Pat McShane Inquiry

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

drob357
Site Admin

Pat McShane Inquiry

Post by drob357 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Greetings All,
We received the following inquiry concerning Pat McShane from Tom, one of our website followers. I've asked him to please watch this thread in case anyone is able to assist. Thank you.
Hi there as far as I am aware Pat McShane from Coatbridge in Scotland held the world record for a single arm dumbbell press at one point in time.

Would any of your contacts have known Pat who over his lifetime has been a very positive influence in health and strength and an outspoken critic of the use of steroids.

Pat will now be aged around 75 and I know from speaking with him many years ago that many health and strength competitors from the USA and Canada came to Scotland and knew Pat well as a fellow health and strength promoter and participant. Regards Tom
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Thomas

Re: Pat McShane Inquiry

Post by Thomas » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 am

Hi Tom. my name is Thomas and trained through pat for many years,he gave good advice not just on your training but on nutrition and supplement side to help you achieve healthy growth, and your right in saying he did not like the use of drug's in the sport. As fare as i know Pat still holds various record for his body weight and always believed in good style and Technic,Pat was one in a million and well known in the sport. at this point i would just like to say Pat sadly passed away on the 26th November 2016 a great loss to family, friends, and the sport he loved.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:37 pm

HI THOMAS,
FIRST OF ALL I SEE THIS IS YOUR FIRST POST SO WELCOME TO THE FORUM AND I HOPE WE HEAR MORE FROM YOU. NEXT THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION ABOUT PAT McSHANE. I WAS SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT HE HAD PASSED AWAY.HE WAS OFTEN IN THE MAGS IN THE 50s AND 60s AND I BELIEVE A GOOD FRIEND OF REG PARK. BESIDES BEING A GOOD BODYBUILDER HE WAS ALSO VERY STRONG. IT IS GREAT THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO TRAIN WITH HIM. DO YOU HAVE ANY STORIES TO SHARE WITH US ABOUT THAT TIME?
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Peter, are we talking about "Buster Mc Shane? if its him then as you say, he showed up a lot in H&S, was a friend of Reg and also the late Ivan Dunbar, who was a mate of mine because we were always at so many contests. if its Busteer, i know he held some bench press records. not sure about a "Pat" oh...Thanks for chrissy card mate, David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:01 pm

I seem to have got my McShanes mixed up. You are right David i was thinking of Buster McShane who was actually from Belfast and whose first name was Robert. He ran a gym and was a contributor to Reg Park journal and friend to many top bodybuilders/lifters of the time. Sadly he was killed in a motor accident in 1973.I hope more information surfaces about Pat McShane and sorry for any confusion.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi Peter. The Pat McShane i was talking about was from coatbridge here in Scotland he was more the power lifter strong man than bodybuilder, breaking 6" nails with his bare hands,blowing up hot water bottles and ripping telephone books in half among other strong man stunts of the day. i remember him at times doing a hand stand on two old 56lb weights.... the old square type....and walking round the gym on them, he would lay them side by side lifting both with one hand and with a nice clean lift press them above his head. Pat was well known to in the sport by many professionals one i remember was Tom Platz was doing a seminar here in Scotland and pat took me along and introduced me to him before his show, I was in awe that night seeing Tom pose and go though his routine, think i was hooked on the sport even more that night.....

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi Thomas,
thanks for another interesting story about Pat. Did he perform at any shows with his strongman act? If so that will be recorded in magazines of the time. It takes a strong man to clean the old 56lb blocks side by side with one hand and an even stronger one to put it over head. The blocks just want to pull away from each other so a very strong grip is essential. We had a couple of lads at our gym who could clean them but only one who could put them over head. Best i could do was break them off the floor a few inches.Sorry to hear Pat has just passed away and would love to know more about him.How would you feel about writing something and submitting it to the writer's circle on this site. If you have any photos that would also be very welcome.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:05 pm

as a new member here i came accross the pat mcshane inquirey, i trained in pats gym for 17 years.it was an old school gym with a great atmosphere.pat was a religious man who never smoked or drank or swore.lovely family man too.he ran a few physique contests. the main one being the yearly mr monklands combined with the mr lanarkshire.the monklands being open only to those that lived in the coatbridge area. however the lanarkshire was open to all. it used to attract top physiqyes from all over britain.wesley imundi and harold dickinson being past winneres. roy duvall and walter omalley, ian lawrence amongst others being guest posers.pat used to run a bus every year to the mr universe and mr britain shows.he also ran the scotlands strongest man contest.i won that 3 times. 1981,82.83.pats first gym closed down in 1981 when he ventured into opening a massive gym complex which included a snooker hall with 40 full size tables, a resturant,saunas and 3 gyms.however it was sadly a financial dissaster and closed down in 85.this is when i decided to open my own gym.it opened in 86 and is still going strong now.however i sold it to my partner in 2004 when i moved to bulgaria.sadly pat passed in 2016 after spending his last years in a nursing home.he contrated dementia.a sad ending for such a clean living man.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your personal memories of Pat, even though you mention him in your book it was nice to be reminded. There is a tribute to him in the Library too. As you well know the gym business can be really fickle and in many ways it is safer staying small and manageable. Fewer and fewer of those old school gyms around now, but glad to know yours is still in operation.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

raynobile

Post by raynobile » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:00 am

thanks peter i visited the library found the article on pat by andrew reid.however i cannot access the full article.page takes me to subscriber page,however i amm already a subscriber.help would be appreciated. ray.