Adrian Heryet- Mr Britain 1961, NABBA Universe 2nd

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Tom K

Adrian Heryet- Mr Britain 1961, NABBA Universe 2nd

Post by Tom K » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello guys,

I am looking for information about a physical culturist from the 1960's called Adrian Heryet.

Reg Park once said that he was the strongest natural bodybuilder apart from himself.

His obituary
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3593201. ... r_Britain/

His muscle memory page:
http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?a=Heryet,+Adrian

He was a regular lifeguard at Brighton beach in his heyday.

Reg Park took him to South Africa on tour in 1965. This photo attached is where I first heard of him.

Please let me know if you have any articles or information written about him.
Attachments
1965 Park and Heryet before going to South Africa
1965 Park and Heryet before going to South Africa
29792781_357905491396516_2045409097484884507_n.jpg (51.89 KiB) Viewed 3515 times

peter yates

Re: Adrian Heryet- Mr Britain 1961, NABBA Universe 2nd

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi Tom,
thanks for reminding me about this top British Bodybuilder who was in all the mags when i was starting out. Yes he was one of that generation who were as strong as they looked. I am sure David has some info on him and i will have a look through my mags to see what i can find. Hope your training is going well, still using the cables?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Yes, training is going well, only 2x a week due to family and work comittments but I'm starting to get strong enough with the 20 rep squats now that it attracts attention in the gym. Microloading is going well for me. No cables at the moment, but I will pick them up again when life gets a little less crazy.

I still have so many articles by John Christy to type up and magazines to scan in, but I just am too busy.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Hey Tom,
we all understand that. Family and taking care of business always comes first, but that is what sorts those that only want and those that will do what is necessary. I know from my own experience fitting a couple of good heavy sessions in was all i was able to do at times but that consistent turning up and slow cooking method brings results over time. It takes a lot of bottle to do 20 rep squat sessions consistently, especially if you train alone but wow does it build character. Funny but now i am semi retired, kid grown up and more free time, it turns out i am an old bugger. :lol: Anyway i just started a 20 rep trap bar deadlift program and the old fire is still there. Clarence Bass just turned 80 and talks about continuing to have challenges as we age, i agree with him. Well glad you are still with us, post when you can and do not worry about the mags and such for now.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Hey Tom. I've seen Adrian Heryet's name among the winners of Mr. Britain, but other than that I'm honestly not familiar with him. After looking at his MuscleMemory page and Googling him though, I'm impressed. He had a very good physique and definitely looked strong, and Red Park's high opinion of him certainly carries a lot of weight. So I'd like to learn more about him myself now.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Heryet had a beautiful physique . Along with his powerful look he had a flowing
athletic quality and symmetry . Reminded of Vern Weaver former Mr. America
who also had fantastic strength.

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:55 am

lRe Adrian, i used to see him often at local south Britain shows, he had a fab physique and what helped , like Reeves he w as also very good looking, he won a lot of local stuff, then he sort of disappeared? i have him on the H&S mags of the say, and as i said, saw him a lot in the flesh as it were, wondered why he didnt continue shows /contests, as i am sure he could have been a mr universe. once again will have to dig out the mags of the day, but its nice to hear his name again and bring back memories of the shows i went to. for example, some shows i attended had the chairs arranged by a young Arnold Strong/Scharzenegger, then staying with Di and Wag Bennett as Wag ran most of the Southern shows. Will see what i can find, would love to know where Adrian went? David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi David,
Sad to report that he moved to Milton Keynes and lived there for 30 years before he died of liver and lung cancer in 2008 at age 70.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:55 pm

David Gentle is right, here is this fantastic looking bodybuilder with possibly one of the finest physiques to come out of the UK naturally, and we know nothing of how he trained or even any articles about him online apart from his obituary.

I would love to see any information about how he trained, his life etc. His legacy is not well known.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Tom,
soon as i get chance i will be looking through my old British mags. I would have thought that due to their connection Reg Park would have covered him in his magazines.Anyway now you have me interested to find out more about him.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates