Maxalding

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

Norman

Re: Maxalding

Post by Norman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Hey Peter, nice to read from you again!
Hey Maxalding,
It´s absolutely great to be keen to explore Zass and isometrics. Isometrics yield great strength and bulletproof sinews...
Just consider a few thoughts from me, just a recommendation, don´t feel forced in any direction... I would strongly recommend the advice from Peter here.
Why? Muscles have one final purpose: Movement. By combining Maxalding exercises with basic calisthenics like Pushups and pullups and squats you can profit a lot from both approaches. You could even mix in some weights like Deadlifts and OverHead Press with light weights. The most important thing is to not concentrate on the weight itself but on your own body, with laser-like focus on feeling the working of your muscles.
I would even suggest that in addition to the training you could perhaps add a movement training inspired in the style of Ido Portal. There is a great ressource I know since three years, a young man from Finland who teaches the approach from the great masters of the past in combination with movement and athleticism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ALwqzrStVA

Feel free to ask anything, we are here to support and help you,
sincerely,
Norman

Talbot

Post by Talbot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:10 am

@Maxaldist: It is better to do a few things very well, instead of a whole bunch of things poorly. Stick to the Maxalding course until you get excellent at it, THEN add other things. You're young. Time is on your side. Life is a journey, not a race.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi Talbot, good to hear from you again.I knew you could be relied upon to provide some words of wisdom and guidance. Yes the young man has his whole life ahead of him, no need to be rushing anywhere. I trust all is well with you.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Norman

Post by Norman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:40 am

Hi Talbot,
nice to see you again!
You´re right, of course

Norman

Maxaldist

Post by Maxaldist » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:16 am

Hello everyone! I'd like to thank you all for the outstanding support I have received, it's really amazing especially considering the fact I never thought I'd find a community that was as passionate about physical culture and Maxalding as this one is.
I recently created a list of all the common Maxalding exercises and have created a simple body weight routine to go along with it. I've designed both the Maxalding course and the body weight routine so that the muscles worked throughout the workout are always somewhat near to the previously worked muscles in order to allow the blood to flow easily from one muscle group to another. I am not entirely sure if this is the best idea or if I should contract muscles that are far away from one another in order to stimulate blood flow more and move it throughout the body more. If anyone has any input into this I would very much appreciate any guidance. In addition I was curious as to whether or not I should do muscle control before the workout, after the workout, or both. I know that before the workout my body has a harder time with getting my blood to flow to each muscle group for the first couple of exercises making those (seemingly) not effective, however it does do a good job of warming up my body for the workout. I've noticed that when I do my muscle control after a workout it is slightly easier and I can feel the blood moving throughout my body much easier and with less resistance knowing that my muscles have been warmed up and already had blood moving in and out of them previously making it easier to do again. Combining both muscle control pre workout and post workout would give me the best of both worlds and it would make it so I'm training twice as much which would be good considering how much I love muscle control, however I am curious to hear what everyone here has to say and any possible advice that you may have.
Also I was curious if anyone wanted me to post what the body weight workout and muscle control routine that I'm using is. If anyone is curious I would be more than glad to post those things and possibly help anyone delving into this subject in the future.

Yours Truly, Maxaldist

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Hello Maxaldist AKA Nicholas,
well it is good to know you are being proactive regarding your training. At the end of the day you will be the one to decide what works best based on feel and results,and do not be afraid to get it wrong sometimes as this is how we learn what works best for us. Much of training especially the early days is experimentation and that will continue in some form or other throughout your life as adjustments need to be made for other aspects of life etc. One thing for sure is you are building a good foundation with muscle control and calisthenics. These can be done your entire life keeping you strong and healthy well into your later years and are in fact what some of our older members primarily do. If down the road you want to include some weights or expander training the foundation you are building will stand you in good stead. Now there will probably be different views on this but i prefer to work in a similar manner to what you have set up.That is working through muscle groups that are near each other.I also like to work top to bottom. Now while muscle control can be done everyday, it may not be such a good idea to do the calisthenics every day especially if you are increasing the difficulty. As you are breaking muscle tissue down you will need recovery time in between. So my opinion would be doing those every other day or 4 times in a week. You need to experiment with what feels best as to before or after your controls.Another option is to do them at different times of day if that suits your schedule. Just keep in mind that your training should bring results so needs to be geared to obtaining results,doing more does not always accomplish this. Yes post your program and periodically the results you are getting. Good luck.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Like everything else, i am sure i have spoken of this before, ie. my experiences with maxalding. Way back in the dark ages, i was young and silly and like a lot of others so keen that we bought every possible weight training muscle mag available, including a lot of imports,(via John Valentine, including Iron Man) both york and weider . Weider used to bring out some great mags, lots of good covers and art work, with some top writers, but in his enthusiasm, he also made sure every issue of muscle power, or your physique, carried a new, just invented training system, in turn we were all "guinea pigs" his words and used to try out each and every new system, that is change of system and schedule every month. result, absolutely shattered, totally over trained and living on my nerves so much i enventually became ill.(had lung cancer and lost a quarter of my lungs hence cant blow up a kids balloon) So i quit the weights and discovered maxalding,, as advertised in every issue of health and strength. i got to know court saldo and discover that it was genuinely personal, not a sterotyped system one for all and all for one, but made out to suit individual needs. sure there were basic exercises for every pupil, eg squats or press ups, but its not all easy.have you tried single leg free squats, or ditto single arm press ups, or press ups in the hand balancing position, plus some of the controls were hard to get the hang of, but it worked, i kept it going for 18 months and won a genuine silver medal for my efforts and also as said earlier got to become friends with court saldo and he was a true gentleman. (ask Ron Tyrell, who knew the family even better)Eventually when my nervous energy returned and along the way i developed more muscle , strength and a whole lot more vital energy, i did return to weights,s this time with don dorans, again a genuine personal trainer. so do i recommend maxalding? you bet i do, it can be practised anywhere and anytime what more can you ask for a muscle system, and yes i still have the original exercise sheets, and instructions which i would nt sell for a shed load of dollars. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Maxaldist

Post by Maxaldist » Tue May 28, 2019 6:28 am

Hello everyone! Just thought I would give you an update on how my Maxalding practice has been so far. I ended up switching from a combination of all the shared exercises in all the programs to the 1969 Maxalding program found on this page. I was able to find that there were many similarities between me and the pupil for which the course was assigned, for example we were both of above average height and our age's are in roughly the same group. Since starting this program I was able to stick to it much better because the exercises were changing and I've found genuine results in not only physique but also strength. I don't recall mentioning this in previous posts but I just began a new job as a dishwasher in a kitchen, in this job I've found that some heavy lifting is required and where others fail I have been able to succeed all thanks to Maxalding and this wonderful forum. However recently I've found that I don't feel as if I'm doing enough to work out and I was trying to find a strongman that also valued the conservation of energy like Maxick, Court, and Monte Saldo did in order for me to start following a program of theirs as well. I would really love to know what your thoughts on this are, whether or not I should keep doing what I'm doing and push through the plateau or if I should try something new and if so who I should study.

I also wanted to write to all of you to let you know I found a living relative of Monte Saldo! I was able to track them down completely by accident through Instagram and get in contact with them. We were able to discuss about the Saldo's and muscle control all together. At the end of our conversation he sent me a pdf of an article written about Monte Saldo written in 1992 and told me that I had piqued his interest in muscle control once more and that he may delve back into the wonderful community of Maxaldists. I feel so honored to be able to contact a living relative of one of the greatest strongmen in history (of course all in my personal opinion).

My best regards
-Maxaldist

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi Nicholas, thanks for the update and glad you have found a compatible routine to follow. Now as for trying other things go back and read Talbot's post,it says it all. You have so much time ahead of you, no need to rush, especially as you have found this program. Stay on course, too many trainees swicth from one thing to the other and never make much headway. David has mentioned about getting the muscle mags with their champ's routine of the month and how young lads would be jumping from routine to routine without ever really mastering the basics. As Talbot said, master the Maxalding and then whatever you decode to do will have a very good base to proceed from. That and the body weight calisthenics are the real basics in my view,laying a foundation.Make the foundation strong and you can build how you want from there.Down the road a piece you can include expanders, weights or whatever you choose. Most of the early pioneers knew how to harness as well as use energy wisely so reading the various courses on the site will give you some idea of what was consistent in their training. However having a good base and knowing your own body will aid you in picking the best methods for you.Good luck with your progress.
How wonderful you have connected with a relative of Monte Saldo.Please introduce him to the forum and HOPC library. I am sending you a PM so please check your mail.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

Maxaldist

Post by Maxaldist » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:22 am

Hello everyone! Sorry for the hiatus I had quite a few personal issues I had to sort out, but now I am back and thankfully I haven't lost much muscle mass. It's as they say, the stronger the foundation the longer lasting the muscle. But anyways I come, yet again, with more questions. My main concern is that of holding each contraction as a static hold or if there should be a sort of pulsing effect where I hold the contraction for a few seconds and release only to repeat several more times? I have my own personalized routine created after countless hours scouring the web to find everything I could about how Mr Court Saldo designed his systems and now I have a morning routine, evening exercises and exercises I perform throughout the day. I also picked up cable training and ordered a vintage Reg Park chest expander and I've been following his routine and reading up as much as I can in the cable training section of this website. It feels revitalizing and wonderful at the end of every workout, it's like my first time doing a Maxalding session every time I train with cables.

If someone could help me with my questions on contraction I would greatly appreciate that, and if anyone has any input or advice on cable training I would love to hear!

-Yours truly, Maxaldist