Maxalding

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

peter yates

Re: Maxalding

Post by peter yates » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Talbot wrote:Maxalding should be taught to all those who are handicapped, by life or age, and can't "Pump Iron" or do "No Pain, No Gain" exercises. If only they knew that Maxalding exists!
Hi Talbot, i feel everyone can only benefit from the practice of MAXALDING. To me it has no downside only plus.For example it can
be taught before using weights to develop a clear mind-muscle link.
be used when equipment is not readily available.
be used when there are severe time constraints.
be used to rehab from injury or illness.
be used for older people with limitations.
be used with weights, cables or bodyweight calisthenics.
It seems MAXALDING is as much a system of healing as muscle developing and could be of benefit to anyone and deserves to be more widely known.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

Norman

Post by Norman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello Peter and Talbot,
I agree competely with you!

Maxaldist

Post by Maxaldist » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:08 am

Hello everyone! I'm a young Maxaldist and recently I discovered that Court Saldo would customize the systems based off of height, weight, and various other features unique to each individual. As a result no two Maxalding systems were the same. I have taken a keen interest in creating my own system however I do not know where to begin on what exercises to incorporate based off of my own features and I was hoping that perhaps someone from this forum could help me along my journey. All advice is welcome and wanted! Thank you so much!

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi Maxaldist,
well you have come to the right place for information, welcome to the forum.What is your previous background in Physical Culture? It would help to know what type of training you have already done.Maxalding and muscle control in general can be incorporated with any other type of training and most people have done this,although there have been 'purists' who have only trained muscle control to good results. While Maxalding was tailored to the individual both by Monte Saldo and son Court after him, there are certain standard exercises that everyone would do initially and periodically throughout their training. While there are much more gifted and experienced Maxaldists on this forum, i think i can safely advise to join the library and read all of the material contained, and become familiar with the main moves, practicing them until proficient. There are many step by step articles and programs in the library and most were written so that anyone could learn and benefit from the training on their own without a specialized course.[ By the way that was the difference between the Saldos and many others,they gave out a lot of free advise in magazines etc.] If you follow the instructions and develop good control you will see the changes happening, then you can make an assessment of your physique and its needs and choose exercises to specialize. Anyway whatever exercises you choose let us know and we can offer feed back as to the balance of the routine.Main points are, at first choose the main exercises that cover most of the body, do not choose too many and do not force the practice, Muscle control is more about coaxing than forcing, the ability to relax starts first with the mind. Also do not agonize too much over this, by steady application you will learn and master the controls and gain development as you do so.Your age, height, weight and other activity and also your location would help us guide you too.Good luck with the practice, welcome to the forum and know we are here to help you. Just do not get 'paralysis by analysis,' start and follow the general instruction and relax.Hope this helps.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Maxaldist

Post by Maxaldist » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:43 am

Thank you Peter! The help is very much appreciated. I am 16, 6’3 and weigh 180 pounds and I also live in the Pacific Northwest in the US. Plenty of fresh air! I’ve never really gone too far into any other physical culture, for the most part I’ve been doing body weight stuff (very basic) and some weight lifting but not enough to really bulk up or gain any size. It just wasn’t enjoyable but I can say that Maxalding is very very enjoyable and I know that it will be sustainable once I can formulate my own program. Thank you so much for your help it means the world to me!

Norman

Post by Norman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 pm

:) Hey Maxaldist, a warm hearted welcome to you and me again... I was offline two years, collecting experiences with many approaches...as Peter said, it is important to assess our current state of affairs to be able to recommend exercises...and of course your goals! What I found challenging was to change my views on training, strength and muscle. To begin with,I would start with A,B,C,and D. Better digestion, improving breath and scapular mobility is always important... I would also practice proper tidal breath as prescribed by Saldo. Yours sincerely,
Norman

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi Maxaldist,
thanks for supplying some details and also big thanks to Norman for contributing sound advise.Nice to see you back mate.One of the main aspects of Maxalding is to develop sound internal health and it is no surprise that the earlier controls are geared to improving digestive and respiratory efficiency. So yes in total agreement with Norman especially as you are only yet 16 and still laying down the internal and structural foundation from which to develop. There is still some possibility that you may grow even taller.In my opinion aiming eventually for a solid body weight of between 200-215lbs would be ideal. Although Maxalding has some very good and in some cases quite difficult body weight exercises, i would recommend also doing push ups, chins and pull ups and free squats or stair climbing in your training.While Muscle control can be done daily these could be incorporated 3-4 times per week depending on time available.As you may know many of the old time muscle control exponents were also skilled at hand-balancing and gymnastics so that type of exercise is very compatible. At 16 your best growth years are yet ahead so lay the foundation wisely with good health and do not be in a hurry, just enjoy your practice and see the improvements steadily over time. As long as you make sure to work all the muscles on a regular basis,maintaining overall balance, you will not go far wrong. Much of what you will be doing is experimenting and seeing the results to find what works best for you.Anyway some good reading awaits in the library and any questions that come up feel free to ask.It is refreshing to encounter a young man who is interested in true physical culture these days.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Internalfitness

Post by Internalfitness » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Good luck with it and keep us updated. I have my own copy of the Maxalding system made for a young man in the early 1960's, and there isn't THAT much difference between the outlined exercises and the examples you will find in the library to be honest.

I have always found it easier to strain a muscle by pitting muscle on muscle and muscle control rather than using weights, so don't try and give it the 100% we all (well me anyway) try at the beginning. I tend to work out to about a 60-70% effort when doing this kind of exercise. As Peter says - slow and steady.

Above all, enjoy it.

Richie.

Maxaldist

Post by Maxaldist » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:48 am

Hello Peter and Norman! I'm glad to have received so much support in regards to Maxalding. I have compiled together all of the exercises that I saw all of the Maxalding Systems, Muscle Control book by Maxick, the Maxalding book, and the Why and How of Muscle Control by Court Saldo. I only chose exercises that I saw in all of those consistently and I must say it is a good selection! I am very excited to begin this journey into Muscle Control! However I was thinking that instead of doing bodyweight exercises such as pushups and other exercises I would do the Alexander Zass chain training. He essentially shows you different positions and ways of pulling on the chain hoping to break it in half, this is a perfect way of doing overcoming isometrics and a wonderful way to build up even more strength than that I would be gaining from just muscle control. I'm curious to hear your thoughts!

- Yours Truly, Maxaldist

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Maxaldist,
good thinking to pick those exercises that are consistent in the books and courses,they are the ones that are what could be called the 'essentials.'This a good starting point and should allow you to grow into the system smoothly. As time goes on certain exercises can be changed as and when needed.Now while i feel isometrics have their place and the Zass method is well worth exploring, it may be better to hold off on that for now and concentrate on the muscle control. So my recommendation would be muscle control plus the body weight calisthenics i mentioned earlier. Then if you want to down the road try your hand at the Zass system. Remember the idea of coaxing the body, this also implies not doing too many things at once but choosing something and really getting as much out of it as possible and then trying something else.This ensures you can really put maximum attention on what you are doing. Also it is a way to see what is really providing the best results. Step by step, the tortoise wins the race.Now put your mind at rest and start the program.Also of course make sure your diet is rich in nutritious food and of sufficient quality and quantity.At your age you can usually assimilate and digest most anything you ingest,but best to start the habit of eating for health early. Enough quality sleep and rest periods are also important and to be well rounded paying attention to studies or occupational vocation. Being strong,healthy and well built are only one part of life and the bills have to be paid,so finding a career that will be satisfying is also important for your overall well being.Good luck.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates