W. A. Pullum Patent Barbell

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: peter yates, drob357

Handson

Re: W. A. Pullum Patent Barbell

Post by Handson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:12 am

DannyBoy wrote:^That's pretty cool Handson, those bars certainly look as though they were lifted many a time. Thanks for sharing. :)
Hey DannyBoy

... and dropped many a time I shouldn't wonder!

Handson

Handson

Post by Handson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:14 am

Hi Peter
Quite some time before having any contact with the present US owner of the ex-Pullum family bars I had a conversation with a British iron game aficionado.

In passing he told me he had seen two old Pullum ‘family’ bars in London when visiting either Wally Pullum’s home or his shop. One was the cambered variety and the other a patent type.

WP in discussing the bars had said that during a house move one of the bars became dislodged and hung out of the back of the vehicle and the end of the bar got abraded down.

Subsequently when I had a discussion with the American chap on an unrelated topic I happened to mention my Pullum bar and to my surprise he told me about two battered bars he had been given by WP.

Intrigued I asked if he could send me a photo of the bars and naturally I looked at each of the ends.

I cross-checked the photo with the aficionado who confirmed that in particular, given the end damage, these seemed to be the bars he had seen.

So, quod erat demonstrandum I feel.

As to whether the US chap is both a lifter and a collector –I know he is the latter and assume he is probably the former.

Regards
Handson

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Handson,
thank you for the reply and detailed explanation.Regards,peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 am

Hi Peter

You're welcome.

I wonder how Stanley Douglas Stirling Pullum the younger brother of William Pullum would have ultimately fared had he progressed his promising start in the lifting game?

I know he did a stint in the Army and contracted malaria though if he had a similar resolve to medical adversity as WAP one wouldn’t have thought that would have deterred him.

He married and lived to a fairly good age.

Cool sartorial elegance seen in this picture with Edward Aston dressed and equipped for all weathers.

Young Stan is on the far right back row.

I hope that this isn't deja vu

Regards Handson
Attachments
SDS Pullum et alia.jpg
SDS Pullum et alia.jpg (294.37 KiB) Viewed 9324 times

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 am

^Great photo Handson, thanks for sharing it! :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Handson,
great photo and information.I have heard little of Stan before so this is interesting.He certainly favors Bill.Was he involved in the business do you know?
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Handson

Post by Handson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi Peter
Regarding Stan Pullum, I was in touch with a descendant of the family some time ago -that's how I was aware of his army service and malaria.
I'll see if I can find out more.
He was certainly active when he was 16 -see small attachment with further details of his lifts at that time.
He seems to have a dreamy wistful look in the photo so perhaps he's got other plans than spending too much time in the gym -silver and gold awards notwithstanding!

Regards
Handson
Attachments
SDS Pullum lifts.jpeg
SDS Pullum lifts.jpeg (150.64 KiB) Viewed 9316 times

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:29 am

Thanks for the new information regarding Stan.Now i am intrigued to learn more about him,so anything you dig up is very welcome.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am

Hi Handson, thanks for posting the info about Stan Pullum! I wasn't familiar with him so this is interesting. :)

Handson

Post by Handson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 am

DannyBoy wrote:
Handson wrote:
The attachment Jack Starz Wrestler & Powerlifter.jpg is no longer available
Hi Peter

Glad you liked the Ivy Russel article, a powerful woman for her day.
Guilty as charged m'lud over the Antiques Roadshow.
So much of the 40 minutes filming cut away though.
I mentioned buying the set for £5 -equates to about £100 today from a fellow lifter in Chester.
Trained in a big unheated ex Army Nissan hut -hot as Hades in Summer and 'taters' in Winter.
Chap who ran it was called Bob Sconce a pure Olympic lifter competed in the Commonwealth Games way back.
He later became a top snooker judge at Sheffield Crucible &c.He died a few years ago.
Some of the lads & I and bods like Vick Evans and Bryan Connor from nearby Wrexham gym would go to places like the Houldsworth Hall Manchester where Harold Wrigley ran a mix of NABBA contests and dumbell lifting and nail breaking &c. Arnold Dyson was there one year and challenged 10 volunteers to break 6 inch nails. Yours truly was the only successful one -it's in the Health & Strength mag but Oscar Heidenstam lost my name so anon but somewhere I've got a signed card by AD about it.
Adam Schoon Antiques Roadshow valuer asked me if there were any interesting stories -I said knocking my two front teeth out was fairly memorable and started to tell him about some likely lads who came to a gym I later started dressed in Teddy Boy gear including drainpipe trousers. One insisted in trying out a lift in front of his chums so I stuck 150lb on his back and he squatted down to a sound like tearing calico. Adam Schoon -hey stop there, this is a family show!
My family is now on 2nd and 3rd generation trainers -one grand nephew played twice for England Rugby and now a personal trainer and another one is a full time Wrestler by the name of Jack Starz [stage name]. The wrestling earns his crusts so can't say too much about that but he's quite a strong lad and improving all the time -see attachment.

Regards.
Hey Handson, great info there. Sorry to hear Oscar Heidenstam lost your name and you didn't get the proper credit in H&S, but it's a great story. Also, I'm familiar with your grand nephew Jack Starz, he was recently an alternate in the WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament.
Hi Danny

Seasons greetings to you and all.

I have an occasional look at Jack's online stuff and this one made me smile.

A soft landing by the looks of it.

The only airdrop I previously knew about is on my Apple computers!

Regards
Handson
Attachments
Coming in to Land for Christmas!.png
Coming in to Land for Christmas!.png (909.14 KiB) Viewed 9165 times