Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuilders

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

DannyBoy

Re: Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuild

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:22 am

Here's a very interesting historical video uploaded to YouTube just three weeks ago; it's a few seconds worth of a wrestling match between Josef Steinbach and Bruno Hackenschmidt from 1911. Josef Steinbach was of course an Olympic gold (& silver) medalist and 3-time World Champion weightlifter, he set numerous world records and was certainly one of the very best weightlifters & strongest men of his time. Bruno Hackenschmidt was notably the younger (& lesser known) brother of the great Georg Hackenschmidt. Steinbach is the bigger of two men.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9NCtLvpSrA[/video]

It's cool to finally see film of Josef Steinbach as I had searched for some in the past without any success. Though what I was looking for was film of him weightlifting from the 1906 Olympic Games &/or from one of World Championships he competed at, but being that I'm a big professional wrestling fan, it was still really cool to discover & see this particular footage of him. Steinbach may have been the first Olympic gold medalist to compete in professional wrestling.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:32 am

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
THANKS FOR THIS. CERTAINLY ONE OF THE BEST MUSCLE CONTROL ARTISTS AND GREAT HAND BALANCING PERFORMER.HAD TO TURN THE SOUND DOWN THOUGH,
REGARDS, PETER.
No problem Peter, you're welcome. :)

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with the music in that Otto Arco video, lol. It just seems so out of place & inappropriate. The guy who uploaded the video said in the comments section that the original clip was silent, but why exactly he chose to use that particular music is beyond me....

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Wed May 20, 2015 8:50 am

In the Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera "Ruddigore", one of the characters called Mad Margaret (so called because when she discovered that her intended was a Bad Baronet of Ruddigore, she went mad in the same way that Opheila went mad in Hamlet) she declares "Shall I tell you one of poor Mad Margaret's odd thoughts?". Well, I am not quite sure if this would class as an "odd thought" but has anyone ever considered posting an advert / post on any number of bodybuilding forums saying the following:

"Are you a strongman / bodybuilder / fitness athlete? Would you like to appear online in your own video? As part of an ongoing project to keep alive the concept of physical culture, we are looking for people who would be interested in recreating both still and moving images of past displays of physical culture with modern day people"

As I said it could be considered an "odd thought" but perhaps if people began to see acts of physical culture online it might generate some more interest and by association start to revive what appears to have rather flagging in recent years.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed May 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:In the Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera "Ruddigore", one of the characters called Mad Margaret (so called because when she discovered that her intended was a Bad Baronet of Ruddigore, she went mad in the same way that Opheila went mad in Hamlet) she declares "Shall I tell you one of poor Mad Margaret's odd thoughts?". Well, I am not quite sure if this would class as an "odd thought" but has anyone ever considered posting an advert / post on any number of bodybuilding forums saying the following:

"Are you a strongman / bodybuilder / fitness athlete? Would you like to appear online in your own video? As part of an ongoing project to keep alive the concept of physical culture, we are looking for people who would be interested in recreating both still and moving images of past displays of physical culture with modern day people"

As I said it could be considered an "odd thought" but perhaps if people began to see acts of physical culture online it might generate some more interest and by association start to revive what appears to have rather flagging in recent years.
Well I don't think it's an "odd thought", it sounds like a good idea to me. Though it may be necessary to explain what exactly physical culture is since I imagine many today unfortunately aren't familiar with the term or concept of physical culture.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed May 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Here's some weightlifting footage featuring the great British world champion Louis Martin.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaMix3VuyXE[/video]

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 20, 2015 2:10 pm

HI HARRY,
AS USUAL YOUR IDEAS ARE NOT FAR OUT BUT ONLY WHAT OTHERS MAY NOT THINK OF. THE FACT THAT PHYSICAL CULTURE HAS BEEN DOCUMENTED OVER THE PAST 100 YEARS HAS ENABLED US TO HAVE SO MUCH INFORMATION TO DRAW UPON AND THE REASON FOR THIS SITE. CONTINUED DOCUMENTATION IS IMPORTANT FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS. DANNY'S SUGGESTION DETAILING WHAT PHYSICAL CULTURE ACTUALLY MEANS IS NECESSARY AS OFTEN TODAY IT IS USED TO DESCRIBE WOMEN'S AND CHILDREN'S GROUP TYPE EXERCISE OFTEN WITHOUT EQUIPMENT.
HI DANNY, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THE CLIP OF LOUIS MARTIN. HIS SQUAT CLEANS AND SNATCHES WERE ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO WATCH.
REGARDS,PETER.
Peter Yates

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu May 21, 2015 12:23 pm

Seeing as those who are far more knowledgeable than I will ever be, seem to think that my idea of modern day re-creations of physical culture photos and videos is an actual goer, I have posted that request for interest in a bodybuilding forum and will let you know if I get any replies.
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu May 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:Seeing as those who are far more knowledgeable than I will ever be, seem to think that my idea of modern day re-creations of physical culture photos and videos is an actual goer, I have posted that request for interest in a bodybuilding forum and will let you know if I get any replies.
Don't sell yourself & your knowledge short. Anyway, I hope you get some replies. :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Thu May 21, 2015 12:56 pm

HARRY,
YOU ARE INTELLIGENT, ARTICULATE, KNOW HOW TO ORGANISE AND HAVE AN OBVIOUS LOVE FOR PHYSICAL CULTURE AND ITS HISTORY. YOU ALSO HAVE A FLAIR FOR WRITING AND ARE AN ASSET TO THE FORUM AND SITE IN GENERAL. HOPE THE IDEA BEARS FRUIT.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed May 27, 2015 4:02 pm

peter yates wrote:HARRY,
YOU ARE INTELLIGENT, ARTICULATE, KNOW HOW TO ORGANISE AND HAVE AN OBVIOUS LOVE FOR PHYSICAL CULTURE AND ITS HISTORY. YOU ALSO HAVE A FLAIR FOR WRITING AND ARE AN ASSET TO THE FORUM AND SITE IN GENERAL. HOPE THE IDEA BEARS FRUIT.
REGARDS, PETER.
Well put & very true, Peter!