Alexander Zass

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: Harry Hayfield, DannyBoy, David Gentle

peter yates

Re: Alexander Zass

Post by peter yates » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi Heroolympus, looking forward to any added information you may have. This is how we all learn from each other and fill in missing details.
Regards.Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 am

David Gentle wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:39 pm
Wow, just been catching up on the Zass topic and was delighted to see The Shaw detective company and the other information supplyers have done some great work and so interesting This is why this site beats all others, its the best place for information on the net bar none. Also interested because as well as seeing Zass when a nipper when he must have escaped from Bristol zoo and was doing a strength act in a place called "The ditches" in Southampton, i also have seen the " wrestler " named as Jack Dale" whom i think was actually the Irish boxer (and singer) Jack Doyle. If it was Doyle, i am supprised he "won" as he may have been a boxer, but couldnt fight his way our of a paper bag at wrestling and in any case i suspect the "Card" already had him as winner as was the custom, the results were given first by the promoter and how the wrestlers told the story line was up to them. David Gentle.
This wrestling lark is serious stuff especially if you believe Santa.
Had a quick look at articles about Jack Dale & attach couple which illustrate the goonery & buffoonery involved.
I think the 'in' expression to describe it is 'ROFL'.

Regards Handson
Attachments
Dale Vs Gregory.png
Dale Vs Gregory.png (655.44 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Dale Vs Rolfe.png
Dale Vs Rolfe.png (361.2 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Dale Beats Turk.png
Dale Beats Turk.png (372.98 KiB) Viewed 346 times

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:51 am

Mind you in relatively more recent times Brian Glover learned his subsequent acting skills in the ring.

Try Googling this Youtube title: Brian Glover and Gorgeous Gilbert fight scene.

Handson

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi Mate, loved the cutting of the match you supplied, so there was a Jack Dale, the guy who did the write up on the match had me in stitches, wonder if he believed it himself or was just used to writing fairy stories.What disappointed me was to find out how far back "worked" matches went, yes right back to the days of Hack. mind you if you watched a genuine shoot out, you would die of boredom so they had to introduce showmanship and make sure they belonged to the variety club union.The biggest villians were the promoters, few wrestlers got rich. David Gentle just going in to have three rounds (of toast) with the wife.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com