I have some important news to relay

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

Harry Hayfield

I have some important news to relay

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:11 am

In May of next year, the Senedd of Wales will be elected for its sixth term of office (2021 - 2026) and as such the political parties of Wales are starting on the procedure for selecting candidates for that election. The election has two elements. The first is the constituency element where forty members are elected in single constituencies (just like for Westminster, the Canadian House and the US House). The second element is the regional list where, dependent on the number of votes a party polls and the number of constituencies that party wins in a region, additional members are added to ensure that the votes tallied reflect the number of members elected. Each region (of which there are five) has four seats and so each party can nominate four candidates.

Yesterday, I attended a hustings meeting in my aim to become one of the candidates for the Welsh Green Party in Mid and West Wales, however as five candidates had submitted nomination forms and there were only four positions available, whoever came fifth would not be able to put their name forward for the main election, however at the start of the meeting it was announced that one of the candidates had withdrawn due to a change in circumstances, this means the following:

When nominations close on the 6th April 2021, for the regional list in Mid and West Wales for the Welsh Senedd elections, my name will be on the formal ballot paper for the Welsh Green Party
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Re: I have some important news to relay

Post by peter yates » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Harry, glad to hear you got in there mate.Good luck with your political endeavor.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Would be interesting to hear what some of your policies would be Harry. Will health and fitness feature in them?

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:21 am

Kazza61 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:59 pm
Would be interesting to hear what some of your policies would be Harry. Will health and fitness feature in them?
The main campaign plank will be, as you might expect, environmental policies, but as an official party candidate I will have the chance to have an input into the main party platform. Therefore I will ask if the following could be included:

* All carers in Wales to continue to receive Carer's Allowance on top of any Universal Basic Income
* Schools to hold no less than 5 hours of PE (Physical Education a week) with sports and activities aimed at suitable age groups (so for instance running and jumping for primary school children, physical culture exercises for teenagers, gyms for 16+ and, if the rules permit, learning about sports and sports personalities from across the sporting spectrum for instance Eugene Sandow et al)
* A formal bid for the Commonwealth Games in 2036 (each event to be held in each Welsh county, instead of a central location) with Cardiff getting the opening and closing ceremony
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"

Kazza61

Post by Kazza61 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Some great policies there Harry!
The very best of luck with your campaign.
Will follow with interest.
Best wishes.

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Great news Harry! Thank you for letting us know.

All the best,
Diane
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:46 am

Since I posted that another one of the candidates has withdrawn as their nomination papers were incorrectly filled in, this means that I will not be any lower than third on the regional list and would be elected to the Senedd if the Greens were able to poll something like 40,000 votes across the whole region (last time they polled 7,000 votes)