Charles Atlas... Real or hype?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: peter yates, drob357

sticksb

Re: Charles Atlas... Real or hype?

Post by sticksb » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Most serious strength seekers and bodybuilders who lift and exercise for the long haul become
instinctive and realistic in their training . It's always going to be a personal journey and one size
does NOT for all . As Tom points out C Atlas led a lot of people to the land of exercise .Like a game
of pool , after the break , it's up to you .

wjgibbons1958

Post by wjgibbons1958 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:32 pm

Hello All, thanks for accepting me as a new member. I posted yesterday evening but don't think it made it into the forum? Anyway, I knew Charles Atlas Jr (1918 - 2008) for the last eleven years of his life. We had several wonderful telephone conversations and he told me some interesting stories about his famous Dad. In addition to this, I have done a huge amount of research into Atlas' life, and was consulted by author David Baines for his new book, "The Charles Atlas Story," which is now on Amazon. The book covers a great deal of Atlas' life, including many interesting stories and anecdotes, and even family photos that were not in the 1982 Gaines & Butler book. Below is the obituary of Charles Jr and his wife Billie (Wilma) who passed away recently. I will be happy to answer any Atlas questions, and will put together a detailed timeline if anyone is interested.

ATLAS, Charles Vincent Dec. 12, 1918 - Aug. 28, 2008 Beloved husband, father and grandfather, whose charm, intelligence and wit brightened our lives. A native of New York, Charles was a graduate of New York University and Columbia University. He was an Aeronautical Engineer and a member of the National Science Foundation. After retirement he taught math and science at Santa Monica College and Lincoln Junior High in Santa Monica. During World War II, he served with the U.S. Coast Guard in the Atlantic. Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Wilma (Billie), daughter Gia Crothers, son Thomas, M.D., grandsons Kyle and Kenneth, son William (predeceased), and his irreplaceable caregiver Danny Ramirez whose affection, kindness and patience is appreciated by all of us. A private family service was held in Santa Monica.

October 11, 1927 - November 24, 2019 Wilma "Bille" Atlas, age 92, passed away peacefully at her home in Santa Monica on 11/24/2019. She was born on October 11, 1927, in Oakland, California, to William and Emma Baer. She was predeceased by her husband Charles and son, William. She has been an active person all her life participating in organizations and maintaining many friendships. A graduate of UC Berkeley, she worked as a journalist for the San Jose Mercury News and the Santa Monica Evening Outlook. She was a member of the San Francisco Opera Guild conducting tours and helping raise money. She also served as the Director of Telegraph Hill Dwellers. She is survived by her son, Dr. Thomas Atlas, daughter-in-law Lisa, grandsons Kyle and Kenny, daughter Gia Crothers, and her three longtime caretakers Danny, Mercedes, and Carmen.

charles atlas

Post by charles atlas » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Bill, did CA's son followed any or all CA's principles?
regards
CA

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:21 am

I have the Gaines & Bulter book, and while the photo's are excellent I really didn't care for the tone surrounding the older Atlas or indeed his two children, while Charles Roman was lauded, but as it was based on his 'recollections' I suppose that was to be expected. I much prefer the 'version' told by Frederick Tilney in his book Young at 73, at least about the initial Atlas years.

Whatever he did later in life, Atlas Jr. had an excellent physique as a youth.

Richie.