Peter Seldon

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

JoFeesey

Peter Seldon

Post by JoFeesey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 pm

Does anyone here have any knowledge of Peter Seldon? His daughter has been researching her late fathers' pc history for some years and has now reached out to me as Peter Seldon had links to Health & Strength. Any information that I can share with her would be most appreciated (by us both). If you have any tips on where I can start my search I will happily do the research (I have found a couple of online show reports which mentions him as a judge).

"Hi. Jo-anne. I am the daughter of Peter Seldon, a founder member of NABBA and Mr Universe. I believe he also wrote some lead items for Health & Strength magazine in the 1950' and 60's. Unforunately he left nothing about his "history" within the Health & Strength League etc etc.I have been searching the web for many years and you are the "hottest lead" I have found so far. (pre Mr Universe) I assume you have archives from that time which could be very useful. My father passed way very young (58) leaving only his Mr Universe judging medals as a legacy and I have always wanted to find out so much more about his bodybuilding life etc I hope you can help me in some way. i llook foward to hearing from you."

Many thanks,

Jo

peter yates

Re: Peter Seldon

Post by peter yates » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi Jo,
while i have heard the name i know very little about him so am unable to help.Perhaps David, Ron or Gil will have more information. I would certainly like to know more about him seeing that he was founding member of NABBA. Please keep us posted of any updates.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Peter Seldon was considered one of the best physique judges in the sport. Some
of the most competitive contests in history (the 1956 NABBA Mr. Universe) were
judged by people like Peter and George Kirkley . American competitors like Dellinger
and Pearl knew they would get a fair shake when they competed across the pond .

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:55 am

Re Peter Seldon, i remember him as i used to attend all the Universe shows of that era, also have all the 50s and 60s mags, to save me digging out the lot, any way of cutting it down to a more specific time re his mentions in the mag, if not then i will take a look. Ivan Dunbar sadly now passed on, was in the midst of writing a history of NABBA, his daughter may have his files,(again i need to find his or her address) also Malcolm Whyatt was, or did similar, i do have Malcolms lists and will again try to find them, you have to realise i am in a small den, surrounded by mountains of magazines, books, files and photos and only get fed twice a day through the cat flap by my devoted wife and long time supporter Rosemary. I think after the Universe shows, H&S often wrote small bios on the judges, so may strike lucky there. dont hold your breath, but its now in the pipe line for things i must do. sadly mowing the lawn takes priority, then there is that leaking gutter....oh hell it just goes on and on. have a nice day. David GEntle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Jayne Seldon

Post by Jayne Seldon » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:40 am

Hello. I am Peter Seldon's daughter (as per this post). After my initial enquiry with Health & Strength Magazine, I wasn't aware this conversation was taking place here until today. I am still very keen to find as much I can relating to my dad who sadly passed away in 1982 at the very young age of 58. I am in possession of most of his Mr Universe judging medals and plus a trophy presented to him in 1957 for services to the N.A.B.B.A. As I young child, I remember the overseas competitors billeting at our house while the competition was taking place in London. I would very much like to start up a conversation to know where I go from here and would appreciate if you could let me know if that's okay? I'm more than happy to do the leg work with back issues etc etc. Please could you let me know how to go forward from here. Thank you. Jayne Kersse (nee Seldon) PS. I notice a reply from a Peter Yates. Can you tell me whether he is the ex UK javelin thrower? If so, we knew each other in the 70's and would very much like to here from him.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello Jayne,
nice to hear from you.Well i am not the ex javelin thrower you knew unfortunately. I do hope we can locate some information about your father as he played a major role in getting Bodybuilding organized in Great Britain and that then extended throughout the world as the NABBA Universe was the one with prestige for many years.I trust this will now jog David's memory and he might be able to find more info for you. Also anyone else out there please help Jayne if you have any information about Peter Seldon and his bodybuilding history.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Dear Jayne, if you can send me as many dates or reference points, as to when and where he was envolved, then if i get time, i have all the Healthand Strength mags of that period and can look them up lto see what we can find, should be photos and maybe a bio or at least more info, so send me what dates you know of his envolvement and i will look through the mags. David Gentle you can email me davidfgentle@hotmail.co.uk best wishes.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Jayne Seldon

Post by Jayne Seldon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 am

Hi David/Peter
Thanks for getting back to me. Dad was very active in the Health & Strength League. He joined when he was about 16 (1939).
I have some photos and (some) medals from when he was actually competing (not as much as there should be I'm afraid as his pre-war stuff was destroyed when his gym in Exeter was bombed and his post war stuff was divided between my sister and I when he died. She has now also passed away and Dad's trophies/medals she had are now lost)
I'll get the full details/dates of what I do have over on email.
Date range is early 1941 to 1957 (late 1941 to 1945 he was in India/Burma). He was wounded in action 1945 in Burma and "could curl 80lbs with my right arm but couldn't even lift a tea spoon with my left" after the war. He did belong to the Health & Strength League again after 1945 but, given the severity of his injury, it would have taken a lot to get back to the fitness/physique he had before in able to compete. I do have medals for 1950 (details to come on email) so he clearly did.
Re his judging, I have Mr Universe medals from 1955 to 1963 (any more after that my sister would have had) plus a trophy for services to NABBA.
So far, I've managed to find online Muscle Builder articles about the 1955 and 1956 competitions where he is mentioned plus a Pathe News reel of the 1955 competition showing him at the judges table.
I know he was definately active in also writing for the magazines, he told me. For example, a couple of years ago, on Ebay, there was a 1950's Muscle Builder mag for sale with a "forward by Peter Seldon". Unfortunately, by the time someone alerted me to this, the bidding had closed!
David: I'll piece together what i have and e mail it over to you. Thank you, in advance, for your help.
As I said, I'm happy to do the leg work and look through the Health & Strength mags myself. Let me know.

Also, can anyone suggest an "in" with NABBA UK? Clearly their archives would be useful. I've emailed the Secretary (Val) several times over the last years...no response.

Again, thank you all so much
Jayne (Seldon)

raynobile

nabba

Post by raynobile » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 am

hi jayne, if you have a facebook account then you could try si sweeneys site. its called nabba universe throughout the years.si is a nabba historian and a very nice guy too. not surprised you have had no response from val charles. she is not interested in naba history.i have had dealings with her in the past whilst researching a topic of interest to me. i pointed out a glaring carriage of injustice to her about a contest in 1971 where i found out that the junior mr britain was a year overage. she replied that it was decades ago and that there was no point to rectify the situation and for me to not contact her again. anyway hope you are succesful with si sweeney. regards, ray,

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Jayne, i am sure that enough material will be found about your father to put together a nice piece on him for the site,that is with your permission.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates