone and it is leaving me feeling quite sad.Louis was brought up in a village in Italy during WW2 and suffered deprivation as a result.At the age of 10 he was sent to the local blacksmith to become his apprentice and this soon involved doing the work of a grown man.When he was 14 his family moved to England to start a new life and Louis went to work in the local brick factory,another physically demanding occupation. At the age of 19 he was taken along to the Weightlifting club by one of the original members,Brian Bond and immediately felt right at home.Louis was then taught roofing by the founder of the club,Maurice Ainsworth, so starting yet another back breaking profession. Louis loved to press and his two favorite exercises were repetition BB clean and press and the see-saw press with 56lb block weights.In the latter he built up to a total of 112 reps,56 each hand and always demonstrated this at the charity events we put on. As previously mentioned we trained together and also worked the roofs together. Besides lifting he also trained in Karate under Maurice and wrestling in another club. While lacking formal education he was nevertheless an intelligent man. Many a night after training i would go out of my way to walk home with him so we could converse on many issues, i learnt much of value from him.Unfortunately he had a few accidents while roofing but as he was self employed and had a family to support he never got the full healing he needed, this coming back to plague him in his 70's leading to several operations. I surely will miss our frequent conversations. He and his wife Norma moved to Canada in 2000 to be near their youngest daughter. Louis leaves behind his wife, daughters Debra and Sonia and their families. RIP my dear friend.
Regards,Peter.
Last edited by peter yates on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Re: Another one gone

Post by raynobile » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 am

hi peter, sorry for your loss, im sure you have many fond memories of your friend.i too have a few friends pass who i first met when i joined a gym at the age of 13. they were expeirienced weight trainers and they took me under their wing and taught me a lot. even at my young age i appreciated their advice, i remember after my first workout, rushing home to tell my father about the old guys ,{they were only 30 yrs old but at 13 to me that was old :D ] .may louis sleep well.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:49 am

Thanks Ray, yes those guys taught me a lot more than how to train. Much of what i learned has stood me in good stead as i navigated my life. Not sure if that old style gym community exists anymore but i am so glad to have been part of it. So glad i kept in touch with them over the years i was away.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

28kgKB

Post by 28kgKB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:29 pm

So sorry to hear this! RIP