What do you have?

We invite you to post books, magazines, posters or other PC memorabilia you wish to buy, sell or trade.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Mobster

What do you have?

Post by Mobster » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:16 am

In a burst of helpfulness (it might not last ha ha) I thought it might be a nice idea to suggest what we have. Sometimes in doing so an offer might be made which is too good to resist even when you hadn't intended selling or trading.

Back when I left Gloucester my PC collection had built up to quite a level. For reasons best left for another day some parts ended up being left behind. Not too much but like any collector I wished I'd managed to keep all of it. Anyway... I'm lucky that my current home includes the old club secretary's office - 16 x 12 and a bunch of pre-fitted into nooks shelves. While I am sure my collection wont trouble either of the David's (Gentle or Webster) anytime soon it's still decent enough at 4000+ items.

Included are a few magazines from 1950 (ex: H&S Nov 1950 with Grimek on the cover) and several old books. The most recent purchase of which was 'Vitality Supreme by Benarr McFadden'. More as and when

David Gentle

Re: What do you have?Never enough DG

Post by David Gentle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi Mobster mate, remember i had a magazine out for a couple of years called MUSCLE MOB mainly to keep the old gang together. anyway, one day my missues said, why dont you sell all that "rubbish", so it took me literally months to make out a 30 page catalogue. i advertised and sold it and with it sold a lot of rare books. guess what, since that fateful day, i must have spent three times the ammount of money buying it all back again which proves i am definately nuts.When i kick the bucket someone is going to have a great bombfire. meanwhile it keeps my mind active and gives me something to look for when i go out around charity and book shops, so its not all bad, finally through p.c. i have met the best people in the world,film stars, champion wrestlers, boxers, just about every muscle champ since Grimek and most old timers before him, it beats cutting the grass and i have met some amazing people, so if you ever think of selling up, one answer.DONT. David Gentle. finally i love Dianes new idea of encouraging new writers, where she gets her energy i will never know, i am ready for bed personally after writing 20 plus letters plus emails and a bit more towards two books i am working on ClancyRoss and Chest Expanders.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Mobster

Re: What do you have?

Post by Mobster » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:37 am

As the editor of Muscle Mob after you one thing I regret is not having every issue of Muscle Mob myself. I lost a fair few in the moving around previously mentioned.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:10 pm

HELLO MOBSTER AND WELCOME TO THE SITE. HELLO DAVID. LIKE BOTH OF YOU I HAVE LOST OR SOLD MANY TREASURES OVER THE YEARS ONLY TO TRY AND REBUILD A COLLECTION LATER. TO THINK OF WHAT I ONCE HAD THAT IS NOW EITHER IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OR SO BLOODY EXPENSIVE. I HAVE BEEN LUCKY OVER HERE IN THE STATES PICKING UP COLLECTIONS OF MAGAZINES FOR VERY REASONABLE PRICES. I JUST PURCHASED A BUNDLE 1950s & 1960s HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINES FOR A FEW DOLLARS. NOT SURE IF THE ORIGINAL OWNER WAS A TRANSPLANTED BRIT LIKE ME OR AN AMERICAN SUBSCRIBER BUT I AM PLEASED TO GIVE THEM A GOOD HOME. DAVID I NOTICE IN THE LATEST HEALTH AND STRENGTH MAGAZINE THAT SOME ONE IS SEEKING TO BUY BOUND VOLUMES OF PRE 1930s H&S. WELL I HAVE THE WHOLE OF 1925 IN TWO VOLUMES BUT THEY WERE LEFT TO ME BY ONE OF MY TRAINERS AND I WOULD NEVER PART WITH THEM. SOME GREAT READING IN THEM BY THE WAY.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:44 am

Back in the days of the OHF and Muscle Mob I was invited to Nobby Norris's birthday and Colin Norris showed me two bound volumes of very early H&S which were kept in a wardrobe. Cooommmeee to papa (if only)!
Last edited by Mobster on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Gentle

Muscle Mob Mag/Mobster(Steve G.)

Post by David Gentle » Tue May 05, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Mobster alias Steve, thanks for helping us out.You were a great buddy to me and my number one choice to take over the mag.its crazy we are both still in the business. All my issues of M uscle Mob, from number one throught all the ones you took over, i had ring bound and they look great, we had a good idea and it looks as tho this site is taking the same stance of keeping a load of enthusiasts together, so lets keep it up.Best wishes Steve, David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Wed May 06, 2015 7:36 am

Hi Dave, it was always a pleasure. My time with the weights will be 36 years come this August and I've no plans just yet to see it end. If I can help you keep that feeling going I will. Steve

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:15 pm

It's worth mentioning (cos I just had a message about it) that even though I'm missing a few myself I actually have some doubles (and more) of a few issues of Muscle Mob. PM if interested. I've just this minute typed a list of what's what. Steve

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:47 pm

I have about 30 reg park journals, various health and strengths from the 1950s and earlier. I only an really interested in the pre steroid era of collectables as I enjoy to see and read about lifetime naturals without having to worry about if they're telling the truth or not about drug use.

I picked up today a bound volume of Bernarr Macfadden's UK edition of his magazine from 1908 which is quite interesting. I'm not sure if I'll keep it, I'll probably scan in a few articles I like and sell it on. If anyone wants it here just ask. I'll advertise it once I've had a good look through it, but it's in fantastic condition, got it from a second hand book store

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:05 am

That sounds cool.