Alexander Zass

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Paul Shaw

Re: Alexander Zass

Post by Paul Shaw » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:58 am

Hi Harry and the gang

The reason you are unable to find her in Manchester is that she died in Middlesex. 22nd August 1928 registration London. Probate was 22 September 1928.

She died as a result of miscarriage at 5 months. The story about the baboon attaking her may be linked but have found nothing to support this.

The original question about her has been asked a few times over the years on circus record sites genealogy sites etc. Hence my question what does the inquirer wish to discover.

Regards

Paul

PS My better half Sue found the info, and there is a bit more info available.

Paul Shaw

Post by Paul Shaw » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:58 am

Paul Shaw wrote:Hi Harry and the gang

The reason you are unable to find her in Manchester is that she died in Middlesex. 22nd August 1928 registration London. Probate was 22 September 1928.

She died as a result of miscarriage at 5 months. The story about the baboon attaking her may be linked but have found nothing to support this.

The original question about her has been asked a few times over the years on circus record sites genealogy sites etc. Hence my question what does the inquirer wish to discover.

Regards

Paul

PS My better half Sue found the info, and there is a bit more info available.

BenS

Post by BenS » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi there,
I’ve just come across this old chat about Zass. I’ve just been reading some old newspaper clippings from 1926 regarding my great great uncle Louis Sandy who was going through bankruptcy. It’s claimed through the article that he had a love child named Blanche Leach and that his relationship with Brenda Leach had been the cause of his financial demise. He denied being Blanche’s father and that the money he learnt to Brenda and Blanche was a loan which would be repaid when Blanche’s career in entertainment had taken off. It’s then reported that Blanche had married Strong Man Zass at the age of 16 and that the debt could not be repaid as Zass wouldn’t allow his wife to work.
I hope this information is of some interest in some way.

Regards

heroolympus

Post by heroolympus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Is there any news on this topic? It's been 3 years.

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am

Hi definitive info on Blanche Minnie M. Zass (nee Leach).

Born quarter 1 1909.

Died Lewisham quarter 3 1928
Regards

Handson
Attachments
Blanche M. M. Zass Death.jpg
Blanche M. M. Zass Death.jpg (64.25 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Blanche Minnie M. Leach Birth.jpg
Blanche Minnie M. Leach Birth.jpg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi All

There are lots of references to Alexander Zass or ‘Samson’ in the various newspapers particularly in the 1930s and 1940s.

Zass tried wrestling (not always successfully) as well as the strongman stunts in theatres across the Country.

There’s an article that refers to his working as an animal trainer for a zoo where his prowess with a rifle left much to be desired.

Here are a couple of the said articles.

Regards
Handson
Attachments
Zass & Bear's Cage.jpg
Zass & Bear's Cage.jpg (301.06 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
Daily Mail March 10 1936 Zass Beaten.jpg
Daily Mail March 10 1936 Zass Beaten.jpg (821.11 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
Samson at Hippodrome may 1924.jpg
Samson at Hippodrome may 1924.jpg (299.34 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Wow, just been catching up on the Zass topic and was delighted to see The Shaw detective company and the other information supplyers have done some great work and so interesting This is why this site beats all others, its the best place for information on the net bar none. Also interested because as well as seeing Zass when a nipper when he must have escaped from Bristol zoo and was doing a strength act in a place called "The ditches" in Southampton, i also have seen the " wrestler " named as Jack Dale" whom i think was actually the Irish boxer (and singer) Jack Doyle. If it was Doyle, i am supprised he "won" as he may have been a boxer, but couldnt fight his way our of a paper bag at wrestling and in any case i suspect the "Card" already had him as winner as was the custom, the results were given first by the promoter and how the wrestlers told the story line was up to them. David Gentle.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks to all, for supplying this great information about Zass.Now i will have to go back and look but i do not think Zass was ever a Cossack officer and if i remember correctly he actually deserted from the army and then was captured by the enemy. He apparently escaped more than once too. Now as to his being genuine as a strongman, unlike some others, i do believe he was.Both Pullum and Bill Hunt testified to his real raw strength and i know for sure Bill was not one who tended to exaggeration. However seems like his rifle skills were a bit lacking for a Cossack officer. All said and done though, very strong man, great compact physique and one of the iron games colorful characters.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Genuine concesus is Zass was never in the Cossacks, if he was, then i was in the girls life brigade....David
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

heroolympus

Post by heroolympus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Thank you for the information, friends! Soon I will also tell something interesting.