W. J. Hunt

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

drob357
Site Admin

W. J. Hunt

Post by drob357 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:38 am

I am posting this question on behalf of Larry, one of our Library members. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. - Diane

"Hello, my name is Larry W. Gronau Jr. and I am a new member of the HOPC Library. I was informed to write here on a question I have.

I was wondering if there is anybody out there or on here that might of known W.J. Hunt personally, as a friend or talked / seen him in action. I am a handstander and have a passion for it. I have put my hand standing in the closet for the past several years only calling on it occasionally. From time to time I search for inspiration and/or information on hand balancers. I came across W.J. Hunt a while ago in a small clip about his feat from a 6’ ladder to his hands in balance. I searched for any more information on him with no luck.

I just found this site and I feel it might offer me some insight and or hope to find out more on this gentleman that has the passion I have in hand balancing. Saying that I have the ability to drop to my hands in balance as well ( not at his height) but look to maybe achieve that some day with some insight on him which I believe will inspire me again and make some of my handstand goals and dreams come true.

Thank you , to anyone that can offer any advise or direction in my journey of finding out more about this Legend."
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Re: W. J. Hunt

Post by David Gentle » Sat May 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi Larry, I knew Bill Hunt a famous Maxalding pupil, but even more famous as a balancer. I write his biography way back and it would take some time to find, will have a look, he was famous for this ability to do tiger bends. I used to speak to him regularly on the phone. but another member my mate Paul Shaw knew Bill even better visiting him etc and i hope paul can also help you out as they had a lot in common with feats of gripping strength. My article was called The Amazing Bill Hunt, as i said he featured a lot in MAXALDING ADVERTS, so take a look at some of those available on the site, give me time to look out my stuff as i have a lot of stuff to go through to find him, best wishes and hope you become a member if not already, David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:15 am

Thank you David! I will alert Larry about your post. Great info!
Diane Robert

Paul Shaw

Post by Paul Shaw » Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Larry

I'm sorry I can't add any more info about Bills hand balancing ability
He did put out a course on hand-balancing

When I visited Bill his wife told me how she would return from shopping and the house would be full of Bill's friends who would be balancing on the back of the settee and coming down the stairs on their hands.

Bill also had a balancing act called the Omega trio (I think) that toured the music halls.

He held the record for tiger bend pushups having done 16

Will post if I remember any more snippets

Paul

drob357
Site Admin

Post by drob357 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Thank you Paul and David. I alerted Larry and asked him to respond.
Diane Robert

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed May 16, 2018 1:24 pm

If you search, you can find a book by Bill Hunt on Herculean balancing in the library called A to Z of Balancing with Dynamic Strength. by W.J.Hunt. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi Larry,
just back from a trip to England and my hometown of Darwen where Bill Hunt is also from. I grew up seeing Bill around Town and hearing tales of his exploits,he certainly was a local hero and a real gentleman to top it off. In my early teens i was taught hand balancing by a pupil of Bill's and introduced to Bill who would give me pointers on both hand balancing and lifting. Although i went off on my travels i kept in touch with Bill and visited him when i was back in town,the last visit being a year before he passed when he was still in great shape with a very strong grip.Bill was an all round strength athlete and he was excellent in several disciplines. On this recent trip i was helping the Darwen Heritage Society in gathering information about Bill for a display they are doing on prominent people who have come from Darwen. It is nice to see he will be honored in this way. If you check the library you will find articles on bill by David and myself plus as David mentioned the booklet on Hand balancing that Bill wrote.I would also like to say that your accomplishments are very good,keep up the training.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

LarryJr.

Post by LarryJr. » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Thank you all for your efforts and help. It is amazing to me to hear of his stories from you all. I wish I had the opportunity to meet this great man. David if it is possible, as I know you are busy , the biography on his life would be awesome to read.
Is there anybody now that is still continuing his teaching ? It seems a lost art in a way. I have looked for teachers and or classes to get better and achieve my handstand dreams. I am getting older and that worries me that my dreams / goals might never be reached as I keep letting time go by with stints of handstand work only occasionally. I lost a bit of my drive ..but I still dream of achieving and setting some of record for myself in the handstand world and maybe even the grip world as well.
Again thank you all, and would love to personally talk to anyone of you on W.J. Hunt someday if at all possible to get a voice with a name...something in this day in age is lost.

Kind Regards,
Larry Gronau Jr.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 am

Hi Larry, well hand-balancing is not a lost art yet but there are far less people doing it than there used to be.At one time if you lifted weights you would also do at least a bit of balancing for fun and variety.All of the mags had regular columns on the various stunts performed singly or with a partner or two. So it seems that you already have the basics under control but what i read into your post is that you are not being vigilant in your practice. I can well understand that is more difficult on your own but to really do anything you have to put in the time and work. If i may make a suggestion, i would advise doing balancing 3 to 4 times a week. At first make most of these sessions work on the basics and refining what you know and to get back into the swing of it. Then when you are more motivated and feel ready try a new stunt on one or two of the days. This will give you a challenge to aim for, and when you succeed try a different or more difficult stunt. As you know the biggest hurdle is first learning the handstand and then you have a good base to work from. Always fit in a basic day in the week though and also go over stunts you know while learning new ones.Once you get back in the swing do some balancing every day especially if you are learning a new move. Maybe you can interest some youngsters into learning from you as that may keep your interest up too. Do not give in but make your mind up this is what you want and work out your training plan. As for grip we have two of the best on the forum in Mobster and Paul Shaw.I am sure they would be happy to answer questions on grip training,feats etc. either via the forum or PM.Also check out David Horne's site The World of Grip and his Youtube channel. If you can get motivated i will send some hand-balancing articles for the library to give you some ideas.Hope this is of some help.Keep in touch and let us know your progress.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 am

Re Bill Hunt and handbalancing, another great place to search for articles and instruction on hand balancing are early issues of Health and Strength( eg by the Hibberts family)which often had series on handbalancing as in those days of yore, bodybuilders were expected to be able to do at least some basic body skills. take a look around the fifteen and onwards, if i come ac ross a series will put its references on the site for you. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture