MUSCLEANOUS ISSUE 9

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

raynobile

Re: MUSCLEANOUS ISSUE 9

Post by raynobile » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:14 am

thanks diane, as you probaly know i managed to get in.sending photos as per your request via email. kind regards, ray.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:44 am

Ray, just reread the Mc Mc Manus bit i wrote, no wonder Mick always looked young. You have given me an idea, i think i will start putting in a deliberate mistake each issue, and then the guy who finds it and gets picked out of a hat, wins a major prize, maybe a sub to some girlie magazine or similar top class bounty, then i may change my mind and just re read what i have written and stop the gremlins getting through, be cheaper that way. Heres a classic gremlin that the famous historian , known for his love of facts, once did. Dave Willoughby, once drew six fingers on one of his illustrations for a book and wasnt too happy when i pointed it out to him.To err is human, to forgive divine. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:38 am

yes david you have erred but are forgiven :lol: :lol: its called having a senior moment :D of which i have had many :ugeek: before i read your titbit on mcmanus i didnt know he lived to such a ripe old age. did he train or watch what he ate? or was it just good genetics. don dorans once told me that 80 percent of illnesses can be avoided through good nutrition. he may be right, on the other hand we have all heard about the centenarians who smoked and drank all their days.food for thought methinks. regards, ray.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:52 am

HI Ray, re old Mick, yes he lived a long life, they say only the good die young. He was chauffeured by my close mate, wrestler Bob Kirkwood and as Bob said, could be a nasty little sod, I say little as in life he was not a big guy. He ran most of the Joint Promotions wrestling mob, also had some protection rackets going. He trained in the early days, by an old timer Fred Edwin. Mick would give the results out for the matches, but he usually had to win his own to keep his reputation. Later in life he did a lot of media stuff, not the most skilled of wrestlers,but he could act well, always the villein.Wrestlers live under a code of "camefabe" ie. talk and act different when the punters are around called "queens! rhyming slang for Queens park rangers, ie. strangers, otherwise they were very friendly and tactile and would look after each other in the ring, all the pain was acting or the blood provided by the referee on the call for "juice", the wrestlers always cut themselves, with a small stanley knife or razor in a plaster, just a slice above the eyes where it bled well and ran down, from where the wrestler would spread it all over his face,not done so much now due to so many kids watching. The only real feud i know of was between Mick and Jackie Pallo one of big daddies family along with several refs etc, all mostly into boxing, On their last fight, Mick just beat the shit out of Pallo, no messing around. They never ever spoke at the reunion, whereas all the other guys were great pals, The other prick was the guy with the mask who pretended to be a Japanese warrior Kendo, when he came on, all the real wrestlers used to fuck off to the bar. yet Kendo kept up the charade despite being an englishman whos name escapes me, and give him his due, made a fortune out of wearing that mask. its a funny old game, i am looking forward to the fight with Fury , lots of money going on it,but its in the USA, so it all depends what the mob says. Assirati found that out. David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm

raynobile wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:38 am
yes david you have erred but are forgiven :lol: :lol: its called having a senior moment :D of which i have had many :ugeek: before i read your titbit on mcmanus i didnt know he lived to such a ripe old age. did he train or watch what he ate? or was it just good genetics. don dorans once told me that 80 percent of illnesses can be avoided through good nutrition. he may be right, on the other hand we have all heard about the centenarians who smoked and drank all their days.food for thought methinks. regards, ray.
Hi Ray, just my opinion but i have always thought that our time on this mud ball is determined the day we are born and that nothing we do will change that.As you mentioned some folks do everything wrong and live a very long time,others take the best care of themselves and still die young.However one thing we do have a say in is how we live. Training bring so many benefits to our lives and muscle is just one of those. We are about the same age and like me you must notice those of a similar age and even younger who are just dragging through life. I know you are the same but i could not imagine ever giving up training as it is an intrinsic part of my life,has given me so much, keeps on giving and most of all is fun.
Peter.
Peter Yates