Indian Clubs?

Post questions concerning the History of Physical Culture and we will try our best to answer them for you.

Moderators: peter yates, drob357

ConorHeffernan

Indian Clubs?

Post by ConorHeffernan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 am

Hi David,

I hope this message finds you well.

My name is Conor Heffernan and I am a postgrad student planning to study Indian Clubs in Victorian England as part of a research masters.

I've gone through the obvious primary sources (Walker, Kehoe etc.) and have gone through the Stark Centre's works on the topic (it was Jan Todd who passed on your details on to me).

I'm in the process of trying to find sources relating solely to England and am wondering if you had any suggestions of museums, journals, newspapers that may be of interest?

Many thanks,

Conor

David Gentle

Re: Indian Clubs?

Post by David Gentle » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:48 am

Hello Conor, re the clubs, David Webster who works with Jan Todd, was an actual champion at club swinging and must have mentioned it in his History of the Iron game books ,the first book i ever saw on the subject and still have, but where? was called Club Swinging by Tom Burrows, i will try to find it out for y ou, I am also looking at another old book Gymnastics by Jenkins which advertises a book on club swinging circa 1890. I think it originated from India where they used quite heavy clubs, then came over to uk circa the 1890s and were made of wood and of course various exercises and stunts were devised, quite exhausting workouts could be had from their use. give me time to try and find the original book. I have pictures in my head of guys using the clubs. p.s. i still see them at old junk shops, ie. the ones made of wood. nice to have if you want to chase a burgler. David.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Re: Indian Clubs?update

Post by David Gentle » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:14 am

Hi Connor, after some searching, found best sourse.Its written by W.A.Pullum in Dec 27, 1951 issue of Health and Strength. in article Random Recollections. title. "107 hours cllub swinging." Pullum says "Common belief has it that club swinging was put on the map by famous Tom Burrows. but 40 years before Burrows a man from Australia came a certain Mr Harrison practising with a big pair of clubs, this appeared in the Illustrated London News date Aug 14th 1852." it would be possible to trace this i am sure. Burrows indian club exercises were taken up by the British army in 1894. A man called gunner George Vyner who was serving in India also did some amazing feats with clubs, his photo and story appears in H&S sept 24th 1921. You can see copies of early H&S mags in the British library Vyner swung clubs for 83plus hours back in 1912. I suggest you try to see the early copies of the magazines quoted. no luck in finding the Burrows book, but Pullums article updates that in any case, hope this helps. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:11 am

HI CONOR,
WELL I AM SORRY I CANNOT PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION ON THE HISTORY OF INDIAN CLUBS IN ENGLAND APART FROM WHAT IS COMMONLY KNOWN BUT JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH USING THEM. NOT SURE HOW MANY MEMBERS HAVE ACTUALLY TRAINED WITH THEM BUT I FIRST ENCOUNTERED THEM AS A BOY IN BOXING TRAINING. THESE ALONG WITH WALL PULLEYS AND MEDICINE BALLS WERE THE MAIN EQUIPMENT FOR BUILDING STRENGTH, FLEXIBILITY AND CONDITIONING. AT THE TIME I JUST DID THEM BUT YEARS LATER IN THE 1990s I STARTED USING THEM AGAIN AND FOUND THAT THEY ARE EXCELLENT IN KEEPING THE SHOULDERS FLEXIBLE, MOBILE AND IN GOOD ORDER. I STOPPED USING THEM FOR A WHILE BUT WHILE RECOVERING FROM SHOULDER INJURY A FEW YEARS AGO I STARTED SWINGING AGAIN AND REALLY CREDIT THEIR USE WITH COMPLETE RECOVERY OF MY INJURIES. I FEEL ANY SPORTS PERSON WOULD BENEFIT FROM A FEW MINUTES OF CLUB SWINGING A DAY AND AM GLAD TO SEE THEY ARE MAKING A COME BACK ESPECIALLY WITH MARTIAL ARTS PRACTITIONERS.OH AND AS DAVID MENTIONED THEY DO MAKE A HANDY WEAPON. GOOD LUCK WITH THE RESEARCH AND PERHAPS YOU COULD WRITE SOME OF YOUR FINDINGS FOR US AT SOME STAGE.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:45 pm

David mentioned Tom Burrows. He wrote two books on club swinging; "The Text-Book of Club-Swinging" and "Club Swinging as Applied to Health, Development, Training & Display". I'm not sure which book was published first and I don't know much at all about "Club Swinging as Applied to Health, Development, Training & Display", but you can view a PDF of "The Text-Book of Club-Swinging" online for free at this link: http://www.nycsteampunk.com/bartitsu/ma ... ng1900.pdf

The PDF is of the 6th edition of "The Text-Book of Club-Swinging". I don't know what differences there may be between the various editions of the book, but I hope that helps you out Conor.

ConorHeffernan

Post by ConorHeffernan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:26 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your informative replies.

I wasn't aware the British library had old H & S magazines. I will be scouring through their archives now in the coming weeks. Aside from researching, I always enjoy reading what trainers from the early 1900s had to say.

The links and sources provided were previously unknown to me and I'm beyond grateful to have more sources on the matter. Regarding the Clubs introduction into England, it seems they emerged some time in the middle of the 1800s, with Donald Walker making reference to them in the 1835 when designing a workout plan for English women. Am sure there's even more to the history which, fingers crossed will unfold over time!

I'll be sure to update you all with how the research goes. Have gotten a bug for Indian Clubs now so will be purchasing a pair in the near future to add to my training regime!

Many thanks!

Conor

David Gentle

Re: Jimmy Stevens.

Post by David Gentle » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:22 am

Hi Kids, can any of this most knowledgable gang let me know urgently the whereabouts or any info about former junion Mr Britain circa the 1950 name of Jimmmy Stevens? news is urgently required for my home magazine Health and Strength. any clues will help.I have old mags with him in, but nothing recent.thanks in anticipation, David Gentle now going to have a kip in the garden before the wife gets home.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:03 pm

ConorHeffernan wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your informative replies.

I wasn't aware the British library had old H & S magazines. I will be scouring through their archives now in the coming weeks. Aside from researching, I always enjoy reading what trainers from the early 1900s had to say.

The links and sources provided were previously unknown to me and I'm beyond grateful to have more sources on the matter. Regarding the Clubs introduction into England, it seems they emerged some time in the middle of the 1800s, with Donald Walker making reference to them in the 1835 when designing a workout plan for English women. Am sure there's even more to the history which, fingers crossed will unfold over time!

I'll be sure to update you all with how the research goes. Have gotten a bug for Indian Clubs now so will be purchasing a pair in the near future to add to my training regime!

Many thanks!

Conor
Great! I look forward to your update, Conor. Take care.