Inquiry about Doug Hepburn

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

drob357
Site Admin

Inquiry about Doug Hepburn

Post by drob357 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

One of our Library members submitted an inquiry concerning Doug Hepburn. He wondered whether anyone knew the name of the cemetery where Hepburn was buried, presumably in Vancouver. I checked online but unfortunately was unsuccessful. I suggested that he might find this information in Tom Thurston’s biography of Doug Hepburn.
Thanks.
Diane
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Re: Inquiry about Doug Hepburn

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm

drob357 wrote:One of our Library members submitted an inquiry concerning Doug Hepburn. He wondered whether anyone knew the name of the cemetery where Hepburn was buried, presumably in Vancouver. I checked online but unfortunately was unsuccessful. I suggested that he might find this information in Tom Thurston’s biography of Doug Hepburn. Thanks. Diane
I shall be mentioning him in my review of Weightlifting medal winners at the Commonwealth Games from March onwards. According to a website called Billion Graves (which has a listing of a billion burial sites) there is only one Doug Hepburn with a burial in their records (1922 - 2006) so it is very possible that his relatives could have opted for an unmarked grave in the same way that Sandow was originally buried.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Doug was buried in Calgary in 2000 . Info from a notice in an old copy of Ironman (memory).
I wrote to Doug about a static exercise machine he developed and was marketing through
Ironman classifieds (around 78/79) . He answered and sent me a line card and a nice note with a phone #
with a Canadian exchange . If you had a product in those days you went through the Raders with
text only or someone would knock it off from the photo .

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 am

Thank you Harry and Chris for the good leads. I will share this information with our Library member.

My best wishes to you both,
Diane
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com