Adrian Heryet- Mr Britain 1961, NABBA Universe 2nd

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

PeteThorpe

Re: Adrian Heryet- Mr Britain 1961, NABBA Universe 2nd

Post by PeteThorpe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:26 am

adrian17.jpg
adrian17.jpg (354.99 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
another

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 am

another
adrian18.jpg
adrian18.jpg (333.26 KiB) Viewed 4319 times

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:29 am

adrian19.jpg
adrian19.jpg (502.83 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
another

PeteThorpe

Post by PeteThorpe » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:36 am

adrian20.jpg
adrian20.jpg (559.22 KiB) Viewed 4319 times

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Wow! What a contribution, thank you so much Mr Thorpe!

What a shame he retired, such an amazing physique and so very gifted. Without your contribution Pete, he could have disappeared forever. It is fantastic to hear about him from somebody who met him.

It would be great if you find the time to post your information you collected for your Sussex website that you never got round to doing. This site is quite the treasure trove of golden era information, this thread is now the only source of information available about this great man.

I love the picture of him curling, with the Reg Park barbell set. I will have to go looking for information about the British strength set championship, never heard of them before now. I wonder when they swapped the deadlift for the curl? There's not much online about bawla either.

Thanks again for getting back to me and giving us this great information

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:06 pm

Hello Peter,
first of all a warm welcome to the forum. Well what a terrific first posting from you and i sincerely hope it will not be the last. The photos are wonderful and your personal story really fills in a lot of blanks. There is no doubt that Adrian like Reg Park and Steve Reeves was a genetically gifted individual, and certainly made the most of it. All of that while staying Natural. My feeling is seeing in him the line up with the other tops of the day was that physique wise he should have been Mr. Universe but his posing may have let him down, anyway it is all subjective and as he said with lifting it is pretty clear. As for his partners in the gym business, it was probably that they had over extended and were unable to keep going thus everyone lost out, a not uncommon occurrence .Whatever, i am glad he made peace with Manthorpe.Anyway he did have ab interesting life it seems. Now peter, would you mind going to the new members thread and telling us a bit more about yourself.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Tom K wrote:Wow! What a contribution, thank you so much Mr Thorpe!

What a shame he retired, such an amazing physique and so very gifted. Without your contribution Pete, he could have disappeared forever. It is fantastic to hear about him from somebody who met him.

It would be great if you find the time to post your information you collected for your Sussex website that you never got round to doing. This site is quite the treasure trove of golden era information, this thread is now the only source of information available about this great man.

I love the picture of him curling, with the Reg Park barbell set. I will have to go looking for information about the British strength set championship, never heard of them before now. I wonder when they swapped the deadlift for the curl? There's not much online about bawla either.

Thanks again for getting back to me and giving us this great information
Hi Tom, when i started out the strength set was popular and it was a great way for lifters and bodybuilders to compete against each other.Actually at that time many did both anyway but the strength set was run to BAWLA rules using as you know the squat AKA deep knee bend, bench press and curl, which were also known as odd lifts. By the way the squat really did go much deeper then. The deadlift was also another odd lift that that was contested but often by itself. Just why those first three were chosen i am not sure but maybe David could elucidate. I stand to be corrected but i think the deadlift first replaced the curl in the USA. It makes more sense as the total weight lifted would be much higher and there is more balance to those three lifts from a body development point of view, we could say they are the foundation for any strength sport and also bodybuilding. Anyway although strength set is a more accurate description the catchier term of powerlifting came into use, and again i believe it was first used in the States. Powerlifting as a sport broke away from the confines of BAWLA rules in the UK and the rest as they say is history. Now there are so many organizations, equipped, raw, open, drug free, etc, etc. it is difficult to compare lifts between the different groups. Hope this makes some sense.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Tom K

Post by Tom K » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:04 am

Malcolm Wyatt got in touch with me about Adrian Heryet.

Copied from an email :

Yes, in the early 1960's Adrian trained under the ice skating rink in Blackpool. Yes he did have an amazing upper body physique I only trained with him once repping out with "250lbs barbell pull overs 3 x 10 on a five foot bar . I lived in Maidstone at the time; I'm sorry Thomas that ! don't know when or why or where

KInd Regards

Malcolm

250lbs pullovers! Strong

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:10 am

Dear Peter, thanks for the brilliant bio of Adrian, we must have been to the same contests ( I went to every reachable South Britain show) and have the same copies of Health and Strength, the reasosn he doesnt show in BAWLA is SAWLA was a competitor of that organisation, both of them at the usual "war" due to politics, too many chiefs not enough braves situation . I am not sure if SAWLA ever kept a proper record of its lifters and lifts,but they were all regularly published in Health and Strength, so could be compiled i guess if anyone had the time or energy.( A guy name of Jimmy Mannox??? was the secretary) So interesting to read from you of Adrians later life, i know i liked him on contact, although like John Lees, he didnt like being compared to Steve Reeves, the "English Reeves tag" was not welcome, he was no look alike, he was Adrian Heryet a great bloke with a special physique. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 am

Re SAWLA lifts, yes Peter, the dead lift (named because after performance, you felt like you were dead....kidding, its because the list is from a "dead" start) was dropped, due to its unpopularity and the bodybuilders favourite exercise the curl was substituted. This was judged strictly, no swinging, or cheating curls allowed, and quite tough, i managed to get a bronze medal with a near bodyweight curl. (140lbs) but my squats let me down and i cheated too much in the bench to get past any referee, although in those days nobody wore bench suites or knee bandages etc, Nice to see Malcolm Whyatt mentioned, as he was a great record keeper and had intensive knowledge and facts re most of the NABBA and other shows. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com