norman rough passes

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

raynobile

norman rough passes

Post by raynobile » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:43 pm

norman rough passed 2 days ago. he won the mr scotland a record 6 times in a row and competed against arnold in the 1969 mr universe.
norman.jpg
norman.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

raynobile

Re: norman rough passes

Post by raynobile » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:16 am

i will post details of cause of death and funeral arrangments when i recive more info.

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:44 am

norman died in a hospice after a battle with lung cancer, funeral later this week. adam glass will be atending. here is a short bio courtesy of adam
Norrie 1.jpg
Norrie 1.jpg (486.42 KiB) Viewed 5078 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:19 am

Thanks Ray, sorry to hear this.Norman had a terrific, rugged physique and it shows the quality of competition at the time that he was not placed higher in some contests.Do you know if he practiced Maxalding or was just awarded the trophy irrespective.Condolences to family and friends.RIP Norman.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:43 am

hi peter, yes norman practised maxalding at that time.i was a maxalding pupil too, on the advice of my trainer don dorans, don told me it would help in my posing routines which it did. anyway maxalding produced a pamphlet , may have been monthly or bi monthly.in it there were write ups on the succesful pupils. norman was in them as was i when i won the junior scotland. regards. ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 am

Thanks Ray, i have several pamphlets and there are quite a few in the Maxalding section in the library so i will check them out.I do seem to remember seeing his name though.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pm

raynobile wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:43 pm
norman rough passed 2 days ago. he won the mr scotland a record 6 times in a row and competed against arnold in the 1969 mr universe.norman.jpg
This has now been reported in the Scotsman newspaper online (and in tomorrow's print edition) https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/tr ... -1-4990361 and it is for this reason that a formal posting has been made in the Facebook page. The reason for the delay is the journalist in me who never reports on things until it has been confirmed on at least two news channels or appeared in print media.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:12 am

thanks harry, adam glass sent me the article yesterday, unfortunatly the article was full of inacuries, norman did not compete in the 1969 mr universe in new york. he competed in the nabba 69 universe held in london. he did not win the mr britain.i wish journilsts would do there research before submiting their articles.his funeral is on the 30th august at 12 noon in edinburgh. if i still lived in scotland i would attend. there is bound to be a few well kent faces from the bodybuilding fraternity there. regards, ray.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 am

Hi Ray, it just goes to show that journalists rarely care what they write and fact checking has become obsolete. Thank goodness we have sites like HOPC and IH who attempt to get the information as accurate as possible.I am sure Norman will have a good send off from the strength community.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates