Just heard Franco has died...

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, drob357

dhartnet

Just heard Franco has died...

Post by dhartnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:37 pm

SAN TEODORO. Franco Columbu (78 years), the bodybuilder-actor, a native of Ollolai, but for years resident in the United States, a great friend of the actor Arnold Schwarzenegger, died this afternoon August 30 after having suffered an illness while he was bathing on the beach at San Teodoro.

http://www.lanuovasardegna.it/olbia/cro ... 1.17873884
---------
~Dave

peter yates

Re: Just heard Franco has died...

Post by peter yates » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks Dave, so sorry to hear this. What a shock. Do you know what the "illness" was? He did not have the best physique but he was thick and rugged and all round strong. Boxing and Olympic lifting were in his history so a physical culturist in my book. Condolences to family and friends. May he rest in peace.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:35 am

Pose in peace Franco.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:10 pm

According to Ric Drasin, Franco drowned.

Whatever the case, Franco Columbu's passing is such sad & tragic news. He was truly one of the greats of bodybuilding's golden era, not-to-mention a tremendously strong man for his or any era. I've always heard/read he was someone who everyone says how nice he was & how good of a person he was. I've never seen/heard a bad word said about Franco, nor seen/heard him have a bad word for anyone. A great bodybuilder, but more importantly, by all accounts a great person & man. Rest in peace Mr. Columbu and Godspeed to you good sir. May God bless & comfort his family in their time of sadness, sorrow & grief.

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes, heard it may have been an illness (like heart attack) while he was in the water, and drowned.
Very sad, got his book as a skinny lad in 7th grade (1978), and have loved the iron ever since.

Was always one of my favorites (though IMO didn't deserve that Mr. o against Platz/Padilla) but always loved him for his rugged power.
(Being a short guy myself, of course I always rooted for the midgets) :) Franco, Padilla, etc.

RIP legend...
---------
~Dave

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi Dave, at his best he was really good,but as you say and i agree the the Mr.O should have gone to Padilla that year. Still loved Franco's all round ability,glad he had a good life on his own terms.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates