Adrian Heryet- Mr Britain 1961, NABBA Universe 2nd

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

David Gentle

Re: Adrian Heryet- Mr Britain 1961, NABBA Universe 2nd

Post by David Gentle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:53 am

scan0182.jpg
scan0182.jpg (439.56 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
scan0186.jpg
scan0186.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3762 times
scan0186.jpg
scan0185.jpg
scan0185.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 3762 times
scan0186.jpg
scan0184.jpg
scan0184.jpg (825.89 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
scan0183.jpg
scan0183.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 3762 times
scan0186.jpg
Hope these pix get through of Adrian in Health and Strength,David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Ah well, what can you expect of an octoganirian. the stray photo of the wrestlers/judo guys was meant for Peter for his martial arts section, its an ancient post card from Iceland circa the 1900s of two guys practising what to me looks like an "inner thigh throw"? Peter would know.? I had others of Adrain, but they disappeared in the ether. I noted in my reference to him in the H&S issue (1962) that he also won the powerlifting for his weight, he was pictured squatting with 480lbs at a b/w of 14 stone, winning SAWLA british strength set champs. I was in the same outfit, weight around 13 stone, squat a lousy 320lbs, bench almost same weight, as i liked the exercise,whereas hated squats. curl 150, and area record holder(Hampshire) with 120lbs in the STRAIGHT ARM pullover, about a week later some joker beat my record with about 5more lbs. but i did get the certificate and some nice medals. Adrian was very strong, he had it all, strength, good looks and a very likeable personality. I was saddened to hear he had died back in 2008, something i didnt know until informed on this post by Peter. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Thank you so much for this David!

I went in search of the old listings for the BAWLA competitions, and it appears there isn't any archive whatsoever of the lifts. I tried to find any reference to Heryet and there is nothing.

The most amount of information we have, is in this forum post by Mr Gentle above. Was Adrian Heryet married at all? Have children? It would be good if we could track them down and find out something about him. Its such a shame that he's just disappeared from life. I would love to find out how he trained and why he stopped competing.

I did find a write up of one of the Nabba universe competitions where he finished 2nd, he was measured with the biggest calves, 18"! Very Reg Park like. Do we know any of his peak form measurements?

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi i had the great pleasure of spending the day with Adrian and his brother Ron in 2003, I went to school with Adrian's son Stephen and he arranged for me to meet Adrian as at the time i was going to have my own web page dedicated to bodybuilders from South Britain which never materialised due to personal matters. Adrian lived in my home town worthing in fact i now live in the same road he lived in with his first wife Veronica, when i went to Ron's house he invited me in with complete friendliness and Adrian stood up and shook hands with me he was about 65/66 years old and still very well built had a full head of hair and a radiant smile and looked considerably younger than his years although he had had some health set backs (heart attack). we sat and he chatted away as i asked questions he took a few seconds to give his answers you could tell he was a intelligent man who wanted to say the right thing first time. So lets talk about when he first started training, Adrian went off to Canada to work in a goldmine he never made his fortune but he got to see a lot of Canada too, in 1959 he came back to England and his brother Ron gave him some work as a tv aerial fitter although this was only short term as it really wasn't Adrians thing, while he was away Adrian's brother had joined a gym and Adrian went along with him this was the Manorbe health studios in Brighton and Adrian was hooked straight away he in fact did his first competition after only training about 3 months where he placed 5th this was enough to spur him on to really giving the iron game a real go. Dick Orbell and Derel Manthorpe owned Manorbe and took this beginner who grew like a mushroom under their wing and trained him he grew so quick he was Mr Britain winner within 2 years of training at a time when it would take most winners between 5 and 10 years to win it.. so he won the 1960 mr britain(held in 1961) and placed 2nd to Henry Downs at the 1960 mr universe he placed 2nd 3 times and 3rd twice at the NABBA Universe with many thinking he should have won the 1964 universe including the guy who trained with him at Brighton who won the pro that year namely Earl Maynard.. in 1965 he was invited by Reg Park to come over to South Africa to train with him and do some shows. Reg liked Adrian as they were similar both big and very strong and Adrian jumped at the chance i cannot remember what happened in south africa but i believe Adrian was there for nearly two years. Adrian also won the british strength set in 1963 he sqautted 600lbs at a bodyweight of 198lbs could curl 185lbs and bench press over 400lbs. He also won a mr europe bodybuilding contest and the european strength competition (1963?) in the same weekend!!!! I asked Adrian which did he prefer he said the weightlifting as with bodybuilding you may have the best physique but the judges may not like your physique so someone else wins whereas with strength competitions who ever lifts the most wins and no one can argue with that! I asked which of times was his fondest memory about his iron career, he said he did a tour in Ireland which involved a posing routine then some strength feats normally he would squat and on this occasion they put 500lbs on the bar and asked him to do as many reps as he could he said the atmosphere was electric and it got more and more vocal and the hand clapping from the crowd was deafening..it was the one and only time he hit 12 reps with that weight so that was his most memorable moment onstage. Yes he did disappear from the scene after coming back from Soth Africa Derek and Dick didnt want to lose their star pupil again so they said to him he could become a 3rd owner with them if he invested £3000 in the new gym they were building bearing in mind you could buy a house back then for that money, well to cut a long story short they took his money and never gave him what they promised he felt angry and disappointed in the two men who had taken his money so badly he walked away from bodybuilding and the iron world and nevr spoke to or about them again(i had spoken to Derek Manthorpe on the phone and he always regretted it he knew i was going to see Adrian and asked me to give him his number he said he always regretted what happened and wanted to apologise before Adrian passed away Adrian did phone him and patched things up). The next chapter of his life Adrian went to America and was the bodygaurd/chauffeur of filmstar Rex Harrison a very accentric gentleman and Adrians new wife was Rex's housekeeper so it worked well for them this lasted just over two years and Rex got weirder by the day which eventually ended up with Adrian and his wife leaving and moving back to the uk in milton keynes where he was a masseuse until he retired. He did think about a comeback but bodybuilding had changed a lot since he left he was a natural athlete and he wanted nothing to do with a sport that had become chemically enhanced and he decided against it .....so there you have what i remember was a long time ago thanks for reading

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:34 pm

adrian
adrian
adrian7.jpg (391.69 KiB) Viewed 3753 times

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:36 pm

his top measurements were 52" chest 19" arms 27" qauds 18.5" calfs

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 pm

^Welcome to the HOPC forum Pete, glad to have you aboard! Many thanks for contributing this info & the pic about Adrian Heryet, I certainly appreciate it and I know the other members will as well! :)

David Gentle wrote:
scan0186.jpg
Hope these pix get through of Adrian in Health and Strength,David Gentle
They did indeed get through. Great stuff, thank you as always David! :)

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:15 am

Adrian is the guy on the left once again he came second in the tall class of the 1961 nabba amateur universe to Ray Routledge ...Bill Pearl won the pro contest with Earl Maynard second...its amazing this is adrian with less than 3 years training
1962 adrian.jpg
1962 adrian.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 3749 times

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 am

adrian15.jpg
adrian15.jpg (435.04 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Last edited by PeteThorpe on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 am

adrian16.jpg
adrian16.jpg (489.3 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
and another