Bob Memery 1929-2014

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Handson

Re: Bob Memery 1929-2014

Post by Handson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Peter
I’m not totally sure how long she had suffered from the epilepsy but I get the feeling it was many years.
But what a resilient person she was to come back after a potentially life-changing accident in at the WPC/AWPC event in Las Vegas 2000. Here’s a report on that.

“ Dorothy Shaw is the most powerful woman in the sport. Not only would she have won this meet she was poised to blow the all-time women’s records to smithereens. Taking a 286k WR squat on a third attempt (the all-time overall record squat) she lost her balance at the bottom and fell forward. Because of her particular squat style she was unable to let go of the bar and fell forward on her knees, the bar threatening to break her in half, literally. The spotters truly saved her life, catching the bar in mid air. Sadly, the damage was done. Both of her patellas and tendons were shattered. She was rushed to the hospital and made as comfortable as possible. Dorothy was flown home to major double surgery. To make it worse, her daughter and her father watched from the audience while the terrible scene unfolded. A collection was taken to help her out. If she is never able to lift again, and sadly, it looks that way, the world will be deprived of one of the greats.”

But come back she gradually did in the 2000’s as my earlier post indicates.

By all accounts a very quiet unassuming lady -her daughter who lived with her said very few people in the street knew of her powerlifting prowess. However I bet many thought that she was imposing even in her everyday clothes.

Handson

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:52 am

Here’s one of Dot’s post-accident appearances at the WPC in 2009.
Handson
Attachments
IMG_3719.jpg
IMG_3719.jpg (459.33 KiB) Viewed 1374 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks again Handson,
Sounds like a remarkable person, i was aware of the injury and comeback but not that she had passed. The measure of a true champion to come back with all the odds against you, like Norb Schemansky who came back from spinal surgery to blow them all away.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates