WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post your favourite Physical Culture YouTube videos. Also visit the "Features" area of our site for a wide selection of fascinating videos that are sure to please.

Moderators: DannyBoy, Harry Hayfield, David Gentle

peter yates
Posts: 2381
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by peter yates » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:56 pm

A CLIP OF ONE OF THE GREAT OLD TIME PERFORMING STRONGMEN.HE PERFORMED DAY IN AND DAY OUT ON THE BOARDWALK AT CONEY ISLAND, BROOKLYN.[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkEaVuqHlo[/video]
Peter Yates

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:13 pm

peter yates wrote:A CLIP OF ONE OF THE GREAT OLD TIME PERFORMING STRONGMEN.HE PERFORMED DAY IN AND DAY OUT ON THE BOARDWALK AT CONEY ISLAND, BROOKLYN.[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkEaVuqHlo[/video]
I love that barbell. Terry Todd was able to acquire it a few years ago and it's now at the Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports. What a great piece of iron game history it is.

User avatar
David Gentle
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by David Gentle » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:36 pm

That clip of the Young Apollo (was he an Ozzy?) looked really dangerous , and he also had a great physique, i was quite impressed with that, didnt like the look of the car on the plank. Also liked his teeth lift and would love a video of the classic picture of Steve Reeves lifting George Eiferman with his pearlies. David Gentle.p.s. this site reinforced with Danny Boys movie clips is amazing, despite a lifetime in p.c. i still get a kick out of viewing old timers in film clips ive not seen before, thanks for that Danny. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:08 pm

David Gentle wrote:That clip of the Young Apollo (was he an Ozzy?) looked really dangerous , and he also had a great physique, i was quite impressed with that, didnt like the look of the car on the plank. Also liked his teeth lift and would love a video of the classic picture of Steve Reeves lifting George Eiferman with his pearlies. David Gentle.p.s. this site reinforced with Danny Boys movie clips is amazing, despite a lifetime in p.c. i still get a kick out of viewing old timers in film clips ive not seen before, thanks for that Danny. David Gentle
Oh no problem, you're welcome David. Thank you for the compliment. In this case though, Peter's to thank for posting this great video of Warren Lincoln Travis. :)

Yes, The Mighty Young Apollo (Paul Anderson) was Australian. I'll start a new thread for the video clip of him that you're referring to.

User avatar
David Gentle
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by David Gentle » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:10 am

I also thought Travis amazing and wrote a long two part article on him back in BODYBUILDING MONTHLY, which i have posted to Diane, so she may be able to use it. i know Grimek liked him. I think Travis actually died "in the harness" as it were. His reps were very fast and short ones, but he used some fantastic poundages. Just imagine how we would have loved Coney island in those days... David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com

peter yates
Posts: 2381
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by peter yates » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:03 pm

HI DAVID,
YES W.L.T. WAS THE REAL DEAL BY ALL ACCOUNTS AND HE DID DIE WHILE PERFORMING. CONEY ISLAND MUST HAVE BEEN SOMETHING IN THOSE DAYS WITH THE LIKES OF TRAVIS AND THE MIGHTY ATOM PERFORMING DAILY. WHEN MY SON WAS A BABY WE LIVED IN BROOKLYN AND WOULD WALK THE 30 MINUTES TO CONEY ISLAND ON THE WEEKENDS. WHILE THE BEACH AREA IS STILL FUN IT IS OVERALL A SAD REMINDER OF A FORMER GLORY. ATTEMPTS HAVE BEEN MADE OVER THE YEARS TO RESURRECT BUT THERE MAY BE NEITHER THE MONEY NOR THE INTEREST. BY THE WAY ON ONE TRIP THERE I SAW AN OLD GLOBE BARBELL IN A JUNK SHOP BUT AS WE HAD WALKED THERE DID NOT GET IT. I SHOULD HAVE GIVEN THE GUY SOME MONEY TO HOLD IT FOR ME AS WHEN I FINALLY GOT SOMEONE TO DRIVE ME BACK IT HAD GONE. WHO KNOW WHO THAT BARBELL HAD BELONGED TO.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:31 am

peter yates wrote:HI DAVID,
YES W.L.T. WAS THE REAL DEAL BY ALL ACCOUNTS AND HE DID DIE WHILE PERFORMING. CONEY ISLAND MUST HAVE BEEN SOMETHING IN THOSE DAYS WITH THE LIKES OF TRAVIS AND THE MIGHTY ATOM PERFORMING DAILY. WHEN MY SON WAS A BABY WE LIVED IN BROOKLYN AND WOULD WALK THE 30 MINUTES TO CONEY ISLAND ON THE WEEKENDS. WHILE THE BEACH AREA IS STILL FUN IT IS OVERALL A SAD REMINDER OF A FORMER GLORY. ATTEMPTS HAVE BEEN MADE OVER THE YEARS TO RESURRECT BUT THERE MAY BE NEITHER THE MONEY NOR THE INTEREST. BY THE WAY ON ONE TRIP THERE I SAW AN OLD GLOBE BARBELL IN A JUNK SHOP BUT AS WE HAD WALKED THERE DID NOT GET IT. I SHOULD HAVE GIVEN THE GUY SOME MONEY TO HOLD IT FOR ME AS WHEN I FINALLY GOT SOMEONE TO DRIVE ME BACK IT HAD GONE. WHO KNOW WHO THAT BARBELL HAD BELONGED TO.
REGARDS, PETER.
Aww man, that stinks. That would've great to have! How much did the barbell weigh?

I just recently missed out on acquiring an old globe barbell myself. I came across a 100lb globe barbell on eBay about 3 or 4 weeks ago and unlike is often the case when these things pop up, the seller was willing to ship it. Usually it's local pickup only with these kinds of things. Anyway, the opening bid was only $60 and I bid a maximum of $77 and was the only one who bid on it until about there was about 5 seconds left in auction when someone out bid me. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, lol, but I got over it after a day or two. That price was frankly too good to pass up because usually these antique barbells cost hundreds of dollars when they do pop up online, but I simply didn't have the money to bid more than I did. Having it shipped from Portersville, PA to here was gonna be about $78, so a max bid of $77 was about as high as I could go. Who knows if bidding a bit more would've even mattered since I have no idea what the maximum bid was of the person who out bid me. I tried at least. I hope whoever got it enjoys it, they certainly got it for a great price.

Anyway, here's a couple photos of the globe barbell from the auction:

Image Image

Obviously it would've needed some clean up and a paint job, but other than cosmetically, it was in excellent condition according to the seller.

peter yates
Posts: 2381
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:34 pm

HEY DANNY,
LOOKS LIKE WE BOTH MISSED OUT. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE BARBELL AT CONEY ISLAND WAS 8OLB. THE GUY ONLY WANTED 40 BUCKS FOR IT. IT WAS PROPPED UP ON ONE END AGAINST THE WALL AS I REMEMBER BUT NOT ESPECIALLY EASY TO SEE. DO NOT KNOW WHO BOUGHT IT BUT THEY GOT A GOOD DEAL AND OBVIOUSLY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE AFTER. HOPE THEY ENJOYED IT.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

User avatar
DannyBoy
Posts: 2015
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:25 pm

peter yates wrote:HEY DANNY,
LOOKS LIKE WE BOTH MISSED OUT. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE BARBELL AT CONEY ISLAND WAS 8OLB. THE GUY ONLY WANTED 40 BUCKS FOR IT. IT WAS PROPPED UP ON ONE END AGAINST THE WALL AS I REMEMBER BUT NOT ESPECIALLY EASY TO SEE. DO NOT KNOW WHO BOUGHT IT BUT THEY GOT A GOOD DEAL AND OBVIOUSLY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE AFTER. HOPE THEY ENJOYED IT.
REGARDS, PETER.
Yep, they would've been great to have and treasured by each us, but I think it's safe to say you and me both have all we really need to train. Of course if the opportunity to acquire an antique globe barbell arises again for you or me, I don't suspect either one of us would just pass it up without trying. ;) :mrgreen:

peter yates
Posts: 2381
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: NEW YORK, USA

Re: WARREN LINCOLN TRAVIS

Post by peter yates » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:44 pm

HI DANNY,
YES YOU ARE RIGHT WE BOTH HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR OUR NEEDS BUT AS YOU SAY IF THE OPPORTUNITY CAME WE WOULD TAKE IT. TO ANY TRUE LOVER OF THE OLD IRON GAME AND PC HISTORY HAVING SOMETHING IN YOUR HANDS THAT HAS BEEN A REAL PART OF THAT HISTORY IS PRICELESS.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

Post Reply