Irish Physical Culture?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: peter yates, drob357

ConorHeffernan

Irish Physical Culture?

Post by ConorHeffernan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:17 am

Hey Folks,

I am currently doing a PhD on the physical culture movement in Ireland from 1890 to 1939 and am wondering if anyone knew of any Irish publications relating to physical culture?

Most of the books/magazines/courses seem to have been foreign imports from the UK and USA but I'm hoping for some 'home grown works too'.

To date I've come across 'The Athletes' Guide' a book published in 1908 by Irish physical culturist G.S. Greene (I can upload it if people are interested). Similarly the Irish Times ran a physical culture column from 1890 to 1914. Does anyone have any ideas about were to look?

Best wishes,

Conor

Harry Hayfield

Re: Irish Physical Culture?

Post by Harry Hayfield » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 am

That sounds like a very in-depth PhD study I must say. Presumably you are aware that from 1921, the island of Ireland was split into Northern Ireland (which came under the rule of the United Kingdom) and the Irish Republic (that became independent) and so therefore might I suggest that you also research the Belfast Telegraph to see if they followed the Irish Times' lead.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Connor,
nice to hear from you again, it has been a while. I wish i could help but Colin who lives in N.Ireland may have some leads for you.Also you might try David Webster if you have not already done so.Please do upload the book by G.S.Greene, it will be much appreciated.Good luck with your quest and please keep us posted.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

ConorHeffernan

Post by ConorHeffernan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 am

Hey folks,

Thanks so much for the replies thus far, have gotten in contact with David Webster who generously gave his time. Am similarly plundering his works for leads!

At the moment I'm hoping to look at both Northern and Southern Ireland so anything at all is appreciated.

Finally on the point of uploading the GS Greene work, the webpage tells me I can't upload books in PDF format. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get around this?

Conor

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Conner, you could contact Diane directly and she will be able to guide you i am sure.By the way two men who i am sure will be included in your research are Robert[buster]McShane and Ivan Dunbar, two men who played a big role in the spread of PC in N.Ireland as well as overseas.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates

ConorHeffernan

Post by ConorHeffernan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 am

Brilliant thanks Peter, will definitely check out those two names. Have contacted Diane now so the work should be up soon enough!

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Conor, sorry i only just noticed this. I live in Northern Ireland and used to have an online blog of Irish Weightlifting History. But i didn't go back to the period you mention. I think i covered from 1950s onward.The magazines​ that had columns on Irish Lifting were from various British magazines. I'm not aware of any Irish magazines, but the IAWLA could well have made some. The best persons to speak with are Frank Rothwell, whom if you send me a pm i can try to put you in touch, and Tommy Hayden(Dublin), assuming he is still alive. Also try Eric Dowey (Bangor). It's a shame Ivan Dunbar is no longer with us and of course Buster McShane died tragically. His nephew, John McShane, was a fine bodybuilder who i knew from Newtownards, but i have lost touch and think he gave it up.
Any questions feel free to ask and best wishes with your fascinating PHD!
Thanks
Colin
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

ConorHeffernan

Re: Irish Physical Culture

Post by ConorHeffernan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 am

Hi Colin,

How're you getting on? Apologies for my late reply, I hadn't realised anyone else posted.

Fascinating. How long did you run the blog for? Would be interested in seeing more on that as the 1950s onwards is when it really seemed to kick into gear. Will be sure to check out the IAWLA.

Is that Tommy Hayden from Hercules? I used to be a member there and seem to recall the name being held in very high regards by everyone there. Not sure if he's still there.

Thanks so much for your well wishes and I'll be sure to PM right away

Conor