David's Muscleanous Issue 4

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

drob357
Site Admin

David's Muscleanous Issue 4

Post by drob357 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:55 pm

HISTORY OF PHYSICAL CULTURE LIBRARY
SUBSCRIBE www.davidgentle.com

Enjoy another amazing issue of David Gentle's Muscleanous column along with rare photos from his collection.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Re: David's Muscleanous Issue 4

Post by David Gentle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Just a note guys, the rare and original photos, taken by Arax at the universe showing when Bob Kennedy brought over Paul Getty a strong supporter(he used strands) were kindly given to me by our dear friend Malcolm Whyatt ex Health and Strength owner.(The only hard chore bodybuilding mag left in UK is the BEEF)) The contest at the time was won by Bill Pearl and with him is the great Joe Abbenda a former Mr America and one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Oh out of this columns subject, but sadly the OABS ran by Artie Dreschler has now gone kaput although a hard chore of the guys including Ricky Perkins are setting up their own branch mainly for collectors.David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks Diane,another fun filled column from David with some great photos.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:10 pm

David Gentle wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm
Just a note guys, the rare and original photos, taken by Arax at the universe showing when Bob Kennedy brought over Paul Getty a strong supporter(he used strands) were kindly given to me by our dear friend Malcolm Whyatt ex Health and Strength owner.(The only hard chore bodybuilding mag left in UK is the BEEF)) The contest at the time was won by Bill Pearl and with him is the great Joe Abbenda a former Mr America and one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Oh out of this columns subject, but sadly the OABS ran by Artie Dreschler has now gone kaput although a hard chore of the guys including Ricky Perkins are setting up their own branch mainly for collectors.David Gentle
Great photos David. I met Joe Abbenda at the AOBS event and in his 70s he still looks a powerful and vital man.He moved some pretty heavy weights in his training routines and as you say a very nice man. Sad to see the event go,though i do not know why they could not have had just one more as a farewell event,i am sure it would have been well attended if folks knew it was the last.It seems just like the end of Health and Strength mag sudden and abrupt,but at least Artie informed everyone via the newsletter.By the way reading your column i now know why i appear 7 years younger than my age. ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates