Lurikh & Pospeshil Wrestling -Time For Closure?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Handson

Lurikh & Pospeshil Wrestling -Time For Closure?

Post by Handson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:59 am

Lurikh & Popeshil Wrestling.jpg
Lurikh & Popeshil Wrestling.jpg (344.46 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Pospeshil Reclining.jpg
Pospeshil Reclining.jpg (484.88 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Lurikh Standing.jpg
Lurikh Standing.jpg (477.74 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Hi All
These 3 pics show 1.the controversial wrestling pic; 2.Georg Lurikh (top) and 3.Karl Pospeshil (bottom).

Will Post later for interest G. Hackenschmidt & Eliseev

Regards

Handson

Harry Hayfield

Re: Lurikh & Pospeshil Wrestling -Time For Closure?

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:52 am

Do forgive me asking but what was the contreversey? In that first picture although they are both nude, the offending articles are not on show and therefore, given that at the time there was a lot worse going around, that picture is nothing more but art.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Handson wrote:Hi All
These 3 pics show 1.the controversial wrestling pic; 2.Georg Lurikh (top) and 3.Karl Pospeshil (bottom).

Will Post later for interest G. Hackenschmidt & Eliseev

Regards

Handson
Hi Handson, so it looks like it is Pospeshil and not Hack in the photo. Thanks for doing the investigative work to track this down. Controversy settled.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Thank you Handson. I'm also grateful for your investigative work. Well done! I will remove the photo from the Hack article.
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Handson

Post by Handson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Peter & Diane

Thanks for your appreciative comments -glad to have helped to sort it out.
Regards
Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi Handson,
main thing is if we want to consider ourselves as a history site then we need to be as accurate as we can and sorting things such as this photo helps to bring more clarity. Some may need to hold on the their own beliefs about certain issues even in the face of indisputable evidence but who does that serve?A case in point being Joe Rourke's investigation into the back lift attributed to Paul Anderson. Joe went in hoping to find the facts and information to back this up but to his dismay he could find no evidence that this lift with amount stated ever took place. He could have buried it but in the spirit of historical accuracy chose to publish his findings. Even in the face of what Joe was able to present many still clung to the belief that the lift had in fact taken place and became angry and abusive toward Joe in some instances. History is difficult enough but to deny actual facts makes the waters even muddier.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi Handson, i think you have won the argument fare and square and i am happy to be proved wrong, like most of us, we tend to believe a lie if its told often enough, all the previous pix i have seen of the pair didnt have the technique of the enlargments etc, but going by your evidence, i think you have done a great job of sorting an old myth and thanks for that, as you so rightly say, as a history site, we have to get things right and thats the beauty of our gang and site, we are honoured to have some knowledgable guys amongst. now i got to get my pencil rubber out and go back and erase the old pix i have, shame...but good job mate. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I certainly stand corrected in my belief of that being Georg Hackenschmidt in the photo with Georg Lurich. Top notch investigative work Handson, very well done! :)

I wasn't familiar with Karl Pospeshil until seeing this thread, but in looking him up I wasn't surprised to discover that he was also a professional wrestler. He was still wrestling as late as 1932 and I take it he must've taken up residence in Canada because all the latest results I've found for him took place there, specifically in Toronto, Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario & Quebec City, Quebec. And among his latter day opponents are a couple of very notable ones in Stan Stasiak & Joe Malcewicz. I also found a 1916 result for Pospeshil versus Alexander Aberg, who was of course a friend/peer/rival of Hackenschmidt & Lurich and a fellow famous/legendary Estonian wrestler.
Harry Hayfield wrote:Do forgive me asking but what was the contreversey? In that first picture although they are both nude, the offending articles are not on show and therefore, given that at the time there was a lot worse going around, that picture is nothing more but art.
Hey Harry, the controversy wasn't the subject matter of the photo, but whether or not it was Georg Hackenschmidt in the photo with Georg Lurich.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm

David Gentle wrote:Hi Handson, i think you have won the argument fare and square and i am happy to be proved wrong, like most of us, we tend to believe a lie if its told often enough, all the previous pix i have seen of the pair didnt have the technique of the enlargments etc, but going by your evidence, i think you have done a great job of sorting an old myth and thanks for that, as you so rightly say, as a history site, we have to get things right and thats the beauty of our gang and site, we are honoured to have some knowledgable guys amongst. now i got to get my pencil rubber out and go back and erase the old pix i have, shame...but good job mate. David Gentle
Hi David, well i do not think it was an argument just us all putting our heads together to come up with the facts of the matter. Honestly though one could be forgiven for thinking it was Hack underneath as the profile is very similar to a young Hack in that photo.I for one am always happy to be corrected if we can get to the truth of the matter. Great gang here as you say.Thanks to all for participating.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 am

OED Definition of Argument.jpg
OED Definition of Argument.jpg (609.21 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
Hi Peter

I'm totally relaxed about David's use of the word 'argument'; it's perfectly legit.
Indeed, your remark 'putting our heads together to come up with the facts' chimes very nicely with points 3, 4 and 5 in the attachment giving the definition from the OED.

Best regards
Handson