Eugen Sandow Collection

We invite you to post books, magazines, posters or other PC memorabilia you wish to buy, sell or trade.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

David Gentle

Re: Eugen Sandow Collection

Post by David Gentle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Dear Rachel, my imagination is running riot thinking "wonder what else was there?" books, mags, letters or as Peter says the most collectable the grippers. By co incidence, my local pal, also in the house clearance business came across a load of MARCY plates, not ancient stuff, but i believe they are American? anyway i had to have them. just a hoarder at heartDave Webster had some interesting old weights in his back garden in Scotland, one being a special fake bar that once belonged to Sampson the well known fraud (He once supposedly lifted an elephant, to walk away and find the elephant still swinging on the cables used to give it the real lift.) Back to the fake barbell, it had two end globes of the sort loaded with sand or lead shot. our hero used to leave the bar out for all to try and lift, loaded with sand, but due to the bells having small holes in, gradually the sand leaked out into hidden containers, and so eventually it was far lighter to lift for Mr Strongman. Finally the saddest thing i saw was a video showing the last days of Maxalding, on an old farm with all the books, leaflets, letters just going rotten left out in old out houses or sheds. really sad. So Rachel, thats the reason us collecting nut cases keep on searching old treasures to preserve and one day maybe to even have our own physical culture museum. David Gentle p.s. welcome to the gang.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks,Rachel.
Peter Yates

dhartnet

Post by dhartnet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 pm

saw it on the auction site, looks like a great old bell!
---------
~Dave

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Glad to report that my old mate Tom will now be giving the Sandow bell a good home. Congratulations Tom.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates