Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuilders

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: drob357, David Gentle

peter yates

Re: Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuild

Post by peter yates » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 am

I DO AGREE THAT BOTH REEVES AND PARK WERE GREAT AS HERCULES AND YES REEVES REALLY DID PAVE THE WAY FOR ALL THE OTHERS. HOWEVER DUE TO BEING THE FIRST HE WAS NOT ABLE TO PLAY THE ROLES AT HIS BEST WEIGHT WHEREAS PARK WAS ABLE TO. STILL EVEN AT A LIGHTER WEIGHT REEVES ALWAYS LOOKED GOOD. AS AN ASIDE PROBABLY DUE TO EXCELLENT SHAPE AND SYMMETRY MANY DO NOT REALISE JUST HOW MASSIVE REEVES WAS AT HIS TOP WEIGHT OF AROUNE 215LB. JUST A LOOK AT THE PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN WITH REG PARK AT THE 1950 UNIVERSE AND IT IS OBVIOUS. SOME OF THE OTHER MUSCLE ACTORS I SAW AS A KID WHO FOLLOWED REEVES WERE,BRAD HARRIS, MARK FOREST [LOU DEGNI,] GORDON SCOTT, PAUL WYNTER AND REG LEWIS AND WHILE THE PLOTS AND ACTING LEFT MUCH TO BE DESIRED TO A SKINNY IMPRESSIONABLE KID THEY WERE ALL MARVELLOUS AND INSPIRING.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Here's legendary French strongman Apollon (Louis Uni) acting in the prologue of the 1926 Rex Ingram film Mare Nostrum, where he plays The Triton, uncle of the movie's main character Ulysses Ferragut. Apollon filmed this just a couple of years before his passing at the age of 66 in 1928, and even then he was still a huge, powerful man and still exhibiting his strength in travelling shows. I've seen the entire movie, it's very good and worth checking out if you ever happen to see that it's on television.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g498uqE_R50[/video]

Gerard Matthews

Post by Gerard Matthews » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:07 pm

The video of Steve Reeves posing impressed me a lot. Up til now I had not actually seen any video footage of Reeves onstage, only photographs and Hercules movies.
Another great example of a physique that is drug free and timeless. May not win Mr Olympia but would get the popular vote no doubt.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 am

Gerard Matthews wrote:The video of Steve Reeves posing impressed me a lot. Up til now I had not actually seen any video footage of Reeves onstage, only photographs and Hercules movies.
Another great example of a physique that is drug free and timeless. May not win Mr Olympia but would get the popular vote no doubt.
Well put, Gerard! I completely agree with you.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:00 am

In relation to the aforementioned Apollon, here's a video of the great multi-time Olympic gold medalist and World Champion weightlifter John Davis cleaning & jerking the original Apollon Wheels:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KkZfRCuPs[/video]

The Apollon Wheels are named as such because they were made famous by Apollon, who used them in his strongman stage shows. They're an old set of railroad car wheels connected by an axle which altogether weigh 366lbs and are solid with no moving parts, nothing that rotates/revolvesturns whatsoever. The wheels have a diameter of 26in & are 4in wide and the axle is 1.93in in diameter. The Apollon Wheels currently reside at the Musee National du Sport in Paris, France. Even though replica Apollon Wheels (aka Apollon's Axle) are regularly used in strongman competitions today, John Davis is one of only three men to have cleaned & jerked the original besides Apollon (though there's no evidence that he ever cleaned, jerked or pressed them himself).

John Davis cleaned & jerked the Apollon Wheels on September 13th, 1949 and got it done on his 4th attempt. As you can see in the video, he had to use an overhand-underhand grip to clean it, and it looks like the lift left him lightheaded. Besides Davis, the other two to have cleaned & jerked the Apollon Wheels were also Olympic gold medalist weightlifters, Charles Rigoulot and Norbert Schemansky. Rigoulot had cleaned & jerked the Apollon Wheels nearly 20 years before Davis, back on March 3rd, 1930, though it's said to be after having had much secret practice (& failure) in order to prepare himself before doing it in front of the French public. Then Schemansky cleaned & jerked the Apollon Wheels on October 17th, 1954, and his was the most impressive of the three men as after getting the Apollon Wheels to his chest he was able to jerk them 3 times. I've also read that fellow Olympic gold medalist Tommy Kono jerked the original Apollon Wheels too, though it was only after they were placed on his shoulders because he said knew he couldn't clean them, but he thought he could jerk them (and apparently did).

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Here's a short video of weightlifting footage from the 1896 Olympic Games.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quCLHrJWSww[/video]

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 am

Hi Danny and gang, those videos certainly enhance the site a thousand percent, my missus says i am getting an egoist, but so much stuff i havent seen and its better than sitting watching endless d.i.y programss or selling houses. i am having fun thank a million for making the effort. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:48 am

David Gentle wrote:Hi Danny and gang, those videos certainly enhance the site a thousand percent, my missus says i am getting an egoist, but so much stuff i havent seen and its better than sitting watching endless d.i.y programss or selling houses. i am having fun thank a million for making the effort. David Gentle
I agree, as much as I like watching news programmes and archive general elections on BBC Parliament, it would be so nice if there was a channel that showed archive bodybuilding competitions, documentaries about famous bodybuilders and things like that.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 am

David Gentle wrote:Hi Danny and gang, those videos certainly enhance the site a thousand percent, my missus says i am getting an egoist, but so much stuff i havent seen and its better than sitting watching endless d.i.y programss or selling houses. i am having fun thank a million for making the effort. David Gentle
Thanks David, I'm glad that I'm able to add something to this wonderful website! :D

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am

Some more old Olympic weightlifting footage, this time from the 1920 games in Antwerp. You can actually tell who the lifter is in this video; Ernest Cadine of France, who won the gold medal in the light heavyweight division.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmn1Wf5QQU4[/video]

I love those old shot-loaded globe barbells.