William Boone's training

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Milo

William Boone's training

Post by Milo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Hello to all,

I'm looking for information on William Boone's programs and training methods, even in his 40s and 50s, can anyone help me?

Thanks

peter yates

Re: William Boone's training

Post by peter yates » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Hello Milo, and welcome to the forum. I have just noticed this and being a William Boone fan myself have some info on his training if somewhat limited.I will get back to with it later as a bit pushed for time just now. Please tell us something about yourself on the introductions thread.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 am

Hi Milo, Boone's training has been mentioned elsewhere on the site but here is what i have read in the past regarding how he trained. First it bears stating that he worked at a very physically demanding job digging wells in the hot south, and then he would train in the evenings. He did not have a gym but trained outside with a bar, weights and homemade squat racks. Given the fact that he expended a lot of energy at his daily labor he devised workouts using the bare minimum of exercises that would effect the whole body. One such workout that has been noted is just squat, curl and push press from racks.Following the lead of his friend Joseph Curtis Hise he favored 20 rep squats, yet at other times would train on sets of 5 adding weight each set for multiple sets then some back off sets. On the push press he would add weight and lower the reps then do back off sets. Another training method he used was to dig a hole stand in it and do partial deadlifts. Over time he would add dirt to the hole until he was eventually standing on level ground and still moving the same weight. He built up to some huge weights this way. Later Paul Anderson would do a similar type of training.I think the main thing we can take away from Boone is that he did not let anything stand in his way, not even a back breaking job, he used a minimum of exercises that built size and strength throughout the whole body. With exception of the squat he kept his reps low thereby conserving energy. He thought things out before he did them and kept to his plan. He did not need a fancy gym or equipment to build one of the strongest bodies of his time, just a plan and hard work. A lot of take home lessons for anyone.Hope this has been of help and i hope others can offer more insight into his training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi Peter, thank you very much for your valuable information, read this is of extreme motivation for my training that, because of my little energy due to age and work and family commitments, look a lot like what Boone did and I'm getting the best results of my whole life. Thanks again.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi Milo,
you are very welcome. Congratulations on still training into your 50s. So many people stop training as they become older so you are now entering a phase of your life when you will be in a relatively small percentage of the population.You, like many of us, have found how to be able to continue training even with all of the responsibilities that life throws at us.This is real world training and not what the muscle comics post as the training of the champs.Glad to hear your training is paying off.Maybe you can tell us something about your training on the weight training thread.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates