Maxalding

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

drob357
Site Admin

Maxalding

Post by drob357 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Greetings Members,

The following message arrived in our mailbag this morning. We welcome your comments or any advise you may have for this gentleman. I shared a link to this thread with Norman. Thank you.

Hello, I´m Norman from Germany,

first of all I want to express my appreciation for sharing so generously all these masterpieces from the past! Thank you so much... I have learned so much from Maxick, Strongfort or Monte Saldo...
Now to my request:
I would love to become a maxaldist and study this art. The problem is... where can I get the course and start studying? Unfortunately, Court Saldo died many years ago... Who is passing the flame of Maxalding on to others?

I would be so happy if you could help me out!

Sincerely yours,

Norman
Diane Robert
Chief Librarian/Site Administrator
https://davidgentle.com

Talbot

Re: Maxalding

Post by Talbot » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:22 pm

For a while the Maxalding Website was carrying the flame for the Maxalding system. Now it is this fine website that is carrying the Maxalding torch. Here:

https://davidgentle.com/maxald/index.html

Also the authors index has listings for Maxick, Alfred Monte Saldo, and Courtland Saldo, have lots of books and articles about Maxalding.

Juan Rojas' Books are the most in depth research on the subject of Maxalding:

https://web.archive.org/web/20061118002 ... -ebook.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20061128191 ... -table.pdf

And thanks to the Way Back Machine Internet Archives, most of the original Maxalding mail order course exercises, that were posted on the old Maxalding Website, are here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130507160 ... rcises.htm

That's all the information about Maxalding that you need, to get you started. Now you just have to do it!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:57 pm

HI NORMAN,I KNEW TALBOT WOULD COME THROUGH WITH THE INFORMATION. LIKE HE SAYS IT IS ALL THERE. MOST OF THE EXERCISES ARE PRETTY WELL DESCRIBED AND THE MORE YOU DO THEM THE MORE YOU UNDERSTAND THEM. IT REALLY IS A SYSTEM OF JUST DOING AND GAINING GRADUAL IMPROVEMENT IN THE CONTROLS. START WITH ANY OF THE BASIC PROGRAMS AND BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE FOUNDATION EXERCISES AND MOVE ON FROM THERE. GO EASY AT FIRST AND I AM SURE YOU WILL SEE STEADY IMPROVEMENT.AS TALBOT SAYS JUAN ROJAS' BOOKS ARE THE MOST IN DEPTH. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PRACTICE AND IF ANY QUESTIONS COME UP FEEL FREE TO ASK.
REGARDS, PETER.
Last edited by peter yates on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Yates

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:50 am

Let me add one more important point about Maxalding. The system requires that you contract the muscle completely, and it also requires that you relax the muscle completely! Unless you do both alternatively, and repeatedly, you won't get the results you desire. What this relax, contract, relax, contract does is move blood in and out of the muscle tissue, removing dead cells, and other waste materials, and brings in nutrients and hormones, to build strong muscles. This ebb and flood, tidal blood flow through your muscles is actually important to any type of muscle building and strength creating exercise system, and usually overlooked, much to the detriment in results. Maxalding is a different kind of strength and muscle building system, and it relies on the student doing this relax, contract routine correctly, more so than other systems do, for real results. And doing it repeatedly builds your Mind-Muscle Connection, that gives you the Muscle Control, that the Maxalding system was famous for. It can be done!

Norman

Post by Norman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:47 am

First of all, thanks to Diane, Peter and Talbot for such a warmhearted welcome! I joined the family and I´m ecxited to begin studying Maxalding... It may be interesting to share here the results I get!

I am 47 and 6 Years into Yoga and 3 years into serious physical training. Wanting to achieve prowess in kettlebell sports and injuring my right shoulder rotator cuff, I found myself searching for a Health-first fitness approach. So, the heavy kettlebelss had to be rejected. I found Isomterics and the Charles Atlas dynamic tension course. I found the splendid books of John E. Petersen.

Then I stumbled upon the ancient indian art of Dhandal and Basky, quoted in a book by Selvarajan Yesudian and Elisabeth Haich. Well... whats the real quality of the mind-body connection? Then I found the great Maxick, being a german like me... It was a long journey to the knowledge that a truely long termed and lasting system of physical development should no be based on tearing down and destroying the muscles. It must work with the accumulation and gradually building up the force while improving health. So here it is! The circle goes back to ancient systems like Yoga or Qi-Gong. But... how could Maxick or Monte Saldo be so strong?? Well, as I said before: I´m really excited!!
In deep appreciation, Norman

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:11 pm

^Hi Norman, welcome to the forum! I hope your new training goes well and you enjoy it! :)

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Welcome to HOPC Norman.

You ask how could Maxick and Monte Saldo be so strong? Maxalding not only grows bigger stronger muscles, but grows bigger stronger tendons and ligaments. Tendons and ligaments have very low blood flow, that makes it difficult for them to grow thicker, and it is the reason they take so long to heal when they are sprained or torn. With Maxalding you are relaxing, and contracting the muscles repeatedly, so you are pumping much more blood into the tendons and ligaments, than usually occurs. And, Maxalding does tear down, to build up muscle tissue, however it occurs as an autocrine/paracrine response, within the muscles, at a cellular level.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Norman wrote:First of all, thanks to Diane, Peter and Talbot for such a warmhearted welcome! I joined the family and I´m ecxited to begin studying Maxalding... It may be interesting to share here the results I get!

I am 47 and 6 Years into Yoga and 3 years into serious physical training. Wanting to achieve prowess in kettlebell sports and injuring my right shoulder rotator cuff, I found myself searching for a Health-first fitness approach. So, the heavy kettlebelss had to be rejected. I found Isomterics and the Charles Atlas dynamic tension course. I found the splendid books of John E. Petersen.

Then I stumbled upon the ancient indian art of Dhandal and Basky, quoted in a book by Selvarajan Yesudian and Elisabeth Haich. Well... whats the real quality of the mind-body connection? Then I found the great Maxick, being a german like me... It was a long journey to the knowledge that a truely long termed and lasting system of physical development should no be based on tearing down and destroying the muscles. It must work with the accumulation and gradually building up the force while improving health. So here it is! The circle goes back to ancient systems like Yoga or Qi-Gong. But... how could Maxick or Monte Saldo be so strong?? Well, as I said before: I´m really excited!!
HI NORMAN, I HAVE PRACTICED MARTIAL ARTS AND QI GONG FOR MANY YEARS AND ALSO YOGA QUITE EXTENSIVELY. GIL WALDRON AND I HAVE HAD MANY DISCUSSIONS ON THE SIMILARITIES IN THESE TRADITIONS AND WHAT DEVELOPED INTO MAXALDING. WE HAVE NO DOUBT THAT VARIOUS EASTERN HEALTH CULTIVATION PRACTICES WERE INCORPORATED INTO ITS DEVELOPMENT. WHILE THERE IS NOT MUCH DOCUMENTATION ON THE TRUE ORIGINS OF THE SALDO-MAXICK SYSTEM IT IS KNOWN THAT SEVERAL PRACTITIONERS OF VARIOUS EASTERN ARTS DID TRAIN AT MONTE SALDO'S GYM IN LONDON IN THE LATE 19TH TO EARLY 20TH CENTURIES. ONE PARTICULAR SET OF QI GONG KNOWN AS YI JIN JING OR SINEW GHANGING CLASSIC CONTAINS MANY OF THE SAME CONCEPTS ESPECIALLY THE ALTERNATE CONTRACTION AND RELAXATION OF THE MUSCLES BEING WORKED. OF COURSE THE MIND IS ALSO HEAVILY ENGAGED WHILE DOING THIS. IT IS ATTRIBUTED TO THE INDIAN MONK BODIDHARMA WHO WENT TO CHINA TO TEACH BUDDHISM AND IS REPUTED TO BE THE FOUNDER OF CHAN [ZEN] BUDDHISM. IF INDEED IT DOES ORIGINATE WITH HIM IT IS MOST LIKELY HE DERIVED IT FROM YOGA PRACTICE HE HAD LEARNED IN INDIA. ANOTHER INTERESTING POINT IS THAT THERE IS A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY THAT INDIAN MARTIAL AND HEALTH CULTIVATION PRACTICES WERE INFLUENCED AT ONE STAGE BY THE GREEKS. SO VERY MUCH A COMPLETE CIRCLE FROM EAST TO WEST WITH EACH CULTURE ADDING SOMETHING OF THEIR OWN. ANYWAY WHAT THEY DEVELOPED NO MATTER WHERE IT CAME FROM STOOD THE TEST OF TIME AND IS A WORTHWHILE SYSTEM OF PHYSICAL CULTURE.
REGARDS, PETER.
PS. BY THE WAY IF YOU GO TO THE STORE ON THIS SITE FOR A SMALL FEE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD ANY OF THE COURSES.
Peter Yates

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:42 pm

peter yates wrote:
Norman wrote:First of all, thanks to Diane, Peter and Talbot for such a warmhearted welcome! I joined the family and I´m ecxited to begin studying Maxalding... It may be interesting to share here the results I get!

HI NORMAN, I HAVE PRACTICED MARTIAL ARTS AND QI GONG FOR MANY YEARS AND ALSO YOGA QUITE EXTENSIVELY. GIL WALDRON AND I HAVE HAD MANY DISCUSSIONS ON THE SIMILARITIES IN THESE TRADITIONS AND WHAT DEVELOPED INTO MAXALDING. WE HAVE NO DOUBT THAT VARIOUS EASTERN HEALTH CULTIVATION PRACTICES WERE INCORPORATED INTO ITS DEVELOPMENT. WHILE THERE IS NOT MUCH DOCUMENTATION ON THE TRUE ORIGINS OF THE SALDO-MAXICK SYSTEM IT IS KNOWN THAT SEVERAL PRACTITIONERS OF VARIOUS EASTERN ARTS DID TRAIN AT MONTE SALDO'S GYM IN LONDON IN THE LATE 19TH TO EARLY 20TH CENTURIES. ONE PARTICULAR SET OF QI GONG KNOWN AS YI JIN JING OR SINEW GHANGING CLASSIC CONTAINS MANY OF THE SAME CONCEPTS ESPECIALLY THE ALTERNATE CONTRACTION AND RELAXATION OF THE MUSCLES BEING WORKED. OF COURSE THE MIND IS ALSO HEAVILY ENGAGED WHILE DOING THIS. IT IS ATTRIBUTED TO THE INDIAN MONK BODIDHARMA WHO WENT TO CHINA TO TEACH BUDDHISM AND IS REPUTED TO BE THE FOUNDER OF CHAN [ZEN] BUDDHISM. IF INDEED IT DOES ORIGINATE WITH HIM IT IS MOST LIKELY HE DERIVED IT FROM YOGA PRACTICE HE HAD LEARNED IN INDIA. ANOTHER INTERESTING POINT IS THAT THERE IS A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY THAT INDIAN MARTIAL AND HEALTH CULTIVATION PRACTICES WERE INFLUENCED AT ONE STAGE BY THE GREEKS. SO VERY MUCH A COMPLETE CIRCLE FROM EAST TO WEST WITH EACH CULTURE ADDING SOMETHING OF THEIR OWN. ANYWAY WHAT THEY DEVELOPED NO MATTER WHERE IT CAME FROM STOOD THE TEST OF TIME AND IS A WORTHWHILE SYSTEM OF PHYSICAL CULTURE.
REGARDS, PETER.
PS. BY THE WAY IF YOU GO TO THE STORE ON THIS SITE FOR A SMALL FEE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IN PDF FORMAT ANY OF THE COURSES THAT ARE AVAILABLE.
Peter Yates

Norman

Post by Norman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:18 am

Hello everybody! I hope you all are doing fine :)
I started Maxalding with Exercises A, B and C... In conjunction with the full tidal breath I hope to lay a good foundation for the other exercises. As to exercise A: first I found it challenging to expand my chest without flexing the abdominal wall. The feeling of relaxation in my belly after practicing is awesome...
Exercise B: I noticed that my right scapula is more loose than the left. After 2 weeks practice i see an improvement.
Exercise C: It works well.
Meanwhile I can isolate and control my pectoralis, biceps and triceps quite well in the shortest positions. In two weeks of practice I noticed changes in muscular definition. After practice I fell relaxed and energized, a little bit like Qi Gong! Awesome... I would love to spread Maxalding in Germany! Unfortunately I am infected with the Lyme disease so regaining health is my highest priority. Greetings to everybody!

Sincerely, Norman