Stairway to Stardom - David Webster

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

David Gentle

Re: Stairway to Stardom - David Webster

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Ritchie, a guy went to the doc, said when i press my shoulder it hurts, he said when i press my stomach , it hurts, he said when i press my knee, it hurts....doc said, i know whats wrong with you, (drum roll) you have got a bad finger.
You did a great deal with those old H&S mags for that give away price, i have seen them on ebay for £12. each...mind you , you can ask for what you like, what you actually get for them is a different matter. Peter is right (aint he always.) Strength Lore and Strands, although only a small book, is really like the bible of strand pulling history. I have just been talking to Dave Webster and got an invitation to his 90th birthday party in Glasgow in September, he just loves the small tribute we did to him on the site. a lot of guys will be there, Jan and Terry Todd for example will try to get some pix, or better still , nick some of his old Sandow trophies..David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi David, that will be a good gathering for sure. Yes get some pics and also do a brief write up for the site. Do not forget your passports to get over the border. ;)
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Re the Scotch dinner, i hope they dont bring in that no "up kilts photos" law,before i get there, may get some suprises.
David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 pm

David Gentle wrote:Re the Scotch dinner, i hope they dont bring in that no "up kilts photos" law,before i get there, may get some suprises.
David
I am sure the Scotch will be flowing so anything can happen. ;)
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Re the Scotch dinner et al.I remember being in the REEME on the Suez canal, it had been hot as Egypt tends to and a new intake came in,all looking lilly white. My mate said to me."He Dave, that guy there is quite good looking, got a good build" I said i think its time we went home mate, we have been here too long when you begin to fancy the new intakes.. and yes i did survive, only to be sent on to Paradise or Cyprus before they began to shoot at each other and us in the middle. Tune in next week for more tales from the unexpected, David, off to polish my medal.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Keep in mind , if you let Terry T order the dinner , you'll need an
extra week ...

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Sticks, you know Toddy then, we were at a dinner with him and his wife Jan, we had all ordered, then it was Terrys time, talk about a diva, he went on and on and on and on and on...you get the drift, finally just before the joint was going to close, he finally decided what he wanted to eat, by then i was past it, Rose had drifted off, Jan had written three articles,and Dave Webster was comatose...its a good job it was one of those "fast food restruants..next time i wlll have a meal before i go out and maybe order the pudding? David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:19 pm

AH, but who paid?
Peter Yates