Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuilders

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

peter yates

Re: Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuild

Post by peter yates » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:07 pm

HI DANNY,
I TOO LOVE THE OLD GLOBE BELLS AND THE FIRST CLUB I EVER TRAINED IN HAD SOME PLUS QUITE I FEW OF THE ROUND TYPE FIXED DUMBBELLS. WISH I STILL HAD SOME. NOW AND AGAIN I HEAR OF PEOPLE FINDING THEM IN THE BACK OF OLD BARNS AND SUCH. ANYWAY WANT TO ADD MY THANKS FOR THE OLD FILMS COULD WATCH THEM ALL DAY.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:50 pm

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
I TOO LOVE THE OLD GLOBE BELLS AND THE FIRST CLUB I EVER TRAINED IN HAD SOME PLUS QUITE I FEW OF THE ROUND TYPE FIXED DUMBBELLS. WISH I STILL HAD SOME. NOW AND AGAIN I HEAR OF PEOPLE FINDING THEM IN THE BACK OF OLD BARNS AND SUCH. ANYWAY WANT TO ADD MY THANKS FOR THE OLD FILMS COULD WATCH THEM ALL DAY.
REGARDS, PETER.
You're welcome, Peter. :)

I'd love to get myself a shot-loadable barbell & dumbbell, but trying to find vintage ones would probably be extremely difficult and they'd be super expensive to buy I'm sure. I have found three places online that make & sell shot-loadable barbells & dumbbells though:

http://atomicathletic.com/store/index.p ... bells.html
http://atomicathletic.com/store/index.p ... edium.html

http://www.artofstrength.com/products/1 ... rbell.html
http://www.artofstrength.com/products/7 ... bbell.html

http://www.kdafitness.com/2013/01/vinta ... e-150.html
http://www.kdafitness.com/2013/01/vinta ... 15000.html

Still expensive and that's not including whatever shipping would cost (which I'm sure is pricey), but maybe one day I can buy a shot-loadable barbell & dumbbell from one of those companies. Atomic Athletic also makes a shot-loadable kettlebell (http://atomicathletic.com/store/index.p ... edium.html).

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:24 pm

OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS I HAVE CHECKED OUT THE VARIOUS COMPANIES SELLING GLOBE TYPE BARBELLS AND DUMBBELLS AND ALSO PEOPLE WHO WERE SELLING REAL VINTAGE ONES. THE PRICE HAS ALWAYS BEEN WAY OUT OF MY RANGE. I ACTUALLY MADE MYSELF A BARBELL BY MAKING TWO CONCRETE SPHERES REINFORCED WITH SCRAP IRON AND ATTACHING THEM TO AN OLD BAR THEN PAINTING THEM BLACK. JUST DID IT AS A PROJECT BUT IT TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD. ONLY WEIGHS 100LB THOUGH BUT IS GOOD FOR REPETITION CLEAN AND PRESS AND CURL WARMUPS. JUST NICE TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT AT LEAST LOOKS LIKE THE REAL THING.WHEN I LIVED IN JAPAN I WAS ABLE TO GET A LOT OF OLD STYLE DUMBBELLS AND OTHER GEAR FOR FREE FROM A YMCA THAT WAS REDESIGNING THEIR GYM. AT ONE TIME THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A LOT GOOD STUFF JUST THROWN AWAY FOR SCRAP WHEN YMCA AND COLLEGE GYMS WENT MODERN.ANYWAY I ALWAYS ENJOY LOOKING AT PHOTOGRAPHS AND FILMS OF THEM BEING USED.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:15 am

peter yates wrote:OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS I HAVE CHECKED OUT THE VARIOUS COMPANIES SELLING GLOBE TYPE BARBELLS AND DUMBBELLS AND ALSO PEOPLE WHO WERE SELLING REAL VINTAGE ONES. THE PRICE HAS ALWAYS BEEN WAY OUT OF MY RANGE. I ACTUALLY MADE MYSELF A BARBELL BY MAKING TWO CONCRETE SPHERES REINFORCED WITH SCRAP IRON AND ATTACHING THEM TO AN OLD BAR THEN PAINTING THEM BLACK. JUST DID IT AS A PROJECT BUT IT TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD. ONLY WEIGHS 100LB THOUGH BUT IS GOOD FOR REPETITION CLEAN AND PRESS AND CURL WARMUPS. JUST NICE TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT AT LEAST LOOKS LIKE THE REAL THING.WHEN I LIVED IN JAPAN I WAS ABLE TO GET A LOT OF OLD STYLE DUMBBELLS AND OTHER GEAR FOR FREE FROM A YMCA THAT WAS REDESIGNING THEIR GYM. AT ONE TIME THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A LOT GOOD STUFF JUST THROWN AWAY FOR SCRAP WHEN YMCA AND COLLEGE GYMS WENT MODERN.ANYWAY I ALWAYS ENJOY LOOKING AT PHOTOGRAPHS AND FILMS OF THEM BEING USED.
REGARDS, PETER.
Yeah, new or vintage, I guess it'll take a bit of saving for most people to be able to buy a shot-loadable barbell or dumbbell. And I imagine you're right, there probably was a lot of vintage weights and strength equipment & such that got scrapped when gyms started upgrading & going modern, which is a real shame.

Anyway, I have to say that it was really ingenious of you Peter to make your own barbell with concrete spheres! So how did you make the concrete spheres? Did you use Atlas Stone molds?

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:43 pm

JUst a thought, recently i was unsure of the whereabouts of Kendo Nagaski, not knowing of his web site which you informed me of and thanks,well, i am pleased to let you know that he will be attending the British Annual Wrestlers Reunion this year in full mask etc as a special guest at the Bridges Public House, South Darenth Kent on the ist Sunday of August this year, so its your chance tosee a legend. whatch out as about 350 old time wrestlers attend, its not really a public function, although all welcome as long as you buy a pint in Bill Bridges pub, also see Sarah, female muscle champ, widest shoulders in the female business . but hurry as each year we lose more and more of the old TV World of sport old timers, like last year it was old Mick Mc Manus. go also to the britishannualwrestlersreunion.com site for current news, watch out tho because i am on it under articles etc having been to over 20 plus years of reunions. David Gentle..Frank Rimers is the mc and organiser great guy
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Regarding the old solid dumbells, i just love them. (I too made mine out of concrete, but found some at car boot sales.)((You cast them in two halves and join them while damp with iron bars. Use the wifes bras.)The best set i have seen are in Diane Bennetts Fitness First(or First Fitness, i always get it wrong) lines and lines of them. I remember they used to do a system called "Railroads" where you began with the lightest pair of solid dumbells, say 5lbs, did ten reps, immediately went to the next set,. more reps, and worked your way right up to the heaviest dumbells in the rack, them back again, ....called railroads. a real arm killer. I can go back to the days when Arnold S first trained at Wags and then Dianes gym, there are still weights he used there. ]but please dont visit without prior appointment as Di is a very busy lady and travels a lot, but its a sight to see. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:15 pm

BEEN BUSY LATELY SO JUST CHECKED THE SITE. SO DANNY I ACTUALLY FOUND A PAIR OF LARGE PLASTIC CONTAINERS OPEN AT ONE END WITH FLAT BOTTOMS AND ROUND IN SHAPE SORT OF LIKE LARGE FISH BOWLS. I MADE A HOLE IN THE FLAT END AND PLACED A PIECE OF PVC PIPE IN THE CENTER OF THE GLOBE TO PUSH THE BAR THROUGH. AROUND THE PIPE I PUT CHICKEN WIRE IN LAYERS EVERY FEW INCHES ON WHICH I PUT SHORT IRON BARS FOR EXTRA WEIGHT AND REINFORCEMENT AND CONCRETE ON TOP OF THE WIRE. WHEN DRY I PUSHED THE BAR THROUGH WITH INSIDE COLLARS IN PLACE. I LEFT AN EXTRA 6 INCHES AT EACH END TO ADD EXTRA PLATES. I DID NOT REMOVE THE CONTAINERS JUST PAINTED THEM WITH BLACK PLASTIC PAINT.WHILE NOT THE REAL THING THEY LOOK THE PART AND IT IS FUN DOING SOME EXERCISES WITH THEM. THE STRONGMAN STONE MOLDS WOULD WORK JUST AS WELL BUT THE COST FOR THE ONES I MADE WERE MINIMAL AS I HAD MOST OF THE STUFF LYING AROUND. I KNOW A COUPLE OF PEOPLE WHO GOT SOME OF WAG BENNETT'S OLD GLOBE WEIGHTS WHEN HIS GYM CLOSED. JEALOUS.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 pm

David Gentle wrote:JUst a thought, recently i was unsure of the whereabouts of Kendo Nagaski, not knowing of his web site which you informed me of and thanks,well, i am pleased to let you know that he will be attending the British Annual Wrestlers Reunion this year in full mask etc as a special guest at the Bridges Public House, South Darenth Kent on the ist Sunday of August this year, so its your chance tosee a legend. whatch out as about 350 old time wrestlers attend, its not really a public function, although all welcome as long as you buy a pint in Bill Bridges pub, also see Sarah, female muscle champ, widest shoulders in the female business . but hurry as each year we lose more and more of the old TV World of sport old timers, like last year it was old Mick Mc Manus. go also to the britishannualwrestlersreunion.com site for current news, watch out tho because i am on it under articles etc having been to over 20 plus years of reunions. David Gentle..Frank Rimers is the mc and organiser great guy
That sounds great David and I would love to attend, but besides family obligations, I really don't have the money for a trip to England & all to begin with (or a passport for that matter).

I've been to the http://www.britishwrestlersreunion.com/ website before, but I definitely need to go explore it more sometime. :)

peter yates wrote:BEEN BUSY LATELY SO JUST CHECKED THE SITE. SO DANNY I ACTUALLY FOUND A PAIR OF LARGE PLASTIC CONTAINERS OPEN AT ONE END WITH FLAT BOTTOMS AND ROUND IN SHAPE SORT OF LIKE LARGE FISH BOWLS. I MADE A HOLE IN THE FLAT END AND PLACED A PIECE OF PVC PIPE IN THE CENTER OF THE GLOBE TO PUSH THE BAR THROUGH. AROUND THE PIPE I PUT CHICKEN WIRE IN LAYERS EVERY FEW INCHES ON WHICH I PUT SHORT IRON BARS FOR EXTRA WEIGHT AND REINFORCEMENT AND CONCRETE ON TOP OF THE WIRE. WHEN DRY I PUSHED THE BAR THROUGH WITH INSIDE COLLARS IN PLACE. I LEFT AN EXTRA 6 INCHES AT EACH END TO ADD EXTRA PLATES. I DID NOT REMOVE THE CONTAINERS JUST PAINTED THEM WITH BLACK PLASTIC PAINT.WHILE NOT THE REAL THING THEY LOOK THE PART AND IT IS FUN DOING SOME EXERCISES WITH THEM. THE STRONGMAN STONE MOLDS WOULD WORK JUST AS WELL BUT THE COST FOR THE ONES I MADE WERE MINIMAL AS I HAD MOST OF THE STUFF LYING AROUND. I KNOW A COUPLE OF PEOPLE WHO GOT SOME OF WAG BENNETT'S OLD GLOBE WEIGHTS WHEN HIS GYM CLOSED. JEALOUS.
REGARDS, PETER.
No worries Peter, I've been busy lately myself and so I haven't been posting much.

It sounds like your homemade globe barbell was well thought out & put together, and I'm sure looks great too! I don't think I have any of the materials required to make my own globe barbell laying around, so if I was to make my own I'd have to go buy the materials. At any rate, it's a project I may just set out to do sometime down the road.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:25 am

Here's an interesting video of Otto Arco. First he gives a demonstration of muscle control, then a demonstration of hand balancing along with his brother Pete, then back to muscle control.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccNYf5YcgvA[/video]

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:23 pm

HI DANNY,
THANKS FOR THIS. CERTAINLY ONE OF THE BEST MUSCLE CONTROL ARTISTS AND GREAT HAND BALANCING PERFORMER.HAD TO TURN THE SOUND DOWN THOUGH,
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates