Stark Center Physical Culture Conference January 15th

Latest announcements and news from the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: drob357

ConorHeffernan

Stark Center Physical Culture Conference January 15th

Post by ConorHeffernan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:04 am

Hi Everyone,

I hope people celebrated the New Year appropriately and in style.

Very happy to announce that the Stark Center will be hosting an online, all-day, conference through Zoom on January 15. I know it is a strange time at the minute (and we would all love to meet in person!) but we hope people will attend.

I've attached a tentative timetable here. All times are Texas Time (Central) and the conference runs from 8am to 6pm. People are encouraged to drop in and out of the conference as they please. If anyone would like help setting up or working Zoom just let me know as I've struggled my way through three semesters of it!

You'll need to down Zoom before clicking on the registration link below

bit.ly/38SYoB

Also I'm aware that not all the panels will be relevant to people but I would like to highlight some talks which I think will pique members' interests

9am - Physical Culture Writers

Anastasija Ropa, Physical Culture in Renaissance Europe: Some Evidence from Pietro Monte’s Collectanea

Alec S. Hurley, Champion, Columnist, and (Physical) Culturist: Arthur F. Gay’s Influence on the American Strength Community in the Interwar Era

10am - Olympic Athletes & Identity

Jannick Schlewing & Francois J. Cleophas, A South African Weightlifter Who Competed Against South Africa

Broderick D.V. Chow, 出る釘は打たれる: Tommy Kono’s Performances of Strength and the Formation of Asian American Subjectivity

5pm - Strongest Man & Strongest Woman Reconsidering Sandow & Minerva

Conor Heffernan, Developing the Perfect Man: Eugen Sandow, the Great Competition and Eugenics in Edwardian Britain

Jan Todd, Minerva

We also have talks related to Lisa Lyon, female bodybuilding, sport injuries and numerous other topics.

If anyone has any questions or comments do let me know!

Here's to a better 2021,

Conor
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 11.40.08.png
Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 11.40.08.png (132.2 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Harry Hayfield

Re: Stark Center Physical Culture Conference January 15th

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:11 pm

That looks very interesting indeed, however you will have to re-post the link.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

ConorHeffernan

Re: Stark Center Physical Culture Conference January 15th

Post by ConorHeffernan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:39 pm

Oops, hi Harry - good spot!

The registration link is

https://utexas.zoom.us/meeting/registe ... 4roE7luoc