Ron Tyrell passes away.

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

David Gentle

Ron Tyrell passes away.

Post by David Gentle » Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am

Gil and Paul Shaw have just told me the tragic news that we have lost our dearest contributor Ron Tyrell, one of p. c greatest writers and authorities,but more than that, a dear friend whos generosity and knowledge helped me more years than i can remember. Like our dear Stick, Ron was the best at what he did, and his shoes cannot be filled . i am so lucky in this life to have known so many wonderful people. God Bless Ron, David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Re: Ron Tyrell passes away.

Post by peter yates » Fri May 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Sad news indeed David.What a generous and knowledgeable soul he was,a fountain of information regarding Physical Culture history and a stickler for detail.More than once has he helped me with some piece or other i was preparing to write. How many have trained with likes of Bill Pullum, Thomas Inch and Court Saldo? Well Ron was one and i dare say there are no others left. Last November while i was visiting Gil i got the opportunity to speak with Ron by phone,his hearing was not good and his voice was weak but his enthusiasm for PC was still as strong and glowing. The last few years have been difficult for Ron but now he is at rest.Sincere condolences to his wife Cynthia.Rest in Peace dear Ron.
Sincerely,Peter.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sat May 30, 2020 8:13 am

The passing of Ron Tyrell is another sad loss, to Physical Culture. He was a chronicler and promoter of Physical Culture, in various media, for a very long time. He shall be missed.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 am

Diane has asked me to inform anyone who would like to leave a comment or tribute to Ron that they can do so on the webpage she opened for him yesterday.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat May 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat May 30, 2020 4:01 pm

I just spoke with Laurie Smith in Australia. He was very sad to hear the news that his long time overseas, friend had passed away. He described Ron as an "old school gentleman," a kind and generous man.Ron sent Laurie many rare items over the years and even paid for his Health and Strength subscription until the mag folded.He sends his sincere condolences to Cynthia and all of his friends.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Due to a technical malfunction, I was unable to login to the Forum earlier. Thank you Peter for passing on the web page link for Ron's Tribute so members can leave comments.
We are deeply saddened by Ron's passing. He was an extraordinary historian and human being and he will be sadly missed by all. Our love and prayers to his wife, Cynthia and close friends.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Jarett Hulse

Post by Jarett Hulse » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:22 am

I didn't know Ron personally. But I've seen his work over the years and I always respect a life long physical culturist and a iron game historian.