Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuilders

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

DannyBoy

Re: Videos of Old Physical Culturists, Strongmen & Bodybuild

Post by DannyBoy » Wed May 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Somebody uploaded to YouTube the entirety (almost 2 hours) of Larry Scott's "Hyper Growth System" training video from back in the day, so I thought I'd post it here for anyone who may be interested.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18EYQKUhLoE[/video]

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 pm

Here's a video put together by WatchMojo.com on the Top 10 Famous Male Bodybuilders. It's an interesting little watch. Let me know what you all think about the list.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2w39SEZQpU[/video]

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:54 am

Here's a couple videos of Ken Patera and "Mr. USA" Tony Atlas performing feats strength (including driving a nail through a board, blowing up a hot water bottle, bending a spike and bending a steel bar) from Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling in 1978. This comes from the world of professional wrestling and could've been worked, but in any case Patera & Atlas were both exceptionally strong men. Of course prior to his pro wrestling career, Ken Patera had a stand out weightlifting career; winning 4 U.S. National Weightlifting Championships, gold at the 1971 Pan American Games, silver at the 1971 World Weightlifting Championships and competing at the 1972 Olympic Games. Patera also competed and placed 3rd at the inaugural World's Strongest Man competition in 1977. Tony Atlas was more of a bodybuilder, but known to be a strong one (I've heard he was able to bench press as much as 650lbs in his prime, though whether that's fact or exaggeration I don't know), and "Mr. USA" wasn't just a nickname as he actually won the 1979 Pro Mr. USA contest promoted by Dan Lurie's WBBG and before that he'd also placed 2nd in the Tall category at the 1979 WBBG Pro Mr. America contest. Though these videos are from before Atlas became "Mr. USA". Anyway, even if you're not a pro wrestling fan, this stuff is pretty fun to watch.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwmQHOJdHk[/video]
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7HCXLqnmWE[/video]

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:10 am

Here's a cool little video uploaded to YouTube yesterday by Lou Ferrigno of him and Arnold Schwarzenegger working out at Gold's Gym Venice.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyDyqsqdRs[/video]

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:45 pm

Here's a video I came across which is of an old recording by Tromp Van Diggelen titled "Breathing Made Easy" where he describes breathing exercises to use in order to improve one's breathing. I find the it pretty interesting, but clearly the guy who recorded & uploaded this video doesn't take Van Diggelen's recording too seriously. To each their own I guess, I like that he played the record on a phonograph though.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckXtYRTbjFk[/video]

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:10 pm

HI DANNY,
THANKS FOR DIGGING THIS OUT. WHAT A GEM. I HAVE MENTIONED ELSEWHERE THAT VAN DIGGELEN'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY IS WELL WORTH READING. I HAVE LONG SUSPECTED THAT THE EARLY WESTERN PIONEERS OF PHYSICAL CULTURE FREELY BORROWED FROM EASTERN METHODS. THE DESCRIPTIONS OF BREATHING LAID OUT BY VAN DIGGELEN SEEM TO BEAR THIS OUT. I AM GLAD THE GUY POSTED IT BUT HE IS WHAT WE WOULD CALL IN ENGLAND A WANKER. :D
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:03 am

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
THANKS FOR DIGGING THIS OUT. WHAT A GEM. I HAVE MENTIONED ELSEWHERE THAT VAN DIGGELEN'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY IS WELL WORTH READING. I HAVE LONG SUSPECTED THAT THE EARLY WESTERN PIONEERS OF PHYSICAL CULTURE FREELY BORROWED FROM EASTERN METHODS. THE DESCRIPTIONS OF BREATHING LAID OUT BY VAN DIGGELEN SEEM TO BEAR THIS OUT. I AM GLAD THE GUY POSTED IT BUT HE IS WHAT WE WOULD CALL IN ENGLAND A WANKER. :D
REGARDS, PETER.
I most definitely agree, this recording is a real gem! It leaves me quite curious though.... there's numerous books, magazine articles, mail-order courses, pamphlets & the like that were written by physical culturists/strongmen/weightlifters/bodybuilders of the early 20th century, but this causes me to wonder how many more recordings may be out there that are by Tromp Van Diggelen and any other early legendary & important figures in physical culture?? I really don't know if records &/or phonograph cylinders were ever a medium that was much utilized by physical culturists of the late 1800's & early 1900's to convey their knowledge & teachings.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:17 pm

TO BE HONEST DANNY THIS IS THE FIRST THAT I HAVE HEARD OF. I GUESS IT WOULD HAVE DEPENEDED ON HOW LEARNED AND ELOQUENT THEY WERE. WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF ANY MORE ARE DISCOVERED.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:14 am

peter yates wrote:TO BE HONEST DANNY THIS IS THE FIRST THAT I HAVE HEARD OF. I GUESS IT WOULD HAVE DEPENEDED ON HOW LEARNED AND ELOQUENT THEY WERE. WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF ANY MORE ARE DISCOVERED.
REGARDS, PETER.
I didn't think about that, but it's definitely an excellent point. In Tromp Van Diggelen's case, he clearly was an educated and well spoken man.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:12 pm

After mentioning the great Lamar Gant in the "Inspiring" thread, I thought I would post this video of him deadlifting 634lb at a weight of 123lb.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSVqlh7ePb8[/video]