Health and Strength Magazine?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Conor Heffernan

Health and Strength Magazine?

Post by Conor Heffernan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Quick question but does anyone know the current status of Health and Strength?

It's been a while since I received an issue. Does anyone know if it's still running?

It'd be such a pity if not!

Conor

David Gentle

Re: Health and Strength Magazine?

Post by David Gentle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi Conor, heres the facts, Roy Edwards sold the mag to Rob Feesey an active natural bodybuilder, the first couple of issues, were put together with the help of Roy Edward and myself along with the lady who did all the work Jo-anne Feesey. All went well and i was supposed to be features editor and we had a good relationship and i contributed my usual Muscleanous, along with providing dozens of photos and several articles, plus a new book as a prize for anyone who could get more subscribers . Joe the wife and I corresponded for a few months, during which i gathered they had some family problems with their children which took up most of Joes time, i have no idea what Rob did towards the mag, anyway, after sending in material, the time went by, no anwers to mail, no magazine, no replies to emails, no return of photos etc, it was just a complete blank. No explanation was ever given, the magazine, the oldest continuous mag on bodybuilding in the world, for which i had written for over 50 years and multiple owners and editors, just disappeared. no letter sent out to subscribers, in fact i believe i heard some people were still sending in subs?? so to sum up, no magazine or word of explanation for now what must be over a year. I feel the least the new owner Rob could have done was to send out a letter to all the old and new subscribers the reasons for the mags non show, i am sure most of us would have understood if it was personal, to do with the children etc, but they chose to just more or less hide?? Whether Rob who was a competing bodybuilder still shows his face at contests, i have no idea, if he does, perhaps someone will ask him what happened, Personally for me, it was a tragedy a big part of my life cut off, so Conor, as former "Features editor, and contributor for decades and under at least 5 owners, its a very sad ending to what was once a truly great magazine. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Conor Heffernan

Post by Conor Heffernan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for the update. That really is a shame and sad to hear it's effectively disappeared.

Shall keep my eyes out for any possible revivals as there's something magical about a magazine with such a lineage continuing.

Conor

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi Conner, nothing much more to add but like David i feel it was a sad and inglorious end to a physical culture institution.Also as David said it would be understandable if the owners were unable to continue, but at least some word to subscribers would have in a small way eased the pain. There may have been someone who was willing to take over the old mag if they had known the situation.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates