The First Protein Shaker?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

ConorHeffernan

The First Protein Shaker?

Post by ConorHeffernan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 am

Hi all,

Bit of a strange one, but I'm interested in learning about the first commercially produced protein shaker.

I know powders were being produced by the 1950s, did the shaker bottle come soon after?

Have spent quite a while searching online but to no avail so any ideas would be welcome!

Thankful as always,

Conor

peter yates

Re: The First Protein Shaker?

Post by peter yates » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi Connor,
nice to hear from you again and hope all is well with you. I cannot help you with this but also look forward to hearing about this topic from anyone who can. I remember making my own shake from milk, skim milk powder,Ovaltine and raw egg. I just but it in a plastic Tupperware type drink container with a lid on and shook it vigorously. This was the early sixties.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm

I think you will find our old friend Jack La Lanne claims to have brought out the first shakers and health food drinks, often advertised in Hoffmans York mags. That is as far as i know the best claim to fame for health shakers and La Lanne made plenty of dollars with the idea, advertising on US Television shows etc, back in the late 40s-50s. I have some of Jacks old Health Books, so will take a look,but you can also have a look around that era and of Jack influence. He certainlly was a great advertisement for his own ideas. David Gentle p.s as for the first "protein" bars, its Mrs Grimek who claimed to be the first to make up cereal and nut bars etc for the guys at York including ole J. C.G.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Read many moons ago Vince Gironda mixed many a protein drink in a cocktail jigger.
Since Vinny loved top chelf liquor he undoubtedly had a few of these around .Abe Goldberg
had one of the first juice bars affiliated with his gym and was using blenders and health drink
coolers ahead of the time they became popular .

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am

HI Sticks, Leo Stern told me that Vince was a bit of a piss ass, and a bit too fond of the "creature" as the Irish say, or as us civalised lot say, the booze. I know when i trained under Don Dorans, he advised me to save money and make my own shakes from skim milk powder, mixed with full cream milk and if you had it some Complan, a "complete drink powder you made up" to mix the lot up and drink daily, giving at least 50gms of protein, more than enough for the body to consume, a lot of guys overload on protein which just literally goes doen the pan whilst the makers become rich. With all those eggs Vince ate, i would have hated to be around when he farted....or" let wind "perhaps i should say.I met him several times, loved his hair and buckshin coat, but boy he had attitude. David G.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

ConorHeffernan

Post by ConorHeffernan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the comments. I really do appreciate that.

Shall have a route round the Lalanne, Abe and Gironda stories and see what I find. If I turn anything up I'll let you know!

Best wishes,

Conor

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:55 pm

As a fledgling lifter and equipment builder I made the mistake of sending Vinny
a design and following it up with a phone call . It was obvious from his response
he was half in the bag .He hid a lot of stuff behind the crotchety sob persona then
he pulled it so often he adopted it for people who didn't know him to well .Art Jones
did this too ...Troubled brilliance …

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:40 am

David Gentle wrote:HI Sticks, Leo Stern told me that Vince was a bit of a piss ass, and a bit too fond of the "creature" as the Irish say, or as us civalised lot say, the booze. I know when i trained under Don Dorans, he advised me to save money and make my own shakes from skim milk powder, mixed with full cream milk and if you had it some Complan, a "complete drink powder you made up" to mix the lot up and drink daily, giving at least 50gms of protein, more than enough for the body to consume, a lot of guys overload on protein which just literally goes doen the pan whilst the makers become rich. With all those eggs Vince ate, i would have hated to be around when he farted....or" let wind "perhaps i should say.I met him several times, loved his hair and buckshin coat, but boy he had attitude. David G.

When Nautilus was going great guns (70s/early80s) Jones did exhaustive studies on protein usage and came up with
60 grams complete(per day) being optimal for an athlete intent on maximum strength and muscle growth . The Miami Dolphins trainer gave us the recipe for DIY protein powder and basically said most protein supplements on the US market amounted to fillers and sheetrock dust.

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:34 am

ConorHeffernan wrote:Hi all, Bit of a strange one, but I'm interested in learning about the first commercially produced protein shaker. I know powders were being produced by the 1950s, did the shaker bottle come soon after? Have spent quite a while searching online but to no avail so any ideas would be welcome! Thankful as always,
Conor
Don't worry about a thing, Conor, for every strange request, the internet is there

https://physicalculturestudy.com/2018/0 ... n-shakers/ (published in July 2018)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)