Sandow Statuette

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Handson

Re: Sandow Statuette

Post by Handson » Wed May 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Handson wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:19 pm
Hi Peter
There was some resentment from one of the competitor cocoa firms & in particular one of them took Sandow to court over his use of the phrase "health & strength" in describing his [Sandow's] cocoa.

It seemed and still seems a somewhat petty case and that was the conclusion of the judiciary.

See the attachments which cover the nub of the allegation and also the conclusion.

If I could work out how to string together text and pictures I could have sent the whole of this particular document and other stuff but HOPC doesn't seem to accept e.g. Word documents which would otherwise do the trick.

As an aside I was reading Dannyboy's article on pugilist Peter Jackson and his submission seems to have found a way of stringing together quite a lengthy article.

In a similar vein I have quite a lot of old stuff on Jem Mace but submitting it piecemeal in lots of disjointed 2 X 0.99 Mb is too daunting.

Regards
Handson
Mind you Sandow seemed to like a tear up in the Courts
Attachments
August 1 1901 Sandow Wins Damages vs Saxon.png
August 1 1901 Sandow Wins Damages vs Saxon.png (824.58 KiB) Viewed 83 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Have also read that quicksilver was used in the handle though sand sounds more realistic.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Thu May 02, 2019 5:51 am

Handson wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:50 pm
This guy was no slouch of course too.
Newspaper quality photos are a bit fuzzy but there's no doubting the powerful arms.
Handson
This comment was meant to be in relation to David’s remarks of 24 April praising the Saxons (quite rightly) but I misplaced it, sorry. ;)
I’ve always considered Gorner to have been one of the most powerful.
Handson
Attachments
1928 Herman Gorner at Old Vic.png
1928 Herman Gorner at Old Vic.png (983.01 KiB) Viewed 77 times
April 1928 Herman Gorner Palace Theatre Aberdeen.png
April 1928 Herman Gorner Palace Theatre Aberdeen.png (775.85 KiB) Viewed 77 times