W. A. Pullum Patent Barbell

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

peter yates

Re: W. A. Pullum Patent Barbell

Post by peter yates » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi Tom,
Nice to see you posting,and what a rare item it is.I wonder if anyone else has one,David maybe or Gil?I trust all is well with you and always good to get your contributions to the site.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Tom Balchin wrote:Hi Handson,

What a great Antiques Roadshow that was - I saw it when it was first aired - and Peter was due at mine a couple of days later so we pulled it up on iplayer and watched it again - an incredible barbell with unique (?) tap-style collars? Definitely a keeper!

Have a look at this which I found the other day to add to my collection (I like weightlifting medals and lapel pins!): there can't be many of these surviving - an original CWLC lapel pin.. it's about an inch round - this is in uncleaned state - it looks much better now...
Camberwell is, of course, where I was born and brought up. My dentist was above the health shop at the address which previously been the HQ of Health & Strength. At the back of a funeral parlor was a shed which had a sign for the Camberwell Club. My mum still lives nearby.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm

What a great Antiques Roadshow that was - I saw it when it was first aired - and Peter was due at mine a couple of days later so we pulled it up on iplayer and watched it again - an incredible barbell with unique (?) tap-style collars? Definitely a keeper!

Have a look at this which I found the other day to add to my collection (I like weightlifting medals and lapel pins!): there can't be many of these surviving - an original CWLC lapel pin.. it's about an inch round - this is in uncleaned state - it looks much better now...
Very cool Tom, thanks for sharing! What other kind of pins & medals do you own?

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Mobster wrote:

Camberwell is, of course, where I was born and brought up. My dentist was above the health shop at the address which previously been the HQ of Health & Strength. At the back of a funeral parlor was a shed which had a sign for the Camberwell Club. My mum still lives nearby.
Well I'm intrigued.... do you happen to have any idea how a sign for the Camberwell Weightlifting Club ended up in a shed behind a funeral parlor?

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm

It may well be the other way round. That the shed and club were there first and the funeral palour later.

I just double checked the address as 'Coldharbour Place SE5' (the lane at the back where I saw the sign - the front is Denmark Hill). I don't know if it went by another name some years before my time and, from memory, the address I've seen for the club is near but not the same.

According to: https://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/history/ they were also at 5 Camberwell Church Street (as per H&S and my dentist) in the basement and later on (maybe it was his house before the parlour) ''He went on to open his own weight lifting club in 1949 in the shed at the bottom of the garden.''

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Mobster wrote:It may well be the other way round. That the shed and club were there first and the funeral palour later.

I just double checked the address as 'Coldharbour Place SE5' (the lane at the back where I saw the sign - the front is Denmark Hill). I don't know if it went by another name some years before my time and, from memory, the address I've seen for the club is near but not the same.

According to: https://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/history/ they were also at 5 Camberwell Church Street (as per H&S and my dentist) in the basement and later on (maybe it was his house before the parlour) ''He went on to open his own weight lifting club in 1949 in the shed at the bottom of the garden.''
Thanks Steve, this is quite interesting. :)

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:10 am

Hello Tom
I've just read your post. That's a super pin you've unearthed -I wish I had one!
Regards Handson

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Battered Pullum Bars.jpg
Battered Pullum Bars.jpg (546.91 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
Hi All
I thought that you may wish to see a pic of what I am reliably informed* are two bars previously owned by the Pullum family. A contact in the USA, told me that Wally Pullum personally presented him with the bars.
The contact kindly photographed them for me.

Regards Handson.

* There is a feature of one of the bars which I separately know about that categorically authenticates it as previously belonging to WAP/Wally Pullum.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:37 am

^That's pretty cool Handson, those bars certainly look as though they were lifted many a time. Thanks for sharing. :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Handson wrote:
Battered Pullum Bars.jpg
Hi All
I thought that you may wish to see a pic of what I am reliably informed* are two bars previously owned by the Pullum family. A contact in the USA, told me that Wally Pullum personally presented him with the bars.
The contact kindly photographed them for me.

Regards Handson.

* There is a feature of one of the bars which I separately know about that categorically authenticates it as previously belonging to WAP/Wally Pullum.
Hi Handson, thanks for sending the photos and info. Could you share with us what that feature might be? Does the contact still train or collect?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates